Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ameritrade Starwood offer [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2004, 11:13 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Platinum
Does anyone know if you can transfer mutual funds into the Ameritrade Account without having to cash out? For example, I have IRA funds with Fidelity mutual funds - can I transfer those mutual funds to Ameritrade as custodian in order to be eligible for this promotion?
Old Aug 6, 2004, 9:35 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Titanium
SPG & Ameritrade question

Hi,

Sorry if this has been asked before....

Can I make a $25,000 deposit into Ameritrade to receive the Starwood 20,000 point bonus. Let it sit for 6 months without making a single trade, and then withdraw my $25K & 20K points and leave?

Thanks
Old Aug 7, 2004, 3:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by bigjim
Does anyone know if you can transfer mutual funds into the Ameritrade Account without having to cash out? For example, I have IRA funds with Fidelity mutual funds - can I transfer those mutual funds to Ameritrade as custodian in order to be eligible for this promotion?
Currently, in the fine print on www.ameritrade.com/spg, it states "Offer not valid for IRAs, trust or entity accounts...."

However, in another thread on the Ameritrade deal, it appears you CAN transfer securities from another brokerage or mutual fund company. So it's doable with non-IRA, non-trust accounts. There might be fees associated with this.
Old Aug 7, 2004, 10:00 pm

Programs: SPG (AmEx), A+ (AirTran)
The T&C are pretty clear that you get the first half within 4 to 6 weeks of your initial deposit, and then the second half six months after that. I don't recall seeing *anyone's* experience with getting all of the points up front.

--Chris
Old Aug 13, 2004, 11:06 am

Programs: AA Gold, UA Premier, *Wood, Marriott Silver Elite
Originally Posted by sucker777
You're making friends quickly I see. On a hopefully more helpful note, you need not even keep your money in the Starwood account for that long. Take it out after a month or so, and you'll still get your points.
You mean, even if the account balance is $100, you will get the remaining points at the end of 6 months.

Any success with this, anyone???
Old Aug 13, 2004, 12:24 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM
Originally Posted by asiaFT
You mean, even if the account balance is $100, you will get the remaining points at the end of 6 months.

Any success with this, anyone???
No, you are going to need around a $25,000 balance at the end of the six months in order to receive the 2nd installment of the 10,000 Starpoints.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 2:06 pm

Thumbs up

Deal couldn't be easier. 2nd 10k posted six months and a week after the initial 10k (I left the money there untouched FWIW).

- RightD
Old Aug 13, 2004, 4:46 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Titanium
I just signed up and sent $25K to Ameritrade, and hope to get the first 10K points soon.
Can I sign up again for a joint account w/ my wife right now, and use the same *wood account for another 20K points?
Has anyone done this sccessfully back-to-back?

Thanks
Old Aug 13, 2004, 5:31 pm

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
During the past 6 months, I have opened two seperate accounts and received the points. Great deal. ^
Old Aug 14, 2004, 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by Mighty_Bluff
Has anyone done this sccessfully back-to-back?

Thanks
I actually admitted being greedy and asked the extremely helpful Ameritrade rep if I could do this. She said sure, as long as the account types were all different (and were account types that were eligible for the promotion).

I'm opening up a joint tenancy with rights of survivorship (JTWROS) account with my fiancee for 10k points, and then getting myself an individual account for an extra 3k points. I don't really need the accounts; I just want the points. :-)

--Chris
Old Aug 17, 2004, 7:46 pm

I just noticed today that my first 5,000 Starpoints (for a new $10,000 Ameritrade account) posted to my account; this was surprising to me for two reasons:

First, it's only been two weeks since the $5,000 check (for half of the initial deposit) cleared the bank, marking the opening of my account.

Second, the other half of the initial deposit was a transfer from BuyAndHold, and due to a number of reasons (see below), the transfer ended up only being about $4,600. I was going to send them a check to make up the difference anyway, but apparently they're okay with the $9,600 that they've got. :-)

Why did the transfer end up being less than the value of the BuyAndHold account? (This is good info to know if you're doing a transfer.) (1) Ameritrade only accepts whole shares; the remaining fractions of shares in the BuyAndHold account were liquidated and the value was added to my cash position. And (2), either BuyAndHold did not transfer, or Ameritrade did not accept, the cash in my account. BuyAndHold sent me a check, which would have been enough to put me over $10,000 total.

--Chris
Old Oct 14, 2004, 6:52 am

Funds available on Ameritrade

I am considering opening an Ameritrade account to get 20k spg points (one for me and one for my wife). I was wondering if some could post some of the funds that Ameritrade offers, specifically low duration Fixed Income and low cost Index funds. I contacted them and they said the list can only be accessed through their secured site (clients-only) and the brochure they send would only list the fund families. TIA.
Old Oct 14, 2004, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Nihilator
Pretty sure, yes, you need a SSN, at least to have an account with their American site. If they have sites for other countries / exchanges, well, maybe you're in luck, but then maybe they don't have the SPG offer.

--Chris
From personal experience (not me, but someone I helped with that), I can tell that no, you do not have to have an SSN to open an Ameritrade account in the US. Anyone (well, Europeans anyway) can, submitting the proper forms. Does this count for SPG bonuses? I wouldn't know.

Last edited by michaelr; Oct 14, 2004 at 9:43 pm
Old Oct 22, 2004, 4:47 pm

Got my first half of the points too. Within a week. They are great. Thanks!

Originally Posted by nowhereman
Thanks everyone. I just got my first half of the points yesterday. Not bad. It took only about 2 weeks after I opened the account.
Old Oct 24, 2004, 2:19 pm

After opening the account, I only need to keep $2000 in order to avoid the fees. Is that right? Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.