Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Pine Cliffs Hotel, Albufeira, Algarve, Portugal [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pine Cliffs Hotel, Albufeira, Algarve, Portugal [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:28 am

Programs: EK Gold EY Gold Sirius Gold SPG Plat / LT Gold
Any recent platinum experiences here? Specifically what amenities are offered?
Old Jul 23, 2012, 11:58 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by dxbtraveller
Any recent platinum experiences here? Specifically what amenities are offered?
Just checked out. Got an upgrade to a Jnr Suite, 500 points amenity, free internet, an invitation to the manegers guest cocktail party and an extra welcome gift of port and marzipans. (though not sure whether some of this is due to being a regular guest rather than a plat).

Breakfast was already included - stayed some nights paid and some points-only.

Plat 'local gift' in lieu of the 500 points would have been a bottle of port.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
What is the quality of this hotel: food, sheets/linens, service, decor? This is branded as a Luxury Collection...is it as Luxury Collection standards?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by nologic
is it as Luxury Collection standards?
Yes, it is.
Old Jun 29, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum (3MM), QF Lifetime Gold, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, Ex-Hyatt Diamond
Do people feel this a truly world class luxury hotel?

How is the food? Do people mostly eat in or go out? Where are the best places to go?

What are the best day trips?

Also, how far is this from Lisbon? How much is a taxi?
Old Jun 30, 2014, 2:15 am

Do people feel this a truly world class luxury hotel?
Maybe if you post some of your expectations for a truly world class luxury hotel, those of us who know this property well could help you better.

How is the food? Do people mostly eat in or go out? Where are the best places to go?
Most guests seem to divide their time between eating in and eating out : there are several good local restaurants and tavernas within walking distance of the property, and many more within a short drive. The hotel restaurants are good, expensive, and consistently busy, particularly the signature O Pescador, where dinner outside on the terrace is delightful.

What are the best day trips?
Best if you have a car : there is nothing walkable from the property. There are loads of great day drips : several coastal towns and fishing villages, coves, beaches and boat trips, the castle at Silves, the drive up to Montchique, the cape at St Vincent & Sagres, the wild Atlantic coast.
Also, how far is this from Lisbon? How much is a taxi?
162 miles. A lot.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
162 miles. A lot.
To update : I overheard a guest here asking the cost of a taxi to LIS and was quoted Eur400.

I normally travel between LIS and the Sheraton Algarve by rental car. On a recent visit, however, I had to travel from the Sheraton Lisbon and tried the train option, and very agreeable this turned out to be too.

Took the Metro yellow line from Picoas (adjacent to the Sheraton) 3 stops (Eur1.40) to the main line station at Entrecampos, then boarded the Faro train as far as Albufeira Ferreiras. The train was an 'Alfa Pendular' - a cousin of the Pendolinos used in the UK and elsewhere in Europe - and an advance-booked ticket in Conforto (First) class cost Eur17 - an absolute bargain for the 2.5 hour, 160 mile trip. Plenty of space, a welcome drink and free wifi too.

The train crosses the Tegus on the lower deck of the April 25 bridge on leaving Lisbon, for great views back over the city, and passes close to Cristo Rei too.

Met at Albufeira Ferreiras by a taxi booked via the hotel concierge for the 15 minute ride to the hotel. Eur15.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:48 pm

I am planning to book a five night stay on points. I have SPG gold. We will be 2 (kids finally all out of the house!)
Should I spend a few more points for an upgraded room?
I see comments in this thread about breakfast included. Could find nothing about this off the thread. Is it?
Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:58 pm

I am told this property doesn't have a heated outdoor pool...
Old Jul 28, 2014, 4:29 am

Website lists two pools -

Last edited by annehamnitz; Jul 29, 2014 at 10:04 am
Old Jul 28, 2014, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by annehamnitz
Website lists two pools - an indoor and an outdoor. Don't know about heat.
I was told the outdoor pool wasn't heated...not good for a luxury collection property.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 4:43 am

I am told this property doesn't have a heated outdoor pool...
I was told the outdoor pool wasn't heated...not good for a luxury collection property.
I'm not sure this expectation is aligned with characteristics of the LC brand. Out of the 41 LC properties in Europe, only 18 have an outdoor pool at all, let alone a heated one. Not sure if any of these are heated.

Website lists two pools - an indoor and an outdoor. Don't know about heat.
There are several outdoor pools, plus a nice large, heated indoor pool.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Jul 29, 2014 at 4:49 am
Old Jul 29, 2014, 5:05 am

I am planning to book a five night stay on points. I have SPG gold. We will be 2 (kids finally all out of the house!)
Should I spend a few more points for an upgraded room?
I see comments in this thread about breakfast included. Could find nothing about this off the thread. Is it?
Even the standard ("deluxe") rooms are a very good size, an upgrade so a grand deluxe would get you a semi-divided room with a bigger seating area, a junior suite is two smaller rooms, and a suite is double-deck. I would think an upgrade would be worth it for a few more points - though If I had the choice I would upgrade to an ocean view first.

If breakfast is listed in the rate, its included, but is not included for award stays.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 9:18 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I stayed there in late May early June upon recommendation by Oxon Flyer and was not disappointed. I had two free spg nights I won in a raffle and used points for the other nights.

As a simple spg gold I got an upgrade to a better room (Deluxe -> Grand Deluxe) in advance which looked like this one:
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/pub/m....123230_ub.jpg

When the checkin lady noted I have two kids with me in tow, she called housekeeping to have the sofa bed converted to a bed.

The benefits in terms of breakfast were rather confusing. At checkin the lady said points stays include breakfast, the free nights don't. When we reported for breakfast, we were on the list for the free nights, but not the points nights. Luckily the lady who checked us in was on duty on those days so she sorted it out to be free on all days.

Spg gold bennies were supposedly free breakfast, free internet or 250 points, so I went for free internet assuming breakfast was included. In the end breakfast and internet was free and I got 250 points. Not complaining

The resort is pretty nice, yes, the out door pool is not heated, but according to the staff it gets very warm in summer.

There are two outdoor pools, we only tried the bigger one to the west, which looked more inviting and was closer to our room. Didn't look at the indoor pool, the weather was simply too nice to go indoors.

Breakfast is at the Jardim Colonial, the selection is pretty decent. Definte yes if its free, avoid if you need to pay.

The O Pescador is very nice, the food is good, the childs menu very nicely done and value for money (aprox 9€ for food and drink). Adult food and beverages are priced atrociously high, especially if you compare it to the excellent eateries just outside the hotel.

Beach access and condition is stellar. The 'sun beds' are free and there is no territory capturing going on in the morning at the beach.

At the time we stayed there the place was full of guests from the British isles with a sprinkling of German, French and Russians. The garden on the west end in front of the cliff was having 2-3 weddings a day, and lying by the pool it felt like they were getting married off on an assembly line

On the pine cliffs end of the resort it seemed that the timeshare guests had activities of their own, lots of football being played, barbecues etc going on.

We had rented a car in FAO, so we were pretty mobile, exploring the neighbouring towns for dinner. Albufeira has nice parts, the downtown by the beach was so absurdly horridly touristy that it was interesting again. We made a trip to Loulé one day and were pleasantly surprised.

Overall this resort is good value for money, especially if you are mobile to meet your nourishment elsewhere and stock up at the larger grocery store a few kilometres away. :-::-::-:
Old Sep 26, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Anyone know which category or categories of room are SNA-able?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.