Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Canmore (near Banff) - Four Points left SPG 5/12/2008, to become Hilton

Old Aug 10, 2002, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Any one have comments on this property? What type of u/g have then given out in the past?
Old Aug 10, 2002, 9:33 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AlmostThere:
Any one have comments on this property? What type of u/g have then given out in the past?</font>
it's a 4points...it's in canmore...I would think that would tell you all you need to know about u/g's

edited for spelling

[This message has been edited by squeakr (edited 08-10-2002).]
Old Aug 10, 2002, 11:10 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood Plt, Hilton Gold (got it free) AC Elite, Fairmont Plt, Priority Club Plt
Hi:

The hotel is new and is a good 4 Points; however it is on the side of the Trans Canada a busy road at this time of year. You have to drive to Canmore if you wish to walk around town. Aprox. 5 minutes.

Close to golf and Banff.

Upgrades are sometimes offered and the hotel has some suites. Upgrades are subject to availability and at this time of year is hit and miss. You may want to call the hotel for your planned night to see how their bookings are if this is important. Pictures are at the Starwood site indicate what the place is like however they miss the pictures of the highway!!

Regards
Old Aug 11, 2002, 9:54 am

I have stayed there 2 times and once in off season got me an upgrade to 2 story Chalet type room and the second I got nothing.

Most notibally the attitudes of the staff were terrible on the second stay. As I Plat I asked for a late check out when I checked in and they said no. I informed politely that I was plat and this was a benefit. They said no again. In the morning before I went out for breakfast I enquired with the day shift and they told me I had to be outby 11:00 am as they had a tour bus coming in.

If you want to be near Banff and the mountains then this is a good property but if you want any type of service you'll most likely be disappointed.

In the "Starwoods in Calgary" you will some reviews by myself and dmgt and others. They are about 1 hour and 15 in away on the highway.

Old Aug 12, 2002, 10:37 am

Programs: AC-SE MM, SPG Plat Lifetime, Marriott Plat, FPC Plat, HH Diamond
I stayed there in August last year. This is a nice Four Points, quite new and well maintained. Location is fine, only a few miles from the Banff National Park entrance.

Got a "superior" room on the top floor. it was quite large and clean. Got a good feeling about the hotel considering it was a Four Points.

Staff was friendly and helpful when I needed advice about restaurants in town.
Old Jan 27, 2003, 2:55 pm
tcf

Location: Edmonton, AB, Canada, AC Elite, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold
Adding a quick review from my visit this weekend.

We stayed here for a ski weekend...used points for the stay. We were upgraded to a deluxe room with huge bathroom and 2 person jacuzzi tub. (Without asking) Room appeared VERY nice when we checked in...however things started to stick out. Theses special rooms (of which there are 3, one on each floor) are right next to the ice machine...and the walls are paper thin. The jacuzzi tub would only run for about 8 minutes...and then seemed to require an hour rest. The bed we slept in was badly sloped to the center.

When I complained to the staff during check-out...the woman looked at me and said "Yeah, we hear complaints about those rooms all the time."

EXCUSE ME???????? ...?? I mean I know I was there on points, but this attitude is unexceptable...especially towards us platinums who spend big dollars at starwood hotels.

How does a person go about making a more formal complaint about this?

-tcf
Old Jan 27, 2003, 3:38 pm

Programs: US Chairman's Preferred, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tcf:
How does a person go about making a more formal complaint about this?

-tcf
</font>
As William would say, call Starwood Corporate Services at (800) 328-6242 and have them open a complaint file for you. They will contact the hotel and set things straight with you.
Old Jan 27, 2003, 3:45 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Anytime a member encounters an attitude problem or poor service from a staff-member or if the stay itself is below standards, it should be reported to Hotel Customer Service as a guest complaint issue.

You can contact them by calling 1-800-328-6242 if you are in the U.S. or Canada. Outside this area, call the Customer Contact Center closest to you (the number is on the reverse of your card) and ask to be transferred to them. You may also send an e-mail to Hotel Customer Service by accessing whichever branded web site is appropriate and clicking on 'Contact Us' or sending it directly to [email protected].

Please give as many details as possible as well as a way for them to contact you. Letters may be either mailed or faxed to the following address or fax numbers:

Starwood Hotel Customer Service
Post Office Box 141609
Austin, Texas 78714-1609

Fax numbers: 512-835-9374 or 512-835-4417

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]

Cast your vote! Visit www.freddieawards.com and choose your favorite frequent travel programs today.
Old Jan 27, 2003, 10:41 pm

Surprised to see this property taking so much flack!

I've stayed there twice in the past year, and both times thought it was the best Four Pts I've seen.

It's a nice, fairly new property with a great mountain look. Food and service in the restaurant were good. Front desk staff friendly. Plus I had decent Plat upgrades (by Four Pts standards, at least) both times.

Amazingly, I only paid C$79 (about US$50) per night both times. That's for a nice property in a mountain resort area!

My only two negatives:

- The beds (specifically the mattresses) are awful (I'll agree on that point!)
- The lights in the rooms must be the cheapest fluorescent bulbs available: all lamps and fixtures emitted a dim, poor quality light.
Old Jan 28, 2003, 5:44 am

We stayed there last winter using points. The rates are very good so I was torn between using points or just paying the rate (something like $50US). I ended up using points becuase it is only a Cat 1 hotel and we had weekend nights included at the lower point redemption rate.

The hotel is relatively new--not a conversion. It does sit by itself and Canmore is not exactly a hopping town, but the price was right. They have an outdoor hot tub and the restaurant had an Italian menu.

All and all it was one of the better FP's I've stayed in.
Old Jan 28, 2003, 6:27 pm

Programs: AC*E, Marriott Silver
I would echo the sentiments of some of the others. Relatively new hotel, the nicest Four Points I've stayed at. Received an upgrade to a larger room on a points stay last year - 2 queens and a pull out couch, corner room. Great location if you're skiing in Banff. Unless you're going to stay at the mountain, you need to get in a car and drive to the Mountain anyways - a better option/better value than anything in Banff township itself. A nice brew pub in Canmore itself (The Grizzly Paw) and the Four Points will give you a lift there in the shuttle. I'm planning a return visit in April.
Old Jan 28, 2003, 11:22 pm

Location: Calgary, AB, Canada AC Elite, SPG Plat, CO Onepass Gold
I've stayed there a few times recently. Very nice looking hotel, great location, decent staff, and incredibly low prices.

But yes, the beds (i.e. mattresses) are HORRIBLE! Lumpy, sagging in the middle, and generally unacceptable for any hotel regardless of brand. My most recent stay there was (unfortunately) my last as a result.

I guess you get what you pay for...

[This message has been edited by YYC Guy (edited 01-30-2003).]
Old Dec 2, 2004, 5:11 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP - Aeroplan 50K
4 Pts. Sheraton Canmore - Recent Reviews ?

I'm looking to stay in a loft suite at this property in early January.

Does anyone have any recent reviews of this property ? It seems that the latest were in early 2003. Reviews up until then have been very mixed - some say it's the nicest 4 Pts they've stayed in; others complained about everything from the beds and service to the lighting.

So, any recent stays to discuss ?

Cheers,

Singlepoint
Old Dec 3, 2004, 6:07 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro 2MM, HH Diamond, WoH Globalist, Bonvoy Gold
I stayed there for 3 nights in May 2004 while I was attending a conference in Banff. I had a regular room with a king bed. I don't remember having any problems with the bed. (I often DO have complaints about hotel beds.) The hotel had just installed (free) wireless high-speed internet. It worked fine most of the time. The room had cathedral ceilings and a ceiling fan, and while the furnishings were not luxurious, they were clean and in good shape. My room faced west, so I had a great view of the mountains and the spectacular sunsets.

For C$75 a night, the hotel was a bargain.
Old Dec 3, 2004, 12:23 pm

Programs: AP*SE, SPG Plat, HH Diamond, FPC Plat, Hyatt Diamond
I stayed there one night last Feb. Very pleasant staff, welcoming and cozy wood beam/ stone ski-lodge type public areas. Upgraded to a huge two-level room (loft-type bedroom with jacuzzi & separate bathroom upstairs, another full bathroom downstairs, 'wet-bar', fireplace). However, they have that awful white fluorescent lighting throughout, which I absolutely hate, enough to avoid returning to hotels containing it. Bed was perfectly comfortable. Sound (TV) travelled rather well from the room next door, as I'm sure did the jacuzzi-motor noise from our side...

So, if you don't like fluorescent lighting or are noise-sensitive, you may have issues here. Otherwise, it's a pretty nice place and has very good rates for the area. Be aware it's on the east side of the highway, away from the main part of Canmore - not walking distance to restaurants, etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.