Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Canmore (near Banff) - Four Points left SPG 5/12/2008, to become Hilton

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canmore (near Banff) - Four Points left SPG 5/12/2008, to become Hilton

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2004, 1:05 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP - Aeroplan 50K
Thanks for the input, folks ! I'm based out of YYC so I know the Canmore area quite well; I just hadn't stayed at this 4 Pts yet - it sounds like it will be just fine. Thanks again.

Singlepoint
Old Feb 1, 2006, 8:59 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Any more recent experiences here? Early reviews complained about poor mattresses, poor sound insulation, and dim fluorescent bulbs, but otherwise had good things to say. The web site now touts the 4 Comforts bed, which I assume means that the mattress problems are solved. Anyone care to confirm or dispute this?
Old Feb 1, 2006, 11:41 am

Programs: AP*SE, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, FPC Plat, Hyatt Diamond
I stayed there again in Aug 2005, and yes, they had the 4 Comfort bed which was just fine. (VERY fine, in fact, I was just exhausted with an awful cold, and sinking into that bed was wonderful.)

Still noisy, unfortunately, and still those awful lights - not dim at all, if anything, too bright white - feels like you're in a hospital room. On the plus side, still very friendly and helpful staff, though! I would return - with earplugs.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 12:30 am

I too stayed here in August 2005. As SPG Plat I was upgraded without asking to one of the "loft suites" described above with two bathrooms, in-room jacuzzi, fireplace, and bar. Free high speed wireless was nice as was the extremely comfortable 4 Pts. Comfort Bed. Great stay, nice location, and I didn't even notice any excessive noise.
Old Feb 5, 2006, 6:13 am

Programs: SPG LTP
Last stay was in July last year

No upgrade (Plat) but very nice room nonetheless, good beds, no noise issue (even though hotel is literally right next to the highway).

Overall I would describe this hotel as very good value for money, but without any frills ... read: as you would expect from a 4Pts, so no complaint ... just note that the website description & pictures make the hotel look a little more exclusive than it really is.

The hotel setting is great to get into Banff national park, without paying the absurd prices in Banff itself. Canmore itself was a positive surprise, a few nice little restaurants etc, bear in mind that it's quite a walk from the hotel though.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 10:37 am

Programs: Starwood Platinum, NWA Platinum, Marriott Silver, AA, UAL, USAir, etc.
Exclamation Canmore (near Banff) - Four Points leaving SPG 5/12/2008

Anyone have thoughts on staying in Canmore, at the Four Points, rather than staying directly in Banff? Pro's? Con's?
Old Jul 29, 2006, 10:57 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
There are a couple of threads on this property re quality of stay, e.g.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...hlight=canmore

Better dining choices etc overall in Banff. Depends what you are going to be doing. Costs will be more in Banff but if you want to have wine at a fine restaurant (there are some good places in Canmore but Banff has the choice) and walk back to the hotel, this isn't the property to do it from.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 1:52 pm

Better off in Banff

Originally Posted by mjharad
Anyone have thoughts on staying in Canmore, at the Four Points, rather than staying directly in Banff? Pro's? Con's?
My Father stayed there a couple of times over the past few years and was not impressed with the level of service. I think you would be better off spending a few extra $$$ and staying in Banff.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 3:06 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Canmore is a small little town with a single street of shopping and restaurants although there are other restaurants a little more spread out. The 4 Points is in an unfortunate location in Canmore being about the furthest hotel away from this street.

You have to pay an entry fee every time you enter Banff. However, I can't remember if staying a longer length of time reduces the fee significantly. But, we're only talking a couple of bucks. The drive to Banff is about 30 min or so.

Definitely much more to do in Banff. If it's your first time, you may not like the location. If you are hell-bent on staying at a SPG hotel and don't mind saving a couple of $$, then it will serve that purpose.
Old Jul 29, 2006, 6:18 pm

Programs: SQ*PPS, QF-WP1 & LTG, VA-Gold, Marriott*LTT, Hilton*Gold, Accor*Platinum
Four points? Given all the hotels and the development around, its value for money.

If you want a top hotel, pick the Banff Springs, Chateau Lake Louise, or Rimrock (in that order). If you want a good price and Starwood points, and aren't looking for first rate service (not that its bad, but its not the best I've ever been in), take the four points.

The outdoor jacuzzi that overlooks the 3 sisters is nice too
Old Jul 30, 2006, 9:22 am

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex
Originally Posted by Braindrain

You have to pay an entry fee every time you enter Banff. However, I can't remember if staying a longer length of time reduces the fee significantly. But, we're only talking a couple of bucks. The drive to Banff is about 30 min or so.

If you're staying in Banff, don't you have to pay a fee that covers all of the days you'll be there? If so, this cost should be the same or less for staying in Canmore as opposed to staying in Banff.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 12:06 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets
If you're staying in Banff, don't you have to pay a fee that covers all of the days you'll be there? If so, this cost should be the same or less for staying in Canmore as opposed to staying in Banff.
Yes, that's what I meant although it may not have communicated in the same way.
Old Jul 30, 2006, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/v...s_E.asp?park=1
Old Aug 2, 2006, 11:04 am

Programs: CO, Starwood, AA, DL, Hilton, Marriott
Let me stand on the side of the defense for Canmore and its 4Points. We just stayed there on Saturday and liked the town and hotel better than Banff. We were not at one of the big resorts in Banff, but a small bed and breakfast. If you like chain stores, tourist bus crowds and development, then stay in Banff. Canmore's one main street of shops and restaurants was plenty for us and we wish we had spent our 2 nights in Canmore as opposed to Banff.

There is no real difference with the fees, as you end up paying for 24-hour blocks to spend in the park, regardless of where you sleep. You would have to wait in the toll line if you do this everyday, but you could also just get a 2- or 3-day pass and bypass it each day. Banff itself is about a 20-minute drive (I think it was 22 kilometers) from Canmore.

The hotel itself is a standard 4Points, so there service is not what you would expect at a resort anyways. But when we checked in and found they had us in a double room, they upgraded us to a suite when they were sold out of kngs. They outdoor hot tub looked nice, although there were always people in it.

The 4Points' location is hardly ideal, on the other side of the highway from town. But I'm guessing almost everyone will have come in a car, so driving the less-than-a-mlle to downtown is not much of a hardship. Street parking in Canmore is free and plentiful. Not sure of its cost in Banff, but it is hardly plentiful.

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 3, 2006, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA, CO, DL, WN, SPG Gold
Having lived in Calgary for over 20 years and spent a great deal of time in Banff summer & winter, another thing to remember is this...

Once you have walked up and down the 6 square block shopping area in Banff townsite, everything to do in Banff Park is not in the townsite core. You have to drive.

If you are staying in Banff, and going anywhere, you have to drive through a portion of the townsite to get back out to the TransCanada hwy. That can take 20 minutes in itself in summer.

So, if you are visiting Norquay, or Lake Louise, or anywhere up the Banff-Jasper hwy, you are going to get there either the same, and more likely one hell of a lot faster, from Canmore than from a hotel in the townsite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.