Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starwood Discount Codes (SET #)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2006, 9:15 am

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by high_flyer
When I see "chainwide discount" as the Set Owner, it makes me believe that it would be very difficult for Starwood to require an ID.
"Chainwide discount" seems to be the universal descriptor for an SET discount (and probably other discount programs as well). When I use my SET code, the "Chainwide discount" shows up as the rate descriptor about 75% of the time, the rest of the time my company name DOES show up in the rate. But, like others here, I've never been asked for corporate ID at checkin.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Years ago, when I first got my Starwood membership, we used AMEX corporate travel services, and I got Gold status through my AMEX Platinum card. But I rarely stayed at Starwoods. Later, I started using the SPG website and got comped Starwood Platinum, and there was a SET code there. I thought it some sort of discount for the AMEX Platinum.

Nope, as I found out about six months later when I finally checked a property where the SET code did any good, it was the code for Lockheed/Martin.... a subsidiary of which is one of our competitors.

Our company has a SET code. It doesn't do much, just waives the capacity controls for the lowest baseline price ("traditional room") at exactly one property. So usually it doesn't save anything, but if the hotel is full it might save 15%.

Last edited by ElmhurstNick; Dec 23, 2006 at 8:39 pm Reason: wrong word...
Old Dec 23, 2006, 10:07 am

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
I think its great that people don't post their SET numbers in this forum.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 10:49 am

Programs: Too much flying; Lots of hotels
My largest client has a SET code that I am entitled to use (actually, they demand and expect it) on travel for them.

But the strangest thing is, that when I use it on the web site, everything works fine, but then on the reservation the last two digits always get transposed. Big problem since that results in the hotel seeing me as traveling for the Consulate of Trinidad and Tobago . First time it happened in KL (they took one look at me and asked for ID) it took nearly two hours on the phone with customer service for the whole thing to get straightened out.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 11:51 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tfong007
I think its great that people don't post their SET numbers in this forum.
And I don't agree with you.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott
Originally Posted by SportsTech
"Chainwide discount" seems to be the universal descriptor for an SET discount (and probably other discount programs as well). When I use my SET code, the "Chainwide discount" shows up as the rate descriptor about 75% of the time, the rest of the time my company name DOES show up in the rate. But, like others here, I've never been asked for corporate ID at checkin.
Your SET code/Company doesn't have a specific deal worked out with that hotel if Chainwide Discount appears. My previous employer did that on a city by city basis, which sounds similar to yours. And yes, no id has been ever requested.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP/4MM, UA GS, AS MVP GOLD 75K
Originally Posted by high_flyer
When I see "chainwide discount" as the Set Owner, it makes me believe that it would be very difficult for Starwood to require an ID.
Everytime I use a SET code, it always populates the company's name as part of the folio address when checking out.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 1:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by olimaspecto
Everytime I use a SET code, it always populates the company's name as part of the folio address when checking out.
As well as after I added it to my account, after a few weeks I found Corporate Preferred card in mail !

Seriously I dont know if there are any SET # that really give you an advantage My one was from Siemens and the rate was always 20% than the lowest comparable one without SET.

I enjoy the perks of PLT and dont care about SET... I gave up
Old Dec 23, 2006, 2:12 pm

My set code got me the 4 pts sydney(harbour view)_ for $A250 on NYE and $A270 next NYE

so it works for me!!^
Old Dec 23, 2006, 2:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
My comment on Hotel corp/disc codes

I will say that there is a list for each chain, the % completeness and accuracy is definitely < 100%. Some chains like Marriott are more complete than others because the posters on that board are more open with their codes than they are on other chains. i.e, spg.

SPG does have a list going around, its just not published, ditto for Hyatt and Hilton.

Before I go any further, Don't ask, the answer is no unless its a MR question. I'd have to know you real well before even helping out on any board but MR. However, to answer the question, one exists but it can't be published. I'd also add that I find there are some two faced posters on this thread. However I believe its against t&c's of FT to name names.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by trekkie
With regards to the op's question, i dun think its unreasonable for us to post promotional codes like what has been happening at the marriot forum. and we do post offers, just that its not a consolidated list and its quite possible to do that.
Promotional codes are posted all the time, and no one has an issue with it. These are promotions that Starwood offers to the public or a list of people that they target and can track.

An SET code is a legal agreement to provide a discount to employees of an orgnaization, members of an organization, or some other negotiated group. Starwood does not track every member in that group so it depends on the legal agreement's T&C's that only members of the defined group can use the code.

Starwood invites you to use public codes. Starwood's SET agreements forbid you from using codes you are not entitled to. They are very different.

I've been staying in NYC all fall for $225-275 so yes, my SET code gives me quite a benefit.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 4:13 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Gold, Choice Priveleges Gold, Club Carlson Silver, Wyndham Rewards, UMP, DL, ANA
I have a question about these SET codes. Why is it that when searching the SPG site for bookings with a SET code, more rooms or room types are offered/available than if I do the same search without a SET code?

I've been looking at various resorts for a family vacation through the spg site. Out of curiousity, I looked up one of the resorts we are thinking about booking for our vacation, with the SET code that was mentioned previously in this thread. Much to my suprise, many additional rooms and various suites are available for booking on our dates that don't show up in a search without a SET code. Why is that? As a SPG Gold member, I guess I atleast expected I'd have the same accessibility to various rooms (on a paid rate) as any other person. But when doing a search with a SET code and then the same search without a SET code would indicate otherwise. Why would SPG offer these various suites and what not at discounted SET code rates but not to the average SPG Gold member without access to a SET agreement at higher rates? I'm a bit baffled here.
Old Dec 24, 2006, 7:28 am

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Rambuster
Yesterday code "xxxx" was still "chainwide discount" now it shows up as "Pfizer".
As noted by Wireless above (and confirmed by my corporate travel office), the "Chainwide Discount" will show up if a specific property offers a company or general corporate discount to users of that SET but does NOT have a company-specific agreement with the entity that has the SET agreement. I usually get an OK price via the "Chainwide Discount", and a very very good rate when a specific deal has been made with my company.

Last edited by yosithezet; Mar 14, 2013 at 10:08 am
Old Dec 28, 2006, 12:29 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
folks - as a friendly reminder - posting your actual SET codes from your company may not be the best idea ever

Remember, these boards are actually read by *wood folks
Old Dec 28, 2006, 12:36 pm

One thing to keep in mind is that booking a SET rate will often allow a 6pm day of arrival cancellation vs non-SET internet-only rates that requires full pre-payment/no cancellation. My SET is often </= the internet-only rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.