Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood Discount Codes (SET #)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2007, 4:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
On the flip side, my SET may allow a certain number of rooms at the negotiated rate. If you're using my SET and aren't entitled, my corp rate is effectively unavailable to me.....
Unlikely - a hotel chain is interested in selling as many rooms as possible. I certainly cannot imagine that big corporates like IBM or HP have capacity controlled SET rates. They may need 10 rooms a night or 5000 rooms a night around that globe. I can only imagine capacity controlled rates for a single hotel where they only give you X nights for a discount, but certainly not chainwide.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 7:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Why not?

The more stays are booked under the SET the bigger is the negotiation power.
that is EXACTLY what i thought when i read idsant's post. the point of the code is to track volume. more volume = bigger discounts, not less.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Flying Lawyer
Unlikely - a hotel chain is interested in selling as many rooms as possible. I certainly cannot imagine that big corporates like IBM or HP have capacity controlled SET rates. They may need 10 rooms a night or 5000 rooms a night around that globe. I can only imagine capacity controlled rates for a single hotel where they only give you X nights for a discount, but certainly not chainwide.
My reference was to exactly that - a single property where we have particularly well negotiated rates (e.g. the rate plan states the company name rather than Chainwide Discount). Capacity controlled rates are fairly common, as our discount can be fairly substantial. So if someone who isn't entitled to our SET is using it, someone who is legitimately entitled to use it cannot.

Some properties do release additional rooms into the plan on request (e.g. if we're doing a roadshow or other event, it's fairly common for our corp TA to liaise with the hotel directly for this).
Old Dec 2, 2007, 12:55 pm

Programs: No More Loyalty
Originally Posted by fly co to see the yanks
that is EXACTLY what i thought when i read idsant's post. the point of the code is to track volume. more volume = bigger discounts, not less.
Which I suppose works fine until/unless SPG determines some of the usage to be fraudulent and revokes the SET. (I'm sure someone can tell us for sure, but I would assume not sharing the SET with unauthorized users is part of the T&Cs.)
Old Dec 2, 2007, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sirecca
Which I suppose works fine until/unless SPG determines some of the usage to be fraudulent and revokes the SET.
i think the onus is on starwood and the individual property to police the SET codes (by checking IDs). how would the onus be on the company?
Old Dec 2, 2007, 3:37 pm

Programs: QF,VS,SQ,SPG,IC
The policy regarding who uses their SET codes is up to the company concerned.
For someone to post a SET code on a public forum where anyone can see and use it, to me, is just plain wrong...my opinion.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 4:40 pm

i think the onus is on starwood and the individual property to police the SET codes (by checking IDs). how would the onus be on the company?
As is the case with most programs like this, I imagine Starwood views it as a shared responsibility.

Let's say, for example, that a company is in danger of not meeting their nights requirements. So they post their code here and encourage everyone to use it. Seems to me the "onus" would be on the company.

Not sure if this wholly applies, but a quick Google search turned up this:
http://www.starwoodpreferredbusiness.com/terms.html
Old Dec 2, 2007, 4:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by snufl
For someone to post a SET code on a public forum where anyone can see and use it, to me, is just plain wrong...my opinion.
fair enough. but, what about all of the other forums in which corporate discount codes are published?
Old Dec 2, 2007, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by snufl
Where did you read this?
Old Dec 2, 2007, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sirecca
Where did you read this?
i agree. it is not necessarily up the company. i believe it is probably a negotiation between the company and starwood. some companies allow consultants, etc. to use a corporate discount code but others don't. this is probably a result of negotiations between the company and starwood.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 4:52 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
fair enough. but, what about all of the other forums in which corporate discount codes are published?
How does that affect this board (SPG)? A select few moderators may have decided to allow complete disclosure of negotiated rate contract IDs on other boards, but how and why should that affect us?

I think at the core of this issue, most of us (not all) see some real ethical concerns at play with going down this road. These codes are established as a bilateral agreement between two parties to enhance the position of both parties. To ride the coattails of someone else's deal seems a violation to me. (I understand the temptation, however!)

I strongly support the continued position here of not posting SET codes.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ldsant

Should folks have a compelling reason to have the SET codes published here, by all means, please PM us and we'll discuss this again (nothing is ever "permanently" closed unless it's a direct violation of the TOS).

ldsant
*wood co-Moderator

sometime in 2004, this issue was raised and i believe that the response then was that it was a decision taken independant of spg/starwood influence. I'm sure many posters including myself are a bit apprehensive about what to think of

1) set codes being removed/banned from even being mentioned.
2) a certain pm being circulated
3) mistake/low rates being pulled/not honoured, quickly sometimes minutes after being posted on flyertalk.
4) spg t& c and hotels responding sometimes unfavourably to posts featured on flyertalk.

It may be paranoid of me but i see a link here.i am not comfortable making any post on spg or its properties as a result. I hope i'm not alone and that the powers to be here will address this.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 8:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by icarius
2) a certain pm being circulated
hmmm...i'd love to know more about this tid bit.
Old Dec 2, 2007, 9:41 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by icarius
It may be paranoid of me but i see a link here. . . I hope i'm not alone and that the powers to be here will address this.
I'm a moderator of this forum and I have no idea what you're referring to.

If you have concerns that make you 'apprehensive' and 'not comfortable making any post on SPG,' I will speak for both ldsant, the other SPG Moderator, and myself, and encourage you to take the specifics directly, and privately, to Randy Petersen, who runs FlyerTalk. You can reach him via the Private Message tool.

Last edited by AZ Travels the World; Dec 2, 2007 at 9:54 pm
Old Dec 2, 2007, 10:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

This is how my employer has it set up with starwood as well - certain properties in certain cities have company-specific rates (not the systemwide 3 pct discount or whatever).. and there have been times where my coworker snagged the last room under the negotiated rate and I ended up paying (best available - 3 pct).

basically there is no positive aspect to intentionally sharing SET codes online in a forum setting.

Originally Posted by Shuttle-Bored
My reference was to exactly that - a single property where we have particularly well negotiated rates (e.g. the rate plan states the company name rather than Chainwide Discount). Capacity controlled rates are fairly common, as our discount can be fairly substantial. So if someone who isn't entitled to our SET is using it, someone who is legitimately entitled to use it cannot.

Some properties do release additional rooms into the plan on request (e.g. if we're doing a roadshow or other event, it's fairly common for our corp TA to liaise with the hotel directly for this).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.