Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ameritrade Starwood offer [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2004, 1:49 pm
SJC

Programs: UA 1K2MM
Did the same thing. Transfer from Etrade to Ameritrade for the SPG points. Points posted as promised (half at opening of account, rest six months later). At the end of 6 month, I closed my account and transferred the money back to Etrade because I found that Etrade has better trading and analysis tools. Ameritrade interface just a bit behind Etrade, IMHO. The profolio manager was not very user friendly and required quite a bit of data entry of your own, while Etrade automatically populate the profolio manager page with all the relevent data.

My suggestion, transfer the minimum amount of money to get the points you want, try it out first. Once you get the 2nd half of the points, you can decide whether or not to keep the account or transfer the money back to Etrade.
Old Jun 12, 2004, 8:09 pm

The main difference (from a mileage-earning standpoint) between Ameritrade and E*Trade is that Ameritrade will actually give you the miles/points, and within the time frame promised! With E*Trade it's a crap-shoot (and calling their customer service only brings promises, not results).
Old Jun 13, 2004, 11:43 am

My experience

was excellent with Ameritrade. Points posted within a couple weeks of account opening. Haven't had the account quite long enough to get the remaining 5k. Have spoken with CS at Ameritrade and they're quite helpfull. I don't trade frequently, but my buying experience was easy and straightforward. I don't have any experience with Etrade, so I can't truly compare the two, but overall I've been quite satisfied with Ameritrade.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 3MM, DL Plat, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
My points posted promptly. I recommend the Ameritrade/Starwood deal.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA PLAT, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM
I believe it was 3 weeks after my first 10,000 Starwood bonus points hit my account after opening the Ameritrade account. I would highly recommend.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 9:39 am

Ameritrade Account Closing Fees??

Has anyone encounterd any fees for closing your account after all your *wood points have posted?

Also, are there any penalties for closing the account before the second 1/2 of points is transferred (other than the obvious one of not receiving the second 1/2 of points)?
Old Jun 14, 2004, 9:51 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
OTOH, I've been having great diffic getting the 20k SPG points posted -- SPG says I should call ATrade, and v v. Opened a year ago, and finally the first 10k have posted (11 months after the fact) -- still waiting on the remainder.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 10:54 am

Programs: AA PLAT, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM
There are no fees for closing the account before and/or after you have received all the Starwood bonus points.

Originally Posted by gatorgods
Has anyone encounterd any fees for closing your account after all your *wood points have posted?

Also, are there any penalties for closing the account before the second 1/2 of points is transferred (other than the obvious one of not receiving the second 1/2 of points)?
Old Jun 14, 2004, 11:24 am
ned

Programs: MTD pass holder
Smile

My experience was excellent. Points posted as represented. Service was good while account was open and there was no fee when the account was closed.
Old Jun 15, 2004, 7:41 pm

I opened an Ameritrade account and got my 20,000 points after about 10 months. I then closed the account (with no fee). I would like to do it again. Has anyone been successful twice with this offer?
Old Jul 14, 2004, 6:18 pm

Arrow Pretty good for me

Got my first 5k points first week of Jan. Still waiting for the second 5k. T&C say:

Account must remain open with minimum funding for 6 months from date that first half of points are posted to your account at Starwood. After that time, allow 4-6 weeks for the second half of the points to appear in your Starwood Preferred Guest account.

So, I'd rather not wait 4 more weeks, but it's in the T&C.
Old Jul 14, 2004, 6:49 pm

Programs: United MM
Thanks everyone. I just got my first half of the points yesterday. Not bad. It took only about 2 weeks after I opened the account.
Old Jul 15, 2004, 9:12 pm

Programs: United, Starwood
I already had an Ameritrade account that I didn't get SPG points for. I want to cancel my current account, and then open a new one through the SPG link. Anyone know if they will give me trouble for this? Is it only if you've never had an account with them before? Also, how long do you think I should wait before reapplying? Thanks.
Old Jul 15, 2004, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by askias
[...] I want to cancel my current account, and then open a new one through the SPG link. [...]
No trouble at all. I wouldn't bother canceling the old one either.
Old Jul 16, 2004, 2:54 pm

Programs: United, Starwood
Can I have two open active accounts?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.