Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood Discount Codes (SET #)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2007, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
If you do a search and look carefully, you will find SET codes hidden in a lot of threads on this website and around the web... not too difficult to find... some dating back to 4 or 5 years ago, which still work today.. so I really don't think these companies mind.. If they did, they would have changed their SET codes already....

Also, for some larger firms, they negotiate seperate rates for their own staff, and for clients/customers... so if the SET code corresponds to the clients/customer one, I really don't see any problem sharing it...
Old Dec 3, 2007, 2:50 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
A GM on the Marriott board explained in great detail to me how the overuse of a corporate discount code can actually weaken the company's negotiating position. His point was that as occupancy rises, GM do not wish to honor special rates because the remaining rooms command better prices then the negotiated rate. I can find the discussion if anyone wants it.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 4:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
I'm a moderator of this forum and I have no idea what you're referring to.

If you have concerns that make you 'apprehensive' and 'not comfortable making any post on SPG,' I will speak for both ldsant, the other SPG Moderator, and myself, and encourage you to take the specifics directly, and privately, to Randy Petersen, who runs FlyerTalk. You can reach him via the Private Message tool.
my issue is essentially the independence of flyertalk and in this case the spg forum away from external influence. I think that this would be suited for open discussion here on the spg forum. As the rules specifically says each contributor is prohibited from making comments on moderation, i would have to ask if the moderator would be willing to allow this to be aired?

P.S: I would appreciate if i can be notified before this post is deleted.

Last edited by icarius; Dec 3, 2007 at 4:15 am
Old Dec 3, 2007, 5:30 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by clarkef
A GM on the Marriott board explained in great detail to me how the overuse of a corporate discount code can actually weaken the company's negotiating position. His point was that as occupancy rises, GM do not wish to honor special rates because the remaining rooms command better prices then the negotiated rate. I can find the discussion if anyone wants it.
This is the reason there are rates on "Last room availability" basis and non LRA basis... non-LRA rates mean that the hotel close out on corporate rates when occupancy reaches a certain level, whereas LRA rates do not have this restriction. As you can imagine LRA rates are usually higher so that the hotel can protect its average daily rate...
Old Dec 3, 2007, 7:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by icarius
P.S: I would appreciate if i can be notified before this post is deleted.

(or at all.)
Old Dec 3, 2007, 7:50 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by icarius
my issue is essentially the independence of flyertalk and in this case the spg forum away from external influence. I think that this would be suited for open discussion here on the spg forum. As the rules specifically says each contributor is prohibited from making comments on moderation, i would have to ask if the moderator would be willing to allow this to be aired?

As you've pointed out, the rules specifically prohibit what you are suggesting. If you wish to have your specific addressed, please share them in a private message to the moderators of the forum, or directly with Randy.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 9:09 pm

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Programs: IC Royal Ambassador
A query

I was hoping someone would be able to help me with this. I've read this entire thread am not sure it answers any of my queries.

I am a guest speaker of a French research company at a scientific meeting in 2 months time. I have been asked to arrange my own hotel room at the Starwood property they are using, however, the company has given me a discount code which "should be placed in the SET/Corporate no. box." They will be reimbusing me upto the amount of a room using this discount code for four nights.

My questions are thus:
1. I'm not an employee of the company, however, they have specifically told me to use this code. So, can I use this code? I do have a letter from them (which I can travel with), but no company ID as I am not their employee.

2. If I use this number, will my stay still count towards my Platinum renewal (if not, I will not use the code and forego the benefit being provided to me by the company).

3. If I use this code, will I forfeit my usual Platinum benefits? For instance, the hotel the scientific meeting is at is a property where I always get upgraded to a suite. Will I lose this benefit by using this discount code? Afterall, the room is a lot cheaper using this rate.

4. Someone in this thread mentions being sent a Corporate SPG preferred guest card after using his company's set code........so, if I use this company's discount code, will my Platinum status go, and will I be provided with a corporate preferred guest card instead?

Thanks in advance!

PS Please don't ask me for the discount code. It'll make me feel akward to say no......and I will say no.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 9:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Shantanu
I was hoping someone would be able to help me with this. I've read this entire thread am not sure it answers any of my queries.

I am a guest speaker of a French research company at a scientific meeting in 2 months time. I have been asked to arrange my own hotel room at the Starwood property they are using, however, the company has given me a discount code which "should be placed in the SET/Corporate no. box." They will be reimbusing me upto the amount of a room using this discount code for four nights.

My questions are thus:
1. I'm not an employee of the company, however, they have specifically told me to use this code. So, can I use this code? I do have a letter from them (which I can travel with), but no company ID as I am not their employee.

2. If I use this number, will my stay still count towards my Platinum renewal (if not, I will not use the code and forego the benefit being provided to me by the company).

3. If I use this code, will I forfeit my usual Platinum benefits? For instance, the hotel the scientific meeting is at is a property where I always get upgraded to a suite. Will I lose this benefit by using this discount code? Afterall, the room is a lot cheaper using this rate.

4. Someone in this thread mentions being sent a Corporate SPG preferred guest card after using his company's set code........so, if I use this company's discount code, will my Platinum status go, and will I be provided with a corporate preferred guest card instead?

Thanks in advance!

PS Please don't ask me for the discount code. It'll make me feel akward to say no......and I will say no.
  1. Yes.
  2. Yes.
  3. No.
  4. No.

Old Jan 9, 2009, 9:21 pm

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Programs: IC Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
  1. Yes.
  2. Yes.
  3. No.
  4. No.

Thank you so much.....That really puts my mind at rest. I much apprecate it!
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG and Hilton Diamond, LH SEN, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
  1. Yes.
  2. Yes.
  3. No.
  4. No.

(3.) is a YES/NO: It depends on the arrangements the organizer have made. We use the same system for our internal (partners') meetings and we have "no frills rates" for such and it says "no SPG benefits, no points". The latter is not a surprise because in our case the costs go to a masterbill (different from Shantanu's case) and the first one was never enforced in my case, however the language is different.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
For 1) in the past my former employer would tell clients or contractors to use our SET code and that this was as per the negotiated policy. So YES for sure.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 11:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Globalist
As a Platinum for the past 5 years, and almost always on a corporate SET code, I have never been asked for company identification. I have had to show my AAA card on ~25% of my AAA-enhanced stays.
Old Aug 30, 2009, 7:06 pm

Programs: SPG, Aeroplan, SkyMiles,Avis
Can I add my two-bit

I work for one of Canada top 25 company and,
SET rates are not as good as one might think: compared to BAR or Non-Cancellable rates, they are not such a good deal. Except for hotels that my employer really use and has a lot volume, the difference is actually none to a more (how about 2x) expensive rate. And we are a Global Preferred Corporation...
So keep your eyes open and keep looking at FT forums, you will save even more!
Old Sep 6, 2009, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Question codes for sheraton in BA

I am planning to stay at the Sheraton in BA, but would like to know if anyone on this board can help with a special code that will make my stay worthwile. Please PM.
Thanks.
Old Mar 9, 2010, 1:04 am

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat, SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond, DL Gold, Avis PC
Would like to stay at any of the following Starwood properties in Rome:

St Regis
Hotel Eden
Westin Excelsior

The best rate I could get for any of these was 250 Euros a night from May 1-5. If anyone can help me get a better rate, please PM me. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.