Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Hotel Eden - Rome, Italy [Master Thread] (Left Starwood Sep. 18, 2013)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE : Hotel Eden - Rome, Italy [Master Thread] (Left Starwood Sep. 18, 2013)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2007, 6:19 am

Programs: AC - SE 1MM; *wood - P
Eden report

We just returned from 5 nights at the Eden. I had just made Platinum a couple days before our trip. We were treated very well. I was traveling with my wife and 6 year old and were upgraded to a studio room. No view, but a very quiet location overlooking a nice interior courtyard. Also received a free bottle of wine. The staff was very nice, especially to my daughter and the concierge was extremely helpful with restaurant suggestions. The view from the bar is spectacular and the location is great for exploring Rome - just down the hill to the Corso and across the street from the Villa Borghese. A short cab rides to other sites, but if you start at your most distant point, you can explore you way back to the hotel.

Other comments about the food pricing is in the money, but there are plenty of options close by. A block or so down the hill is a very nice cafe (La Fenice) for breakfast or lunch.

I'd certainly return again.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 8:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mfabbi
Also received a free bottle of wine. The staff was very nice
just stayed one night at the eden. very nice boutique type property. as a platinum, i did not receive a bottle of wine but did get a small box of chocolates. very nice hotel on a quiet street. not sure if i was upgraded but i did like my room. i am now moving to the westin which is about two or three blocks away (very close).
Old Nov 22, 2007, 9:52 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
just stayed one night at the eden. very nice boutique type property. as a platinum, i did not receive a bottle of wine but did get a small box of chocolates. very nice hotel on a quiet street. not sure if i was upgraded but i did like my room. i am now moving to the westin which is about two or three blocks away (very close).
I'll be PLT by the time we get there. I would be much happier with a box of chocolates than wine (well, TH would). We're so used to the Centro Storico, it will be interesting to see how staying here will be. Maybe we'll hit San Crispino for our farewell gelato.

Anyone know if you can arrange your own transport to the airport or you have to use their service. I would prefer to save a few euros and use my normal car service than something that the hotel recommends.

lala
Old Nov 22, 2007, 11:33 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
My wife and I spent five nights at the Eden about two weeks ago; I am a plat. We received the most beautiful room on this award stay. It had to be a suite; hallways entrance, sitting room, bed room, hallway to the bathroom. I can't say enough about this room and the upgrade on our award stay. The only problems we had were a 165.00 euro charge for breakfast that we did not eat and a charge for some Borghese tickets that we paid for ourselves at the galleria. Other than that, a great stay at a great property. I'd like to figure out the best way to say thanks to the folks there...open to suggestions.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 12:33 pm

I did not get a free bottle of wine or a box of chocolate, but I did get free breakfast during my stay - 2 months ago.

I liked the hotel location - close to Spanish Steps. The view from the bar was very nice...
Old Nov 22, 2007, 1:57 pm
Suspended

edited to add: i thought the bed was pretty uncomfortable.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 3:57 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
which hotel did you prefer. i am booked cash and points at the eden but the westin just came available also. thinking about changing-any thoughts?
Old Dec 3, 2007, 7:33 am
Suspended

with these older hotels, it really depends on the room. the westin excelsior is housed in several buildings. my first room was unbearably hot but i was moved to a second room which was much cooler.

at the eden, i stayed in two rooms. the first was great. the second room might have been the loudest room i have ever slept in. ever. at 1 AM, i moved to a much quieter and nicer room. sorry, i don't have room numbers. but, if you choose the eden, make sure you request a quiet room.

if i was going back to rome, i would probably choose the eden. if you choose the westin (and particularly if it is warm), make sure you request a cool room.

having said that, i like that smaller hotel feel. i also really like the hotel pulitzer in amsterdam while many people in this forum don't care for the property. both hotels are nice, it just depends on what you prefer.

edited to add: the name of the hotel GM is Marcel Levy, if that helps anyone.

Last edited by fly co to see the yanks; Dec 12, 2007 at 1:25 pm
Old Jan 20, 2008, 4:56 am

Brief preliminary thoughts about this property :

- Staying here for 5 nights, checked in last night.
- Booked Superior room. Upgraded to studio room on the first floor in the new ambassadors wing. told that if i wasnt happy about the low floor I could move to a corner deluxe room on the 5th floor. I didnt mind the low floor and so took what i got.
- Offered plat amenity of free wine, points or local gift - took points.
- Was offered some nightcaps and snacks on the house when the front desk learnt about my flight cancellations and delays out of LHR.
- Chocolates and welcome note in room
- Room was very big by European standards as already noted - lots of artwork, marble, huge bathroom.
- Staff are excellent - efficient, warm, friendly.
- Very nice and quiet location - on a side street unlike the Westin which is on Via Veneto itself with lots of traffic. Near lots of coffee houses, convenient to sights.
- Very aristocratic, old school feel at this hotel, and I was told by a mate that you had to be an old regular (a diplomat, royalty, or some other VVIP) to get a better upgrade, and that the upgrade I got was as good as it got for SPG PLT non VVIPs as the hotel had always been a staunchly independent property and hence only honours SPG benes half heartedly.

Will post a more comprehensive review with pics when I update my TR.
Old Jan 20, 2008, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I stayed at the Eden on points recently. Was upgraded to a 5th floor deluxe room that had two balconies with great views out over Rome. The hotel was maybe 3/4 full, but had the feel of being empty. We rarely saw others and never a queue at the front desk. Really a class place in a great neighborhood. I could look out from the balcony down on the awesome Villa Ludovisi. That is a heck of a house!
Old Jan 21, 2008, 5:24 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I stayed here on a cash and points stay. I'm sure we were upgraded, but my status changed from gold to plt, so I was not offered the regular amenities (I guess I can call to get my points?).

Anyhoo, large corner room with a little hall way to enter on the 4 or 5th floor with a nice view of villa ludovisi which I have been dying to see. I love the fact the windows opened so that we could get some fresh air.

The only thing I did not like other than the location which I hated (more of the crusty centro girl), was the fact there was no bedside clock.

I did get a nice message from the GM when I suggested clocks.

I would stay there again if the rate was right (cash and points) and I needed a stay. I would not stay there if I was staying more than a day, its too far from my normal haunts.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 3:53 am

I have updated my trip report with a review of the Hotel Eden, with pictures:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...2&postcount=39

Hope that helps!
Old Jan 26, 2008, 4:09 am
Suspended

Nice report ^

Regarding your comment that Hotel Eden is the least "Old Europe" compared to the other 2 properties nearby, the title should actually go to the Grand Deluxe rooms/suite (not the empire style) at the Westin Excelsior. Think Sheraton Imperial KL (pre-renovations), but with a much higher quality furnishings.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by mario33
Regarding your comment that Hotel Eden is the least "Old Europe" compared to the other 2 properties nearby, the title should actually go to the Grand Deluxe rooms/suite (not the empire style) at the Westin Excelsior. Think Sheraton Imperial KL (pre-renovations), but with a much higher quality furnishings.
I was actually going by what pics I could find on the website and tripadvisor. And I recall reading a comment on here that the Eden was the most subtle of the 3. Not the best guides I know but in lieu of first hand experience that'd have to do. I actually didn't mind the Eden decor after a few days there and actually found some bits of it quite alluring, and apart from that fresco behind my bed it was all quite subtle. I'd still return to the Eden in future as I was rather pleased with my stay. I read on here the Westin has better upgrades (and the Heavenly Beds are possibly a whole lot more comfy), but I walked past the hotel quite a number of times and the lobby was really ugly - the cafe was nice though and they had a good brekkies.

Last edited by Keith009; Jan 26, 2008 at 5:05 am
Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:21 pm
Community Director Emerita

Fabulous write up, QF009 - and personally helpful, as I am working on the LM promo, and considering the Hotel Eden for redemption nights. I love the pictures you took, including the amenities. I was happy to read of your positive experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.