Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

GONE : Hotel Eden - Rome, Italy [Master Thread] (Left Starwood Sep. 18, 2013)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GONE : Hotel Eden - Rome, Italy [Master Thread] (Left Starwood Sep. 18, 2013)

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2006, 9:30 pm

It's been a few years, but the Hotel Eden is a wonderful hotel.

I was a bit surprised, after staying out a bit too late one night, to find the hotel doors locked with a chain. Fortunately, they let me in!!!
Old May 2, 2006, 10:45 am
JBD

Thanks for the report free101girl.

Regarding the F&B pricing it sounds absolutely in line with the Excelsior, the St.Regis and to switch camps - to the Cavalieri. Sorry you experienced some "sticker shock" but those prices go with the territory of Roman hotels in that category.

I've never stayed at the Eden but know its location well and there must be rooms with amazing views - which you wouldn't get at the Excelsior or Grand. The Cavalieri of course has the penultimate view - but you sacrifice location. I've been hoping that the newly Starwoodized Eden would upgrade to view rooms.... So your trip report is well worth noting (and in regards to Elite recognition, dissappointing).

But all in all I hope you had a great trip and thanks again for posting.
Old May 2, 2006, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by JBD
Regarding the F&B pricing it sounds absolutely in line with the Excelsior, the St.Regis and to switch camps - to the Cavalieri. Sorry you experienced some "sticker shock" but those prices go with the territory of Roman hotels in that category.
Good to know. We always stay in 4 and 5 star hotels and travel a lot. I've never seen F&B prices this high -- even at Park Hyatt Tokyo, one of the best hotels in the world!

We actually came back to Rome for our last night and stayed at a non-SPG property. The room rate there was in the same category, but F&B was less than half the prices at the Eden.

I have friends who are going to Italy later this month, staying at the Eden, and I have tried to prepare them for the "sticker shock" they'll experience there -- and everywhere in Italy. We had a wonderful time but it took a few days to accept that everything was just going to cost through the nose.

Originally Posted by JBD
I've never stayed at the Eden but know its location well and there must be rooms with amazing views - which you wouldn't get at the Excelsior or Grand.
Our room had one small window with a pleasant view over a lower-level terrace on the side of the hotel (which was never used) -- nothing amazing and definitely not a panorama of Rome. I was a tad disappointed, but I do realize there are only so many view rooms... and I was paying a heavily discounted rate at "only" EUR470!
Old May 2, 2006, 5:17 pm
JBD

Originally Posted by free101girl
...We actually came back to Rome for our last night and stayed at a non-SPG property. The room rate there was in the same category, but F&B was less than half the prices at the Eden...
If you don't mind me asking, what was the other hotel?

I've stuck with either SPG or Hilton - but would love to hear about the Hotel de Russie and the Hassler. And even the Intercontinental. I know this is the SPG forum - but I'd be fascinated to hear how other Roman lux hotels rate alongside the SPG ones....
Old May 2, 2006, 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by JBD
If you don't mind me asking, what was the other hotel?
It's actually in Vatican City - Residenza Paolo VI. I just checked and we paid around EUR374 w/tax for a very ordinary room -- almost EUR100 less than the Eden, so it's actually not in the same price category.

It is marketed through some of the luxury hotel networks, so I expected at least a 4-star. It wasn't. I don't recommend it unless you really, really want to stay across the street from St. Peter's. Great location, but boring room decor and minimal services. Nice buffet breakfast included with all rates, cheap drinks both from bar service and minibar.

We walked through the Hassler one day. It seemed much nicer than Eden, IMO. Better public spaces, more services. Definitely a 5-star. We rather wished we had stayed there.
Old Aug 8, 2006, 7:32 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Just a note to add to this - I called the other day to book - was able to get a rate of 300 EUR as a Platinum (double occ), was given the choice to upgrade to a Deluxe room on the 5th floor (amazing panorama view) or a large studio on the 1st floor with no view. Obviously we took the view and it was breaktaking. Definately worthwhile. OJ and Oatmeal for breakfast for 25E was a lot.... but better than 50E for the "Healthy Breakfast"

Although online it did list suites available, they claimed they had none
Old Sep 16, 2006, 6:26 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HH Diamond,Hyatt Diamond
Hotel Eden Rome

Any recent advise on the Hotel Eden In rome? I have Studio room booked for an award and there is very little info on it. Here is the description
2 TWINS:JOIN AS K
STUDIO ROOM NON-SMOKING, RICHLY FURNISHED, HSIA AT A FEE, MARBLE BATHROOM, SITTING AREA, ELEGANT DECOR LIGHT COLOURS, SMALL ENTRANCE AREA, SOME CONNE CT WITH SUITES AVR SIZE 45 SQM/485 SQFT
Also is this hotel as good a choice as the other two SPG hotels in Rome?
Old Sep 16, 2006, 9:16 pm

Depends on if you are paying or using points. I believe with points the WESTIN is better however if paying and the prices are sometimes similar this is also a very good hotel.
Old Jan 31, 2007, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Folks,
Any recent stays at the Eden? I have some nights booked for April there and another hotel. I'd love to try out the Eden if it is being run well in terms of service, treatment of plats and so on. The STR is great, but running the gauntlet of gypsies takes a lot out of me, as does explaining the SPG program guidelines at checkin. The Westin is great as well. I'm having a tough time deciding.

Any recent experiences at the Eden would be of interest to me if you could share.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 9:24 am
JBD

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
So it sounds like St Regis or Westin (depending on what you want to pay) are the way to go instead of Eden.. Wonder why Eden is higher cat than Westin. Unless Westin is becoming 6 next year.. :|
Kagehitokiri was prescient, unfortunately!

So now that the edge the Excelsior had over the other two properties is gone (less points required) it sure will be interesting to see how you'll all compare the three SPG Rome options.

Adding to dingo's query.. yes, do please post recent experiences at the Eden if you can.
Old Feb 1, 2007, 10:16 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
There are some very unsavory reviews over at tripadvisor.com. Even the positive reviews that I read reference:
-Small rooms
-Small bathrooms with no separate shower / tub
-$30+ for internet (one reviewer over there called this reasonable..ha ha)
-Expensive dining (personally, why eat in a flipping hotel in Rome...get out and see the city!)
Old Feb 2, 2007, 11:14 am

Programs: A few
Also to add to the requests...if anybody has a stay experience with the Studio room, my soon-to-be wife and me have one booked for our honeymoon in May. Like to know if it's truly worth the $650 a night (that's with using my SPG50 too).

Cheers,

Adrian
Old Feb 2, 2007, 12:15 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by dingo
-$30+ for internet (one reviewer over there called this reasonable..ha ha)
We are used to having to pay between EUR 17 and EUR 25 for one day of Internet access in most European hotels. Some Internet access workstations in UK hotels even charge you something like GBP 3 for 15mn ....
Old Feb 4, 2007, 5:15 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Honors Gold, Flying Blue Platinum
Un-Edenic

Originally Posted by flyfarfar
I've been looking at the Westin Excelisor and just recently found the Hotel Eden on SPG.com.

I've did a search on flyertalk and didn't find a thing.

Has anyone stayed here recently? Any successes with Plat upgrades, is the condition of the hotel worth 20k a night?

flyfarfar
Hello, I stayed there in December on the cheapest rate - still around 300 € without breakfast. I found the hotel rather depressing, expecially the common parts and corridors - ok, you do not spend your time in those, but still. Everything is or look beige, see what I mean ?
There was an educational/self-agrandizing programme on TV showing the manager of the hotel shopping for antiques to adorn the best room, well when you see the result you doubt his sanity. Anyway.
The upgraded room I got was nice but tiny (could help but thinking the bathroom was bigger than the bedroom). Everything was obviously spotless save for the smell of a nearby restaurant. Grilled meat. Yuck.
Service can be super-fourished and fussy, especially at front desk. The guy who showed me the room obviously thought I could not manage a remote control on my own and demonstrated its various functions.
Restaurant, breakfast and room service unaffordable on a budget. The panorame is great but the top floor venue rather hideously decorated.
To sum up, a rather pricey option with nothing special - for Italy, which is always very tricky hotel-wise.
Hope this helps
E
Old Mar 31, 2007, 6:28 am

Contact E-mail for Hotel Eden in Roma

I checked the relevant links on the 'contact' sticky and didn't find anything for this hotel. Does anyone have an email address for the Hotel Eden in Rome? The spg.com website doesn't include a link that I could find.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.