Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Official Announcement: SPG and Marriott Programs to Merge on August 18th

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official Announcement: SPG and Marriott Programs to Merge on August 18th

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2018, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by pokee
OMG...I am reading through all of these posts and it all just looks like a bloody nightmare! I am going to have to hunker down and take notes to figure out what my game plan is!

I feel badly for anyone that has a reservation on Sat. Aug. 18th...I have one on the 23rd, and at least I have a few business days to sort out any SNAFUS...
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I have one on the 17th, one on the 18th, and one on the 19th. Should be fun!
The ones that will have the biggest issue are those wanting to actually book something on the 18th. As long as your reservation is in the system, say by the 17th, it should be sent to the property with all the needed account info and that is what will be used when you check in. I suspect the next issue will be when they go to post your stay, since you should have a new SPG number after the 18th. Hopefully their conversion process will take the property systems into consideration. Hold on tight!
pokee likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:00 am

Programs: BA Silver, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by minz56
Based on my understanding you will be INVITED on 18 August to merge your accounts ... ie, it won't happen automatically. You have until the end of the year to merge your accounts and then it becomes mandatory.

Therefore it doesn't make any sense to merge your accounts while you have stays, ie on 18 August. If you do nothing then SPG benefits will apply and the points associated with that. Personally I would merge my accounts when I have no bookings.

Is my understanding correct?
minz56 That is basically what I got told on the phone call with the SPG call centre yesterday.

If you use a mix of Starwood and Marriott Hotels for your stays, it would make sense to merge your accounts on the 18th of August.

If you mainly use Starwood Hotels only, the new information suggests it would be better to keep your SPG account separate for as long as possible - which would be the end of the year. This way you get the current 10 / 25 / 50 stays for status credits, earn Lifetime Nights and up to 3 nights / stays for bookings in the same hotel at the same time.

So as an SPG Loyalist, the advice from the agent for my situation is don't do anything on the 18th.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:06 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by minz56
Based on my understanding you will be INVITED on 18 August to merge your accounts ... ie, it won't happen automatically. You have until the end of the year to merge your accounts and then it becomes mandatory.

Therefore it doesn't make any sense to merge your accounts while you have stays, ie on 18 August. If you do nothing then SPG benefits will apply and the points associated with that. Personally I would merge my accounts when I have no bookings.

Is my understanding correct?
I think you are correct on that part and I have no intended to merge it until year end.

But on 18-Aug, ALL SPG accounts will be converted also into new program. You will get 9 digits MR like account number and all existing points will be converted to new program points (x3). Your earning will be 10 points / $ and so on....

well, this is my understanding, I hope it is correct.

This is also why my first question, even for redemption, to be based on new rates and category, can I start to redeem at 18 Aug hotel time or have to wait until 18 Aug US EST?

Old Jul 28, 2018, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by lingua101
This is also why my first question, even for redemption, to be based on new rates and category, can I start to redeem at 18 Aug hotel time or have to wait until 18 Aug US EST?

Given they are taking the central worldwide system down (properties exempted) on the 18th EDT until they are ready to let us in, your only hope will be to call the property to see if they are willing/able to book a stay. I doubt the CSRs will have a functioning system to make any reservations. And if the the property delegates all reservations to central, nothing to happen then either.

Personally, I'd be scrambling to make whatever reservations I need that week right now! Get them into the system and to the properties as early as possible and SAVE all screenshots/confirmations as they happen. Everything else to wait until the first reports come back as to how the system is doing.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Can Starwood Lurker please confirm if I am able to postpone the merger and keep the same spg rules until end of the year? All I need to do is unmerge my already spg and marriott accounts.

Have a reservation for 3 rooms in September for 7 nights each. Those 21 nights would be great into my life time account rather only 7 nights.
​​​​​​
Old Jul 28, 2018, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joakgarp
Can Starwood Lurker please confirm if I am able to postpone the merger and keep the same spg rules until end of the year? All I need to do is unmerge my already spg and marriott accounts.

Have a reservation for 3 rooms in September for 7 nights each. Those 21 nights would be great into my life time account rather only 7 nights.
​​​​​​
Your accounts are NOT merged yet. You have linked them which is different. The real question to ask is if the credit for up to three rooms will stay in play?

The Lurker has posted: Members will earn points for up to 3 rooms and will earn Elite Night credit for their personal room. <added by Starwood Lurker 23Apr18> in the Wiki at Official announcement – See how our three loyalty programs will become one in August. Now will that hold true? Unknown at this time.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by joakgarp

​​​​​​
Have you read the official announcement? The one where it states the websites will be down while they launch the new single program on both sites? How will you use the old system if the website is being replaced? In many other ways the announcement makes it clear that regardless of whether you combine your accounts you will be in the new system. The SPG program will be put to sleep at 6:00 am EST 18 Aug. For example Marriott states "...you get a communication when our one program is live and you’re able to combine your SPG and Rewards accounts." The order in that statement makes it clear there will be one program, after which people can combine their accounts, not that there will be two programs and you will need to combine your accounts to take a part in the new program.

How is that so difficult to understand?
Old Jul 28, 2018, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Have you read the official announcement? The order in that statement makes it clear there will be one program, after which people can combine their accounts, not that there will be two programs and you will need to combine your accounts to take a part in the new program.

Because Starwood staff are saying different on the phone...

Old Jul 28, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Please read the last posts.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
The CSRs clearly misunderstand what is happening. CSRs have been a wealth of misinformation since April. Again, how do you think Marriott is going to run the legacy program if the points are awarded and spent in the new program, the website and app are moved into the new program and status levels are only recognized in the new program? It has been mentioned that the CSRs will be using the two different systems for now, but both systems are being moved to the new program. The CSR will need to figure in which system each guest;s information is in, but 18SPG legacy program itself ends on Aug 18th at 6:00 am. The marketing materials are very clear. CSRs do not run the company.

Sorry, but the clear marketing materials that go into detail on what changes will automatically happen on Aug 18 and letting members know after the changes they should combine their accounts leave zero room for the CSR to be right. Combining accounts, which despite your earlier post has not happened yet, takes place after all the accounts have been moved into the new program so not merging will be irrelevant to your being moved into the new program,

Last edited by CJKatl; Jul 28, 2018 at 5:00 pm
Old Jul 28, 2018, 6:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
I believe it is going to be difficult to rely on oral representations of the program. Marriott is setting their, and Starwood's, CSR's up for failure in this merger of loyalty programs by having three different set of rules through December 31. 1) Use the SPG rules; 2) use the current Marriott Rewards rules; or 3) use the new Marriott program rules.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 6:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by controller1
Marriott is setting their, and Starwood's, CSR's up for failure in this merger of loyalty programs by having three different set of rules through December 31. 1) Use the SPG rules; 2) use the current Marriott Rewards rules; or 3) use the new Marriott program rules.
I haven't seen anything that says there will be three sets of rules come 18 August. It will be one program with one set of rules.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Terminal6
Because Starwood staff are saying different on the phone...
I wouldn't trust anything a CSR says on the phone wrt the program merger. When I called a couple weeks ago the agent would do nothing but parrot back the FAQ from the website.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I haven't seen anything that says there will be three sets of rules come 18 August. It will be one program with one set of rules.
Well we know conclusively that is not correct. One can qualify on legacy rules SPG or MR through end of year.
controller1 likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2018, 9:36 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by UA-NYC

Well we know conclusively that is not correct. One can qualify on legacy rules SPG or MR through end of year.
What I gather from the Lurkers and my own interpretation of the new program rules is that as of 8/18:
  1. Everything, be it MR, RC and/or SPG, will be ONE program. Look at it as three brands/names of the same product.
  2. Our 11-digit SPG numbers will be replaced with new 9-digit numbers consistent with MR's system rules and that down the line/between those of us who have pre-existing MR numbers, we can select which number we want to work with going forward.
  3. With the implementation of the one new as-yet-unnamed program on 8/18, one can qualify for any level of elite status through the agglomeration of MR/SPG nights. If that's the case, the top-tier Platinum Premier Elite with Ambassador status is granted upon the completion of 100 nights [be they with any combination of legacy MR or SPG brands] in addition to the $20K annual spend.
  4. With the implementation of the one new as-yet-unnamed program on 8/18, one can qualify for Platinum Premier Elite with Ambassador status through 100 nights at SPG legacy brands only, regardless of account combination and any additional nights/spend at MR legacy brands. The $20K annual spend requirement will NOT apply if you complete 100 nights at SPG legacy brands through 12/31/2018.
  5. Through December 31st, 2018, one can qualify for Platinum Elite status through 25 stays at SPG legacy brands only.
  6. As of 8/18, Platinum Premier Elite status can be gained through 75 nights, regardless of completion of 75 nights exclusively at MR/SPG legacy brands or any combination of the two.
  7. Come January 1st, 2019, Platinum Elite-by-stays will be dead and Platinum Elite status will only be achieved via 50 nights at any of the 29 participating brands. Platinum Premier Elite will be achievable only through 75 nights at any of the 29 participating brands, and Platinum Premier Elite with Ambassador will only be achieved through 100 nights at any of the 29 participating brands in addition to the $20K annual spend.
Correct me if I'm wrong - hope that this simplified things going forward for those of us who aren't clear.

khabah

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.