Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Pine Cliffs Hotel, Albufeira, Algarve, Portugal [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pine Cliffs Hotel, Albufeira, Algarve, Portugal [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2021, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Branding - I have zero idea why this place is branded as Luxury Collection beyond a total cash grab. I have stayed at probably 30-40 different Luxury Collection hotels in the last 5 years and this might be the bottom. Comparing this to the other European Luxury Collection resort properties in e.g. Greece and Italy shows how out of place this hotel is. I understand this was originally a Sheraton and this should probably go back to being a Westin/Marriott/Sheraton resort. There are superior resorts under those brands in Europe already. I’m not sure I’d even count this hotel as 5 star to be honest, some of the policies such as towel cards (strictly one pool/beach towel per person) have no place in a 5 star hotel. I spent 4 nights at Conrad Algarve before moving here and the Conrad ranks above this place on every one of the above categories other than setting, I’m afraid. It was nice to spend some time by the sea but I can’t see myself returning, I’m afraid.
I'll bet it's in The Luxury Collection as part of some sort of long-term contract, because The Luxury Collection and Sheraton brands are weirdly intertwined.

This hotel opened in 1992 as the Sheraton Algarve, and soon became one of the early properties in the ITT Sheraton Luxury Collection, which was started that same year.

The ITT Sheraton Luxury Collection was the elite tier within Sheraton. The hotels were still branded as Sheraton and it wasn't marketed as a separate chain.

Then, two years later, Sheraton bought CIGA and The Luxury Collection doubled in size and was more firmly established as a separate brand within Sheraton, using all the old CIGA branding, like the logo. The CIGA hotels didn't get renamed Sheraton, but all the old hotels were still called Sheraton.

Finally, after Starwood bought the chain, in 1998, they started gradually weeding out the Sheratons that made up about half of The Luxury Collection. They were either renamed, dropping the Sheraton name, or moved back to the main Sheraton brand.

The Sheraton Algarve was one of the last holdouts within The Luxury Collection to still use the Sheraton name. It kept it until a renovation in 2016.

I'd be really curious to know who pushed for the Sheraton name to be dropped - the owners, or Starwood.

Either way, this hotel is a weird property, the Venn diagrams of Sheraton and The Luxury Collection overlap with it, because of how long it's been around.
Old Oct 20, 2021, 3:05 pm

Programs: BONVOY Lifetime Platinum , Ay Platinum, Hhonors Diamond
Had a pleasure of staying few nights in Pine Cliffs residence section. Somewhat mixed feelings about the place. Property feeled bit crowded and eg. pool areas and beaches were at high occupancy, and if you wanted to get sunbeds near the pool, better come early. Annoying "towel reservation" for the beds still going strong among some customers.

Most irritating part was the shuttle service. They now no longer have the "train" shuttle service and have replaced it with 2 vans driving around the resort. As the place is quite large and with high occupancy rate it took way too much time for the Shuttle to arrive. Waited +30min for the van couple of times and required few calls to make it right. Not acceptable for resort of this size/status. Also no estimate or timeframe given when calling for the shuttle.

Otherwise positive thougts. Very beautiful place, variety of restaurants (thought pricey), lots of pool areas to choose from and splendid beach. Water was bit chilly thought (october).

Residence section worked for us (if only the shuttle system were better). Spacious rooms with good amenities. Shows it age, but still have "Charm". Not much status advantage as Plat, breakfast offered for 2 adults, not to the entire "room" as previously mentioned. No late check outs, no special gifts/treats (maybe a fruit basket etc. at room when checked in).

As previously mentioned here, solid stay but lacks "luxury collection feel"
Old May 4, 2022, 2:08 pm

Programs: AC Altitude E50K;HH Gold, Hertz Gold, Amex Plat, Prio Pass Marriott Bonvoy Plat, Avis President Club
Pleasant Stayed

My wife and I recently stayed two nights at the Pine Cliff hotel. Originally we booked for 50K Marriott Reward points a night. Then a couple of weeks before we arrived, I saw a discount code on this forum. Rebooked for 195 Euro/night, which is a good deal, saved me 100K Marriott points. As a Platinum member, I applied two SNA to the base reservation room, which is Deluxe Room Resort View, 5 days before we arrived, an email was sent to us and confirmed we got upgraded to Duplex Suite Ocean View, Suite, 1 Queen, Balcony. The staffs were friendly and helpful when we check-in. We find the room is good enough for us.

The first morning, we had breakfast at O Pescador, buffet style, which has a smaller selection of hot foods, but a nice and quiet restaurant, mostly adults when we were there. On our second morning, we tried
Jardim Colonial, a larger restaurant with many stations of buffets, but it was crowded with family and kids. For dinner both nights, we went to a restaurant, just outside the gate to the hotel, Adega TiCosta. The food there is good and very cheap compared to the restaurants we saw at the Pine Cliff resort.

On our second day, it was raining, so we explored a bit of the old town of Albufeira, had lunch there before coming back, and enjoyed the hot tub in our room. Overall, we enjoyed the Pine Cliffs Hotel and the facilities there. I imagine this place is crowded with family during the summer season.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old May 4, 2022, 5:05 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by AsiaMission
My wife and I recently stayed two nights at the Pine Cliff hotel. Originally we booked for 50K Marriott Reward points a night. Then a couple of weeks before we arrived, I saw a discount code on this forum. Rebooked for 195 Euro/night, which is a good deal, saved me 100K Marriott points. As a Platinum member, I applied two SNA to the base reservation room, which is Deluxe Room Resort View, 5 days before we arrived, an email was sent to us and confirmed we got upgraded to Duplex Suite Ocean View, Suite, 1 Queen, Balcony. The staffs were friendly and helpful when we check-in. We find the room is good enough for us.

The first morning, we had breakfast at O Pescador, buffet style, which has a smaller selection of hot foods, but a nice and quiet restaurant, mostly adults when we were there. On our second morning, we tried
Jardim Colonial, a larger restaurant with many stations of buffets, but it was crowded with family and kids. For dinner both nights, we went to a restaurant, just outside the gate to the hotel, Adega TiCosta. The food there is good and very cheap compared to the restaurants we saw at the Pine Cliff resort.

On our second day, it was raining, so we explored a bit of the old town of Albufeira, had lunch there before coming back, and enjoyed the hot tub in our room. Overall, we enjoyed the Pine Cliffs Hotel and the facilities there. I imagine this place is crowded with family during the summer season.
Glad you had a good stay. It is absolutely awful in the summer unless you find hordes of screaming children and their awful parents relaxing.

That is a good rate - do you mind sharing the discount code?
Old May 5, 2022, 10:27 am

Programs: AC Altitude E50K;HH Gold, Hertz Gold, Amex Plat, Prio Pass Marriott Bonvoy Plat, Avis President Club
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
Glad you had a good stay. It is absolutely awful in the summer unless you find hordes of screaming children and their awful parents relaxing.

That is a good rate - do you mind sharing the discount code?
I find the code at the Marriott/ Marriott Bonvoy Master Thread, Sticky Note under "List of publicly usable Marriott Reservation Codes"
I think I used LPR or LRR codes, Can't remember exactly, but you have to try to apply each code individually until it works. Read that thread carefully.
Radiation Station likes this.

Last edited by AsiaMission; May 5, 2022 at 10:33 am
Old May 5, 2022, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by AsiaMission
I find the code at the Marriott/ Marriott Bonvoy Master Thread, Sticky Note under "List of publicly usable Marriott Reservation Codes"
I think I used LPR or LRR codes, Can't remember exactly, but you have to try to apply each code individually until it works. Read that thread carefully.
LPR at the Pine Cliff is by T&C details of the rate only for ClubMembers/Owners of the resort
Old Jul 5, 2022, 12:27 pm

Folks - is getting a 5-day reservation at the Ocean suites which I believe is the only one with a full kitchen difficult with just points? I only see options for 'Redemption with Cash Upgrade' which doesn't make sense to me as it's 500 Euros for 5 days
Old Jul 5, 2022, 1:15 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by sam007
Folks - is getting a 5-day reservation at the Ocean suites which I believe is the only one with a full kitchen difficult with just points? I only see options for 'Redemption with Cash Upgrade' which doesn't make sense to me as it's 500 Euros for 5 days
The Residences have full kitchens.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 2:35 pm

I heard the residences are much further from the beach and you need a shuttle - is that right?
Old Jul 5, 2022, 2:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Yes, but keep in mind that none of the options are actually beachfront.
Old Jul 5, 2022, 3:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
We stayed in the Ocean Suites in years past on points but not sure if it’s now more difficult to get an award or not. As for the kitchen, if you really need it then $100 per day doesn’t seem extreme to me in the grand scheme of things if it guarantees you that vs a regular room, As for the Residences, they are further away and at least back then not as nice as the Ocean Suites…..not sure if they’ve been updated since our stay several years ago.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 2:37 am

I heard the residences are much further from the beach and you need a shuttle - is that right?
Yes, the residences are further away but not that much if you get a suite in one of the low number buildings. I always walked from there to the beach which takes about only 5 min more than from the hotel. Have a look at the map and ask for a room in S1-S5. Whats more the BF place at the residences is by far superior to the main BF resto.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 3:52 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LT Titanium
Just completed a four night stay at the Ocean Suites. As Lifetime Titanium was upgraded to a 2BR with a pool view from base category. Staff was friendly but shudder to think how they manage during busy season. Breakfast was chaotic as main restaurant was always a wait, One of the two other options (Zest) was closed for two nights of our stay. Ended up using our 20 Euro per person breakfast credit at the clubhouse those days. Doesn't seem like the scale of the common facilities could support peak occupancy in the hotel, ocean suites and residences as I found them overwhelmed even during low season.

Overall a convenient place to stay to visit the Algarve (we drove all over from Sagres in west to Tavira in east) but be warned if visiting in peak periods.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 3:57 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by ny747
Just completed a four night stay at the Ocean Suites. As Lifetime Titanium was upgraded to a 2BR with a pool view from base category. Staff was friendly but shudder to think how they manage during busy season. Breakfast was chaotic as main restaurant was always a wait, One of the two other options (Zest) was closed for two nights of our stay. Ended up using our 20 Euro per person breakfast credit at the clubhouse those days. Doesn't seem like the scale of the common facilities could support peak occupancy in the hotel, ocean suites and residences as I found them overwhelmed even during low season.

Overall a convenient place to stay to visit the Algarve (we drove all over from Sagres in west to Tavira in east) but be warned if visiting in peak periods.
Nothing has changed then, it was a total mess at breakfast when we stayed in August a couple of years back. More like a zoo than a hotel. I have no idea how this place has managed to brand itself as a Luxury Collection.
Old Sep 10, 2023, 12:48 pm

Ahhh!!! Reading all of these posts is making me sad. I've booked a seven-day stay here for next January. Hopefully things will be better then...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.