Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Canmore (near Banff) - Four Points left SPG 5/12/2008, to become Hilton

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canmore (near Banff) - Four Points left SPG 5/12/2008, to become Hilton

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2006, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Agree completely with the last post. Just got back from a vacation in Banff. Stayed at the Rimrock, and while it is a great hotel, I'd rather stay in Canmore and save serious $$$. While the uber-high-end restaurants are in Banff, the selection falls off pretty quickly after that. There are some great mid- to upper-tier restaurants in Canmore that are well worth trying. Also, you pay a pretty ugly hotel tax in Banff that I don't think that you have to pay in Canmore.
Old Aug 5, 2006, 6:09 pm

Programs: AA Plat
It is true to each his own.... I have to agree with the last couple of posters. We just spent 8 nights in Canmore, though not at the 4 points. Stayed at Residence Inn. We had an annual Canadian National park pass so did not have to pay per day for entry into Banff.

We spent time in Banff, and preferred Canmore over Banff ourselves. The drive to Banff was 10 or so minutes. Canmore to us feels more laid back while a bit artsy. Also something that could be missed in Canmore the drive up pne of the mountains to Spray Lakes (past the Nordic center.) Gravely road, but amazing views and sites. Loved it.

The hotels are definitely not as resort or 5 star as the Fairmont (I've stayed there before), but for our little family of 3 Canmore was great.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 7:35 am

I've stayed at this property a number of times and offer the following comments:

1. It's a relatively new hotel and one of the nicest FP's I've stayed at.
2. There isn't a heck of a lot to do in Canmore, but Banff is just down the road.
3. I've also stayed in Banff a number of times and must agree that a walk down their main street once is more than enough.

The bottom line is that I will definitely be returning to the FP's next year and would not hesitate to recommend the property. With that said, I would also suggest looking at rates in Banff. I definitely wouldn't pay more to stay at the FP's.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 1:51 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by Braindrain
Canmore is a small little town with a single street of shopping and restaurants although there are other restaurants a little more spread out. The 4 Points is in an unfortunate location in Canmore being about the furthest hotel away from this street.
If you're daft enough to go to the rockies to shop then yes, I guess you'll have issues.

You have to pay an entry fee every time you enter Banff. However, I can't remember if staying a longer length of time reduces the fee significantly. But, we're only talking a couple of bucks. The drive to Banff is about 30 min or so.
Completely untrue. You pay an entry fee to PARK in Banff National Park. There's no fee to ENTER the park. And you can buy a weekly parking pass.

Definitely much more to do in Banff. If it's your first time, you may not like the location. If you are hell-bent on staying at a SPG hotel and don't mind saving a couple of $$, then it will serve that purpose.
Again, if you're going to the rocky mountains to shop, you'll find Canmore a drag. However, there are just as many great trails and bars, and you don't have to deal with the tourist BS that you would have to on the main strip in Banff.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 4:36 pm
exAC

I stay at the Canmore 4Points about four times a year. It is always a nice friendly hotel and they try their best to treat Platinum's well. The service and cleanliness of the hotel is above par.

Canmore itself is a jewel and compares well with Banff, if you have already done the Banff thing. You can still go to Banff from Canmore if you want. Canmore is where the people that work in Banff live. There are far more locals than tourists and it is the kind of town 'where everyone knows your name' if you live there. They also do not mind tourists as most of the people that live there are imports from somewhere else in Canada and the World.

I disagree with Blonde Bomber on the restaurant selection because I find the places in Canmore to be better. Many of the best places in Canmore are located in partially renovated old houses off the main street. Try Tapas, Copper Door or Zona's for intimate dining. To meet the locals go to the pubs at The Drake, Sherwoods or the Grizzly Paw. At the Grizzly Paw only drink their made on the spot ales and lagers. For a great brunch while you sit outside and enjoy the scenery go up the mountain behind the hotel and eat at the Summit Cafe . You can go California kitsch at Murrieta's, but I have been once and although the food is good, it was too formal.

I should not forget that the restaurant in the 4Points is also really good, it's called Renzo's. Here is a list of places to eat in Canmore:
http://www.ultimaterockies.com/tools...g_canmore.html

Canmore is a Big Dog type of town and most all of the locals have one. Anyone who has made their living by working a ski resort in the winter and building houses in the summer lives in Canmore. If you brag about your back country adventures to Canmore people, then be sure to be able to back up your stories, as the people here live that life. Well half of them anyway. The other half own million dollar houses and condos that they only use a few weeks of the year.

As to a Park Pass for your car. You do need one unless you are staying only in the Banff town site or driving straight through on the main highway to B.C. Any other roads and you have to have it. Not even stopping for gas in Lake Louise is allowed.

Last edited by exAC; Aug 6, 2006 at 4:53 pm

Old Aug 6, 2006, 9:40 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by cur
If you're daft enough to go to the rockies to shop then yes, I guess you'll have issues.
If you're daft enough to go on vacation without buying anything, well, then you should camp out at KOA sites and BBQ some road kill.

Originally Posted by cur
Completely untrue. You pay an entry fee to PARK in Banff National Park. There's no fee to ENTER the park. And you can buy a weekly parking pass.
How's the OP going to get in? Walk from Calgary? And others have noted the weekly parking pass equates to a similar amount as a daily charge.

Originally Posted by cur
Again, if you're going to the rocky mountains to shop, you'll find Canmore a drag. However, there are just as many great trails and bars, and you don't have to deal with the tourist BS that you would have to on the main strip in Banff.
Maybe you should tell that to the thousands of tourists who enter Banff to shop, amongst other things.
Old Aug 6, 2006, 10:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
I've stayed at this hotel a number of times and for a 4 points it's not bad but certainly not inexpensive. As others have noted it's location isn't the greatest for going into town but really the only real complaint I've had is that as a Gold the late checkout is really reluctantly given(I'm not talking 4 p.m here just 12:30 as I'm usually flying from YYC at 4). Once they started phoning from the front desk asking if I was ready to leave starting at 11:45 and this continued till 12:30 when I received a knock on the door from the room cleaner who said he couldn't go home until he'd cleaned my room. I was packed anyway so I left but I was seriously pissed. I'm not a complainer but this was the first time in any SPG hotel I'd ever got this treatment. On the positive side on a gorgeous summer night if you have a room with a western view the sunset on the Fairholme range and down the highway to Banff is stunning. Better than anything in Banff itself.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 5:17 pm
cur

If you're daft enough to go on vacation without buying anything, well, then you should camp out at KOA sites and BBQ some road kill.

Maybe you should tell that to the thousands of tourists who enter Banff to shop, amongst other things.
I was going to say something, but then I saw that you're in the vicinity of Whistler, which is only really good for shopping at Gucci.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 5:27 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by cur
I was going to say something, but then I saw that you're in the vicinity of Whistler, which is only really good for shopping at Gucci.
Gucci? That's too low-brow for me.
Old Aug 10, 2006, 7:23 pm
cur

Gucci? That's too low-brow for me.
Yeah yeah, you west vancouverite.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 11:49 am

Just a heads up, from the Starwood Hotels site that this property is leaving Starwood as of May 12, 2008.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 4:15 pm
iwc

Originally Posted by superdawg
Just a heads up, from the Starwood Hotels site that this property is leaving Starwood as of May 12, 2008.
Maybe it is time to update SPG.TV which shows this property as a "showcase" for Four Points.
Old Apr 14, 2008, 9:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3*G
I liked this property very much and have stayed there 3 times. Was upgraded to 2 story loft suite as a Gold.
Sad to see it leave Starwood as I had planned to stay there twice this summer. Now I probably won't stay there since I lose out on my benefits.
I had the room with the 10 minute jacuzzi as well, that was disappointing, but front desk gave $20 in breakfast voucher to make up for it. Also the $89 rates I stayed at were pretty nice.

Best 4 Points I stayed at.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by sjefenole
Best 4 Points I stayed at.
I second that. Sad to see this one leaving SPG.
Old Apr 17, 2008, 8:53 am

Current rumors have this hotel becoming a Hilton, we'll have to wait and see what happens

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.