Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Official Announcement: SPG and Marriott Programs to Merge on August 18th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Announcement: SPG and Marriott Programs to Merge on August 18th

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Can we book award stays after Aug 18th using new chart now?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by TerryK
Can we book award stays after Aug 18th using new chart now?
No.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:46 am

What will happen to my SET/Corporate Account Rate #? It is currently so easy to book via SPG app or SPG.com online with Corporate Rates. Will this carry over?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
As I posted in another thread but no one seems to agree that if someone is currently over 75 nights in an SPG account when the "One Progam" kicks in the 75 night gift option should happen for that account. The member is losing the SPG75 account benefits so it should be replaced with the PP benefits including the gift option.
This assumes one gets the "choice" benefit email and selected the 10 SNAs already. It is my understanding that if you do/did not do this - then you will only get the new benefits, of two choices of 5 SNAs per. That is why (again solely my understanding) that it would be best to not go over 75 pre Aug 18.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by yyzlhr
Really getting more confused the more I read.

As of Aug 10 I will be at:

SPG: 49 nights
MR: 25 nights.

As I read if I get the one more night and get 50 SPG before Aug 18 - I may or may not get the option of 10SNA. Also I get the one extra night then at merge time I will be 75 and get no SNA as well.

The web page https://www.spgpromos.com/50nightsbenefit for selecting the benefits at 50 nights now shows the below which leads me to believe no chance of the 10SNA anymore.... What strategy to take?Coming soon

MEMBERS WITH AT LEAST 50 ELIGIBLE NIGHTS CAN CHOOSE THEIR BENEFIT.

We'll unveil our Annual Choice Benefits and invite eligible members to select the new benefit that suits them best.

We'll send eligible members all the details as soon as the new options are available. In the meantime, keep booking and staying.
The specifics have not been released, however, the Lurker has stated that if your merged account puts you over the threshold you will not get the benefit, that you need to cross the threshold after the merge.

Personally if I were in your case, I'd jump on getting 50 SPG nights BEFORE to get the 10 nights. Then, if you don't get the 5 nights after the merge, make a request of MPG to manually post them.

There are so many corner cases with this benefit there's never going to be one answer to all of them. Should someone with 100 MR nights now get 10 SNAs at their merge? What if they also had 50 SPG nights and got 10 SNAs for that, how many SNAs due?

Last edited by RogerD408; Jul 31, 2018 at 8:03 am Reason: too late
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by RogerD408

Personally if I were in your case, I'd jump on getting 50 SPG nights BEFORE to get the 10 nights. Then, if you don't get the 5 nights after the merge, make a request of MPG to manually post them.
I believe it's too late. This is from the email I received:
In the event that an eligible Platinum Preferred Guest® fails to select a Platinum 50 Eligible Nights Benefit by 11:59 a.m. ET July 27, 2018, such Platinum Preferred Guest will receive 10 Suite Night Awards as his/her 2018 Platinum 50 Eligible Nights Benefit. If a member reaches 50 eligible nights between 12:00 p.m. ET July 27, 2018, and 11:59 p.m. ET December 31, 2018, member will have the option to select 5 Suite Night Awards as one of the available Platinum 50 Annual Choice Benefits for 2018. Please see the SPG Terms and Conditions for full details.
Bolding mine.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:15 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
My 50th eligible SPG night this year [completed yesterday] posted this morning, but no e-mail or notifications from SPG yet. I knew that the 10 SNA award wasn't going to be on the table, but was at least hoping for a notification of re-qualifying for Plat at the very least.

We'll see what happens over the course of today. T-minus nineteen days...

khabah
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by khabah
My 50th eligible SPG night this year [completed yesterday] posted this morning, but no e-mail or notifications from SPG yet. I knew that the 10 SNA award wasn't going to be on the table, but was at least hoping for a notification of re-qualifying for Plat at the very least.

We'll see what happens over the course of today. T-minus nineteen days...

khabah
Imagine how stressed their resources are right now (systems & people). I'm sure they will catch up and you will get your Plat status by the time everything shakes out.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 8:26 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Imagine how stressed their resources are right now (systems & people). I'm sure they will catch up and you will get your Plat status by the time everything shakes out.
Not worried about falling through any cracks, I can imagine that Marriott must be inundated with all sorts of issues in the run-up to the one program launch - just putting it out there that I completed 50 nights since a few people share the concern over what's going on so close to the launch date.

Will keep the thread posted if anything lands on my end.

khabah
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
No.
Bummer. If we booked an award now for stay after Aug 18th, do we need to cancel and rebook or can we get point difference adjusted? I have an award booking where point required goes down.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nygiants242
What will happen to my SET/Corporate Account Rate #? It is currently so easy to book via SPG app or SPG.com online with Corporate Rates. Will this carry over?
If they start using Marriott-negotiated rates, you will be sorely disappointed...
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Bummer. If we booked an award now for stay after Aug 18th, do we need to cancel and rebook or can we get point difference adjusted? I have an award booking where point required goes down.
See Lurker's response in post # 1954 here.

Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August

Some good news today for those who have award bookings after August where the hotel will be going down in category. While if a redemption stay is booked prior to when the new categories go into effect, a member would not automatically receive a points refund should the hotel require fewer points, members will be able to contact us for assistance in moving the reservation to new category pricing without losing the reservation. This was not the case in SPG where a new availability check was required, so I'm pleased that the current Marriott Rewards policy will continue in that regard.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You should be able too. You might want to hold off and see if someone else blazes the way. IF award rooms are available after the 18th, then you could book a new rez and cancel the original. DO NOT cancel the original until you confirm the lower rate! There is no guarantee the award inventory will return immediately, if at all, or that someone else may snag it before you.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I believe it's too late. This is from the email I received:
In the event that an eligible Platinum Preferred Guest® fails to select a Platinum 50 Eligible Nights Benefit by 11:59 a.m. ET July 27, 2018, such Platinum Preferred Guest will receive 10 Suite Night Awards as his/her 2018 Platinum 50 Eligible Nights Benefit. If a member reaches 50 eligible nights between 12:00 p.m. ET July 27, 2018, and 11:59 p.m. ET December 31, 2018, member will have the option to select 5 Suite Night Awards as one of the available Platinum 50 Annual Choice Benefits for 2018. Please see the SPG Terms and Conditions for full details.
Bolding mine.
Yes, that was the info I remembered... Ah well, looks like it's too late for most. I thought we had until the merger to get to 50 - but guess it was until July 27. At least now us LTPs can "merge" sooner rather than later and there will be no difference to us.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, MP Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Yes, that was the info I remembered... Ah well, looks like it's too late for most. I thought we had until the merger to get to 50 - but guess it was until July 27. At least now us LTPs can "merge" sooner rather than later and there will be no difference to us.
This has been most frustrating experience. Looks like I will miss another benefit. Thought I had until Aug 18. Planned on posting 50th night this weekend. Can this nightmare finally end!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.