Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

St. Regis London (Lanesborough) for 35GBP a night!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis London (Lanesborough) for 35GBP a night!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2005, 7:41 am

Absolutely correct !!! ^
Old Apr 13, 2005, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Here is what the BBC has to say about internet pricing errors:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/2872429.stm

The relevant paragraph is probably this, since UK law is based on case law (ie previous decisions on similar issues are used as the basis for future claims): "case law makes it clear that if a buyer understands that a price is a mistake and tries to take advantage of it then they have no right to insist on the offered price being upheld."
Old Apr 13, 2005, 7:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GUWonder
If the Lanesborough's bottom line is impacted more than by 1% by honoring the reservations, then I would be surprised.
Ah, but I'm not so sure the bottom line alone would account entirely for St. Regis' reneging on the contract, if you know what I mean.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by RJB

The relevant paragraph is probably this, since UK law is based on case law (ie previous decisions on similar issues are used as the basis for future claims): "case law makes it clear that if a buyer understands that a price is a mistake and tries to take advantage of it then they have no right to insist on the offered price being upheld."
(And I've made this point before, but...)

How could Starwood possibly prove that the consumer knew that a rate was an error?

I flew for free on 9/11/02 on Spirit. JetsGo offered "free" flights. I've stumbled upon low fares on Travelocity. Is it legally my burden to confirm a confirmation? That doesn't make sense.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 8:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by RJB

SUMMER RATE during an otherwise slow period for a largely expense-account hotel during the off-season summer period in a non-beach/non-summer-resort city is sufficient explanation in at least two jurisdictions that this is not necessarily and clearly a mistake. A summer rate promotion and even winter rate promotions that are printed and honored have included such significant discounts before at similar properties across Europe. Conrad Brussels is just one such place.

$63 (pre-tax) for a hotel night is no joke either.

Last edited by GUWonder; Apr 13, 2005 at 8:12 am
Old Apr 13, 2005, 8:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by anonplz
Ah, but I'm not so sure the bottom line alone would account entirely for St. Regis' reneging on the contract, if you know what I mean.

.... and in another twist, I'm sure that the holier-than-thou crowd is not generally wholly holy, especially if they back-pedal after committing.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 8:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by anonplz
(And I've made this point before, but...)

How could Starwood possibly prove that the consumer knew that a rate was an error?

I flew for free on 9/11/02 on Spirit. JetsGo offered "free" flights. I've stumbled upon low fares on Travelocity. Is it legally my burden to confirm a confirmation? That doesn't make sense.
... especially when another hotel along Hyde Park (LeMeridien) has gone for a comparable price too (on Priceline) within the past 3 years.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
... especially when another hotel along Hyde Park (LeMeridien) has gone for a comparable price too (on Priceline) within the past 3 years.
Let me be the first to commmiserate William on the storm that may soon be coming his way!

But I really do hope this comes off. It is an astounding hotel, outside traffic aside.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 8:34 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
I am in on July 4th also 3 nights with the wife for her 30th Birthday!

She is over the moon with the idea (and doesn't know how much it cost )
Old Apr 13, 2005, 8:39 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
I shouldn't have gone to sleep last night... anyone still finding availability? I can't find the 'Summer Rates' on SPG.com but it's still on Orbitz. I was able to find one date (Aug 4-7) where the rate came up but after pressing on it Orbitz said it was unavailable.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 8:39 am

Exactly.

As far as I'm concerned, a confirmation is an e-mail or letter from the travel agent saying, "it's all checked out, you're good to go, start making any other arrangements you have to - have a good trip." End of story.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 8:52 am

Programs: some blue some silver some gold
"As far as I'm concerned, a confirmation is an e-mail or letter from the travel agent saying, "it's all checked out, you're good to go, start making any other arrangements you have to - have a good trip." End of story."

exactly, they sent a confirmation email after the booking...if they didn't check it out first then they shouldn't have sent the confirmation out. and if they decide to send confirmations out automatically, then on their own head be it

i'm booked at the washington st regis in september at a $189 rate (still available). the rack rate is $550. am i supposed to think that this is a mistake?! and then does that give them the right to cancel it at the last minute if they think it they can argue it should have been $1890?!?! i don't think so.

just my tuppence worth

Last edited by dhoward; Apr 13, 2005 at 8:56 am
Old Apr 13, 2005, 9:15 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
"... We are pleased to confirm your reservation with us."
Old Apr 13, 2005, 9:19 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG Gold
Does anyone see an issue if only one person is in the room, instead of two?
Old Apr 13, 2005, 9:22 am

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred
Apparently it should have been 355, not 35, as that is what is now showing up...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.