Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Pine Cliffs Hotel, Albufeira, Algarve, Portugal [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pine Cliffs Hotel, Albufeira, Algarve, Portugal [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2020, 6:35 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I disagree in that when I stayed here, the children made the breakfast buffet in the hotel an absolute zoo. A LC hotel should not "feature" kids running around the restaurant and shrieking, nor should unsupervised children touch food with their hands and then put it back.
FWIW. the breakfast buffet area has been completely remodelled and enlarged since, and I've not experienced anything like a zoo.

And anyway, aren't any previous experiences relating to hotel "breakfast buffets" now null and void in this new reality ?

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Aug 25, 2020 at 6:44 am
Old Aug 25, 2020, 2:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yes and no. If it was crowded as a buffet, breakfast is likely to remain crowded now, to the extent that the hotel is full, resulting in having a line of people waiting to be seated. Similarly, getting rid of the buffet doesn't mean that there won't be screaming kids running around, just that the children won't have access to the food that others will be eating.

BTW, does Portugal have regulations that indoor restaurants can only be used at 25-50% capacity due to COVID-19? Or has the breakfast area expanded to include a lot of outdoor tables?
Old Oct 14, 2020, 4:52 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
question after reading this: annoyingly i got an email that my booking at the Ocean Suites has been moved to the Hotel next month because the Suites will be closed for Nov-mid Dec for works evidently.

would i be better off in the residence?

i do not need anything special, i am just looking for more peace and quiet than anything.
Old Oct 14, 2020, 4:16 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by VSLover
question after reading this: annoyingly i got an email that my booking at the Ocean Suites has been moved to the Hotel next month because the Suites will be closed for Nov-mid Dec for works evidently.

i do not need anything special, i am just looking for more peace and quiet than anything.
The Residence will likely be quieter. What room type did you book? There are only 2 and 3 br options at the residence.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
The Residence will likely be quieter. What room type did you book? There are only 2 and 3 br options at the residence.
hmmm ok. i was in a junior suite and moved to the same at the hotel...and 2bd is unnecessary perhaps. thanks for pointing that out.
Old Oct 15, 2020, 12:53 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...

I’ve stayed in quite a number of rooms all over the hotel, and never had anything but peace and quiet. Generally, the whole resort has a gentle, peaceful vibe to it, including the hotel.

The rooms are all of generous size and perfectly fine for a couple to stay for a few days. The Residences are apartment-sized and a better option for a family.

The hotel is at a lower category and price point than the Ocean Suites, so if I were being moved from there to the hotel I would expect some recompense. Either a partial refund or a guarantee of a suite or a seaview room or some other package of goodies.
VSLover likes this.
Old May 23, 2021, 3:44 am

Programs: Some
I am wrapping up a stay here at the Ocean Suites (the Ocean Suites thread seems to still be in the SPG forum?) and will provide some thoughts as I imagine this hotel could be a popular choice with British FTers this year.

Setting - Beautiful location by the sea. Yes, this is a huge megaresort complex of a kind which doesn’t really exist often in Europe and is more a US thing. It reminds me a lot of Costa Navarino, although I’d argue Costa Navarino does it much better, frankly.

Upgrades - I booked a junior suite with pool view (1-2 categories above base) and was given an upgrade to a top floor junior suite in the sea view block as Ambassador, so they will at least try to upgrade. However, occupancy was relatively low when I checked in and now seems to be ramping up. Still didn’t manage to get an upgrade from junior suite to one bedroom suite! My room is inexplicably missing balcony furniture, which is annoying.

Service - Reception staff/concierge are insanely friendly. Some of the other staff in restaurants are a bit unpolished. Housekeeping seem fairly good. Some service issues throughout.

Children - You should expect lots of them. Most guests seem to be British or Portuguese families, the whole hotel is very child-friendly. There is a lack of adult only areas, the hotel is missing a serious trick by not designating one of the many pools as adult only, they are often all overrun with playing children.

F&B - It’s mediocre, to be honest. Breakfast is an assisted buffet and is fine, but more to the standard of a 4 star hotel than a supposed 5 star one. I imagine as the hotel gets busier the breakfast experience will become a bit of a zoo. There are only two restaurants open in the complex currently during the day (Corda Cafe and the beach restaurant). Food is neither particularly local to Portugal or especially premium.

Build quality - It’s OK rather than good. My room has an annoying creaking balcony door already which isn’t great given the hotel is set on cliffs with a lot of wind/breezes! Furniture/bathroom feels like what you’d expect in a standard Marriott resort.

COVID measures - Aside from the assisted buffet and widespread mask wearing, the public areas feel fairly normal. Room service is delivered in cardboard take away packaging. No turndown service. All glasses/mugs have been removed from rooms and replaced by paper cups. It took three requests over two days to get some wine glasses delivered to my room(!). The hotel has also adopted many of the worst US megaresort policies, including charging 5 EUR for said wine glasses to be delivered...

Branding - I have zero idea why this place is branded as Luxury Collection beyond a total cash grab. I have stayed at probably 30-40 different Luxury Collection hotels in the last 5 years and this might be the bottom. Comparing this to the other European Luxury Collection resort properties in e.g. Greece and Italy shows how out of place this hotel is. I understand this was originally a Sheraton and this should probably go back to being a Westin/Marriott/Sheraton resort. There are superior resorts under those brands in Europe already. I’m not sure I’d even count this hotel as 5 star to be honest, some of the policies such as towel cards (strictly one pool/beach towel per person) have no place in a 5 star hotel. I spent 4 nights at Conrad Algarve before moving here and the Conrad ranks above this place on every one of the above categories other than setting, I’m afraid. It was nice to spend some time by the sea but I can’t see myself returning, I’m afraid.
Old May 23, 2021, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I am wrapping up a stay here at the Ocean Suites (the Ocean Suites thread seems to still be in the SPG forum?) and will provide some thoughts as I imagine this hotel could be a popular choice with British FTers this year.

thank you for your detailed review!

i had been waffling between the suites and residences and your experience confirms that i'll be much happier in the residences away from masses of children and some of the other issues you encountered but it is a good update on what to expect thanks to just living in a different time now.
Old May 23, 2021, 10:02 am

Setting - Beautiful location by the sea. Yes, this is a huge megaresort complex of a kind which doesn’t really exist often in Europe and is more a US thing. It reminds me a lot of Costa Navarino, although I’d argue Costa Navarino does it much better, frankly.

Upgrades - I booked a junior suite with pool view (1-2 categories above base) and was given an upgrade to a top floor junior suite in the sea view block as Ambassador, so they will at least try to upgrade. However, occupancy was relatively low when I checked in and now seems to be ramping up. Still didn’t manage to get an upgrade from junior suite to one bedroom suite! My room is inexplicably missing balcony furniture, which is annoying.

Service - Reception staff/concierge are insanely friendly. Some of the other staff in restaurants are a bit unpolished. Housekeeping seem fairly good. Some service issues throughout.

Children - You should expect lots of them. Most guests seem to be British or Portuguese families, the whole hotel is very child-friendly. There is a lack of adult only areas, the hotel is missing a serious trick by not designating one of the many pools as adult only, they are often all overrun with playing children.

F&B - It’s mediocre, to be honest. Breakfast is an assisted buffet and is fine, but more to the standard of a 4 star hotel than a supposed 5 star one. I imagine as the hotel gets busier the breakfast experience will become a bit of a zoo. There are only two restaurants open in the complex currently during the day (Corda Cafe and the beach restaurant). Food is neither particularly local to Portugal or especially premium.

Build quality - It’s OK rather than good. My room has an annoying creaking balcony door already which isn’t great given the hotel is set on cliffs with a lot of wind/breezes! Furniture/bathroom feels like what you’d expect in a standard Marriott resort.

COVID measures - Aside from the assisted buffet and widespread mask wearing, the public areas feel fairly normal. Room service is delivered in cardboard take away packaging. No turndown service. All glasses/mugs have been removed from rooms and replaced by paper cups. It took three requests over two days to get some wine glasses delivered to my room(!). The hotel has also adopted many of the worst US megaresort policies, including charging 5 EUR for said wine glasses to be delivered...

Branding - I have zero idea why this place is branded as Luxury Collection beyond a total cash grab. I have stayed at probably 30-40 different Luxury Collection hotels in the last 5 years and this might be the bottom. Comparing this to the other European Luxury Collection resort properties in e.g. Greece and Italy shows how out of place this hotel is. I understand this was originally a Sheraton and this should probably go back to being a Westin/Marriott/Sheraton resort. There are superior resorts under those brands in Europe already. I’m not sure I’d even count this hotel as 5 star to be honest, some of the policies such as towel cards (strictly one pool/beach towel per person) have no place in a 5 star hotel. I spent 4 nights at Conrad Algarve before moving here and the Conrad ranks above this place on every one of the above categories other than setting, I’m afraid. It was nice to spend some time by the sea but I can’t see myself returning, I’m afraid.
I bet this summer this property will be packed all over with unbearable brit chavs given that they currently cannot travel almost anywhere else in Europe. I feel sorry for everybody else who’ll be staying there with them.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.

Last edited by MePlatPremier; May 23, 2021 at 1:33 pm
Old May 23, 2021, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Thanks for the review lost_in_translation.

I had been looking at this hotel as an option to hotel hop for a few days at the start of August assuming Portugal is one of the few countries open to us Brits without self-isolating on return.
( Considering the hilton villamoura, conrad algarve & pine cliffs)
The Conrad algarve sounds great but is over EUR200 per night more than Pine cliffs ( Conrad at EUR600pn)

Ideally I would love italy to go green so I could go to Venice (tempted for a few nights at the JW Marriott)

Regards

TBS
Old May 23, 2021, 2:22 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb

I stayed here for a night last summer during August and I completely agree. This resort is a
middling quality Sheraton at best (I’ve stayed at better Sheraton resorts). It simple does not have the refinement, hard product, uniqueness or ambience of a Luxury Collection, or any other top end Marriott property. When I stayed, it was absolutely packed with families with young children too. Breakfast was a completely overwhelming zoo and the quality of the food and service was three star at best. Anyone travelling alone or as a couple would be well placed to avoid this property.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old May 23, 2021, 3:19 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
+1 on that. This place is a clear Sheraton level (3-4*) property, by no means 5*.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old May 24, 2021, 4:35 am

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Thanks for the review lost_in_translation.

I had been looking at this hotel as an option to hotel hop for a few days at the start of August assuming Portugal is one of the few countries open to us Brits without self-isolating on return.
( Considering the hilton villamoura, conrad algarve & pine cliffs)
The Conrad algarve sounds great but is over EUR200 per night more than Pine cliffs ( Conrad at EUR600pn)

Ideally I would love italy to go green so I could go to Venice (tempted for a few nights at the JW Marriott)

Regards

TBS
I’m guessing the Conrad Algarve will basically be printing money this summer as the only international chain 5 star hotel in the Algarve. Seems to already be sold out for most weekends for the next couple of months! There is an Amex FHR 3 for 4 nights deal currently if you didn’t spot that already. The added benefit being also guaranteed 4pm check out in a period where late check out probably just won’t be happening otherwise. My other recommendations if you’re willing to pay Conrad prices and look outside the Algarve in Portugal would be Penha Longa (slightly cheaper) and Six Senses Douro Valley (slightly more expensive). I also like the look of the new Boeira Garden Hotel in Porto. I’m planning on doing all three in the next month .
Old May 24, 2021, 12:26 pm

thank you for your detailed review!

i had been waffling between the suites and residences and your experience confirms that i'll be much happier in the residences away from masses of children and some of the other issues you encountered but it is a good update on what to expect thanks to just living in a different time now.
Forget about the residences being away from masses of children. They are full of children because of the affordable 2- and 3 bedroom apptmts. Including mine this October as almost every year at the moment.
Old Jun 23, 2021, 3:06 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Wrapped up a stay here this week. It was our second time at the hotel. It's a very nice resort, but I agree with others it's not truly 'luxury'.

Pro's:
  • The primary reason for us to return was that the resort is so expansive and spread-out. There was ample room to relax at the pools or in the garden. The landscaping is also very well kept.
  • The resort and buildings have a charm. I stayed at the Anantara Vilamoura prior and while that also is a perfectly nice hotel, it could also have been located anywhere in the world based on the design.
  • I like the contrast in the room between a modern bathroom and a more traditional bedroom with Portugese elements. I think the entire hotel has done a great job in generating a characteristic design without being outdated. It's quaint.
  • The reception service started off cold but luckily other staff members were much more friendly. Especially at breakfast, the staff was very friendly and personable. There also seemed to be sufficient staff around.
  • As a Marriott nobody, they provided 4pm late check-out for both of our rooms.
Cons:
  • Some elements/policies are not part of a 5-star LC property: instant coffee in the room instead of a Nespresso and a towel card which is strictly limited to one towel. Really? Proper glasses and cups are back in the rooms though.
  • No turn-down service provided despite it being mentioned in the room details. Blamed on COVID but the other hotel we stayed at in the Algarve had no problem providing it.
  • Some wear and tear in the rooms.
  • While the breakfast quality was generally good (except the coffee, still), there was almost no variation. Last year, they had one station which rotated offerings each day.
  • We had lunch a couple of times. Portion size/quality went down compared to our previous visit. During the lunch peak, service also deteriorated. I really wonder how they will hold up with a full house.
I do have to say we really lucked out with the occupancy. Between being outside of school holidays, Portugal on the UK amber list and Lisbon going into lockdown, there weren't that many guest around in the hotel. The rest of the compound (Residences and properties) was almost eerie quiet; the pool near the Pine Cliffs Residences was deserted). We thus had no issue finding a sunbed or had to wait in line for breakfast or queue up at the restaurants. I can imagine that the experience during school holidays will be very different. Especially at the relatively small breakfast venue and main hotel pools.

All in all I had a very nice stay and we had booked a nice rate when travel was still down. I would not hesitate to return IF outside of the peak periods. I do agree with previous posters that the resort is more on a Sheraton level and not truly luxury.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.