Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ameritrade Starwood offer [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2004, 9:06 am

Receieved the last half of my 10K points

within 2 weeks of the 6 month anniversary of the date I opened the account. I'm satisified with the quickness of the posting, the accuracy of the posting, and of Ameritrade's customer service. I would certainly recommend this for anyone looking to earn some points.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 4:57 pm

Today, I emailed Ameritrade and they said The minimum required funding must remain in your account for nine months, not six months. Did they just changed the terms? I feel like being fooled. And do I need to keep the initial funding or the minimum ($2000)? If I close the account now, can I still keep the first half of starpoints?

Thanks.
Old Oct 28, 2004, 2:06 pm

I don't know if they offer these (I can't imagine them not tho) and I don't even know if this is what you are looking for, but Vanguard funds have some of the better ratios between % gain and low cost fees.
Old Nov 4, 2004, 11:25 am

Programs: SPG (AmEx), A+ (AirTran)
Originally Posted by ilovewars
Today, I emailed Ameritrade and they said The minimum required funding must remain in your account for nine months, not six months. Did they just changed the terms? I feel like being fooled. And do I need to keep the initial funding or the minimum ($2000)? If I close the account now, can I still keep the first half of starpoints?

Thanks.
You must keep the initial funding in there, unless the market is good enough to you that you can withdraw the cushion between your balance and the minimum.

There is no offer code, per se. Just click on the link from the first post (http://www.ameritrade.com/spg/) and go from there. When you click on one of the three buttons on the bottom of the screen, it will ask you for your SPG membership number.

--Chris
Old Dec 1, 2004, 9:33 pm

Programs: 40 46'N 73 57'W; AA Gold; CO Silver
Found it- 0.36% if cash over $2,000. That was in October, so say they've risen 0.25% since then (optimistic). Fidelity mmkt fund I am in is 1.38% and federal tax free.

25000 * (.0138 - .0038) = $250 over one year
.0038 from tax-effected 0.63%
Old Feb 2, 2005, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Currently in Bloomington, IN, but Normally NYC, CDG, and even POZ or wherever FT takes me.
Programs: Northwest Airlines. MTA pay-per-ride Metrocard; zero-balance Oyster card.
No, I just got an offer in the mail. (You'd think Ameritrade would save money and not mail its current customers...). The mailing did not specify an expiration date as far as I can remember. In any case, it came on the 31st...

Anyway, http://ameritrade.com/spg/ is the page.

Last edited by notsosmart; Feb 2, 2005 at 10:40 am
Old Feb 3, 2005, 8:05 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
I am thinking of transferring my joint account to Ameritrade from Etrade. We HAD an Ameritrade account which we transferred out to etrade some time ago (yes this is our refugee mileage whore account). Terms state offer valid for new clients only....do you think I qualify for this? anyone got points after getting miles in the past for the same account??
Old Feb 3, 2005, 11:13 am
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by gpapadop
I am thinking of transferring my joint account to Ameritrade from Etrade. We HAD an Ameritrade account which we transferred out to etrade some time ago (yes this is our refugee mileage whore account). Terms state offer valid for new clients only....do you think I qualify for this? anyone got points after getting miles in the past for the same account??
I can't say for sure but previous reports seem to indicate that you would have to open a different kind of account. So if the previous account at Ameritrade was a joint account you might need to open a personal account. Or vice versa.

It would be best to clarify this with Ameritrade before opening the account. And if you do let us know.
Old Feb 3, 2005, 8:53 pm

Holding period increased to 9 months

Check out the small print - you need to keep the account fully funded for 3 months AFTER you receive the second batch of points. Otherwise they will charge you for the points (or so they say).
Old Feb 11, 2005, 10:19 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Originally Posted by BakerStreet
Check out the small print - you need to keep the account fully funded for 3 months AFTER you receive the second batch of points. Otherwise they will charge you for the points (or so they say).
It's six months after the first Starpoints posting date.

"To qualify for the second half, Ameritrade account must remain open with minimum funding for 6 months from the first Starpoints posting date."

But it still has to meet the 9-month minimum. Odd bit of math there.
Old Mar 29, 2005, 3:06 pm

Ameritrade Problem

I signed up for an Ameritrade account for the SPG points and also signed up for a separate account for my spouse. I received the first half of my points within about 2 weeks. But, my spouse did not. I called SPG and Ameritrade. Ameritrade said that they sent the points. SPG sent me to "corporate" where they took all of my information and said that they would look into it. It's been 2 more weeks and still no points for spouse. I'm starting to worry and I'd prefer not to have to fight this battle again in 9 months.

Any ideas?

I was planning on opening additional accounts with my children, etc. But, now I'm wondering if it is worth the hassle.

SDFLYER
Old Mar 29, 2005, 6:44 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
I am dealing with the EXACT same problem. I'm told by Ameritrade that the points were sent on 3/17 for my custodial account for child AND my wife's account. Nothing yet. They called SPG and I was told by ameritrade that the corporate (?) division has been in receipt of the auth. Ameritrade was told to tell me that the points can take up to two weeks to post after the transfer order. We'll see.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 3:16 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Titanium
Thank you Ameritrade !!!

Ameritrade is great!

I opened up an Ameritrade account 7 months ago for the 20K SPG points offer. (10K up front and 10K after 6-months). You are supposed to have at least $25K in the account to get the last 10K points.

Anyway, I immediately withdrew my $25K deposit after a few days, but never closed the account, and I left about $1 of interest in the account.

I got my $25K back and opened a new joint account w/ my wife for the same 20K SPG Points offer. A few days later I withdrew my $25K w/o closing the 2nd account and totally forgot about Ameritrade until a few weeks ago.

The whole process took maybe 2-weeks to complete and it didn't cost me a dime. Ameritrade did not charge me any fees at all !!

I got the initial 10K points from each of the 2 accounts within 2-3 weeks for a total of 20K SPG points..... and I just got the remaining 20K points exactly 6-months later, eventhough both accounts were pretty much empty!!!

Thank you Ameritrade for the free 40K SPG points. Me and the wife will be enjoying 5 beautiful nights in Maui for FREE thanks to Ameritrade and SPG !!!

Mighty_Bluff
Old Apr 29, 2005, 3:38 pm

Programs: OP, SPG, Amex MR
What spg number did you give the second time?
Old Apr 29, 2005, 3:43 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Titanium
the very same account number. All 40K points posted to the same account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.