Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Marriott LTPs should have gotten LTP - not LTPP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott LTPs should have gotten LTP - not LTPP

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by SHLTP
I worry I will no longer get better service on property where I am not known as a previous guest but should be recognized as a very loyal chain guest at the highest levels compared at least to a Marriott LTPE.
Let me start by pointing out, again, that I agree SPG LTP >750 should be LTPP in the new program, but...

Here is where the MR LTPs are not getting through to the SPG LTP >750. While I totally understand your concerns, what we keep trying to get across is that most of us have lived through being P, PP and LTP with the Marriott program and we know that despite having different names the levels are really indistinguishable, so in practice you will likely have nothing to worry about by not being LTPP. What we know is that PP has always been a meaningless title.

A few years back when I was PP the web page had a link where you could click to read the additional PP benefits. The page was empty except for the title "Platinum Premier Benefits." There is a thread where we joked about it at the time. We have no reason to think anything has changed. PP is a basically an empty title that allowed Marriott from having to combine the existing LTG and LTP MR members.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Thanks for that. If that is the case, then I am fine w the situation. I don't mind Marriott rewarding their loyal customers with extra bonus points or 48 hour guarantee.

What I wish Marriott would do... come out and say for upgrades etc that all plats are undistinguishable. That is was SPG did. A plat was a plat for upgrades on arrival regardless if earning by stays or nights. I never noticed a difference in terms of upgrades between plat 50, 75 and ambassador.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Let me start by pointing out, again, that I agree SPG LTP >750 should be LTPP in the new program, but...

Here is where the MR LTPs are not getting through to the SPG LTP >750. While I totally understand your concerns, what we keep trying to get across is that most of us have lived through being P, PP and LTP with the Marriott program and we know that despite having different names the levels are really indistinguishable, so in practice you will likely have nothing to worry about by not being LTPP. What we know is that PP has always been a meaningless title.

A few years back when I was PP the web page had a link where you could click to read the additional PP benefits. The page was empty except for the title "Platinum Premier Benefits." There is a thread where we joked about it at the time. We have no reason to think anything has changed. PP is a basically an empty title that allowed Marriott from having to combine the existing LTG and LTP MR members.
I think it's reasonable to expect that PP will be different post-8/1, now that the requirements and benefits are actually published (although IMO it isn't really a significant improvement on "regular" Platinum).
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GoPhils
I think it's reasonable to expect that PP will be different post-8/1, now that the requirements and benefits are actually published (although IMO it isn't really a significant improvement on "regular" Platinum).
Most people here would consider an unpublished status to be more special and exclusive. IMO the expectations are higher when it's invitation only.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Thanks for that. If that is the case, then I am fine w the situation. I don't mind Marriott rewarding their loyal customers with extra bonus points or 48 hour guarantee.

What I wish Marriott would do... come out and say for upgrades etc that all plats are undistinguishable. That is was SPG did. A plat was a plat for upgrades on arrival regardless if earning by stays or nights. I never noticed a difference in terms of upgrades between plat 50, 75 and ambassador.
For Marriott, there is a different code for PP than Plat. I suspect they'll keep those codes. At properties where the GM has trained the FD folks to understand and recognize the codes, they thank me for being a PP and proactively upgrade me to suites. At properties where they don't recognize the code and thank me for being a plat, they don't upgrade me without asking. Unless Marriott is changing its reservation system, we'll be P6, X4, and perhaps M0.

In the SPG world, what does the FD agent see that distinguishes between plat 50, plat 75, and ambassador?
Old Apr 30, 2018, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
For Marriott, there is a different code for PP than Plat. I suspect they'll keep those codes. At properties where the GM has trained the FD folks to understand and recognize the codes, they thank me for being a PP and proactively upgrade me to suites. At properties where they don't recognize the code and thank me for being a plat, they don't upgrade me without asking. Unless Marriott is changing its reservation system, we'll be P6, X4, and perhaps M0.

In the SPG world, what does the FD agent see that distinguishes between plat 50, plat 75, and ambassador?
My UG rate is actually pretty good. It might have actually gotten better when I went back to being P after several years at PP but I figure that is because I stay in Asian and strange US properties as opposed to big city Marriotts. I worried what would happen when I was busted back down to P and there is absolutely no difference other than a FD clerk no longer thanking me for being PP which rarely happened anyway.
Old May 1, 2018, 2:01 am
formerly fdemoulin

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Virgin Flying Club Red
My UG rate is actually pretty good. It might have actually gotten better when I went back to being P after several years at PP but I figure that is because I stay in Asian and strange US properties as opposed to big city Marriotts. I worried what would happen when I was busted back down to P and there is absolutely no difference other than a FD clerk no longer thanking me for being PP which rarely happened anyway.

i have previously mentioned that that I almost always get a suite upgrade even though I am never doing more than 50 nights annually, but these stays are always paid ( not points) and believe this could influence decisions. It also helps to be respectful to the check in agent. I have been so shocked to see some elite check in demanding their suite which they are entitled to. Once at SGS Bangkok I saw this awful man screaming down at the agent ‘what do I get for. Free’ and then he made such a scene when his entire family weren’t upgraded and given club benefits.it is a shame this minority spoils it for th3 rest of us as it putshotelsoffering elite benefits. I have also seen such behaviour noted on this forum. Back to original point, never felt the difference in treatment to plat 75 or ambassador treatment but just my 2 cents or am extremely lucky!
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old May 1, 2018, 3:53 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Wow, now I am wondering why I warrant the royal treatment? I always just assumed it was an Asian custom to do business that way. Mind you, although this primarily happens in Asian hotels often the managers are European, but I just figured they were following local norms. Is it my magnetic personality? Good looks? Wit? To get a good look in case I steal towels and they need to help a police sketch artist? This has happened at several SPG and Marriott properties in Bangkok (at least six different hotels), Pattaya, Bali, KL, Shanghai, Siam Reap and Singapore. Most of those years I was doing about 100 nights although one of those years I was over 150 because after rollover and losing some two year old nights I was 14 away from renewing Plat, although was LTP by then. My stays are everywhere from TPS to RC, but mostly SHS. FS and Ren so I wasn't spending a high amount.
Have you ever steal a towel or robe before? and have note in your account : beware ... towel thief!
The hotel I stay mostly is Luxury Collections and St Regises (couple of other brands as well like Sofitels). While the staff are polite and great ... I never have any GM introduce himself to me
The room I book is mixed .... I book suites in some of the stays ... and base room for the rest

I guess it maybe depends if you stand out among the local crowds or not
Old May 1, 2018, 4:05 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
While it would be welcomed by plenty of people (myself included) but then it not a very good idea to implement.
It will reduce the incentive for people to reach 75 as the extra benefit is not significant.

But then again the wording on the program website is the same for all Plt tiers ..... Enhanced upgrades based on availability including select suites
So member can take it as all three tiers will have same treatment

I mention before in one of the thread (forgot which one as there are plenty of them) if marriot want to differentiate the upgrade treatment, they might use different wording

say :
PLT : Complimentary upgrades based on availability including select suites
PLT P 75 : Enhanced upgrades based on availability including select suites
PLT P 100 : Priority upgrades based on availability including select suites

With all these wording, members could see clearly that plt 100 will have better priority than 75 and so on
Old May 1, 2018, 5:25 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Most people here would consider an unpublished status to be more special and exclusive. IMO the expectations are higher when it's invitation only.
There are at least 2 “real” advantages for PP over P - more points and the 48-hour guarantee. I think SPG’ers are underestimating the 48-hour guarantee - since it shows up online you don’t always know when you’re using it.

Keep in mind the “new” Platinum is essentially the old Gold, so while the difference between old Platinum and old Gold wasn’t necessarily extremely significant, there was a difference. The bigger question will probably be how much better is PP100 over PP (and of course PP100 isn’t a lifetime status).
Old May 1, 2018, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GoPhils

There are at least 2 “real” advantages for PP over P - more points and the 48-hour guarantee. I think SPG’ers are underestimating the 48-hour guarantee - since it shows up online you don’t always know when you’re using it.
How many times have you used it? SPG had a 72 hour one and I didn't use it once in 800+ nights. It's not like you can use these "guarantees" to get yourself a room at the Super Bowl, Final Four, etc.
Old May 1, 2018, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
How many times have you used it? SPG had a 72 hour one and I didn't use it once in 800+ nights. It's not like you can use these "guarantees" to get yourself a room at the Super Bowl, Final Four, etc.
I know I’ve used it at least twice, but I only noticed because I didn’t realize I wasn’t logged in (hotel doesn’t show while not logged in, then does when you are logged in). But like I said, I think a lot of times people use it without knowing. Maybe Marriott needs to do a better job of letting us know when we’re actually using it.

But “is PP really that much better than P” is really a completely different argument IMO. Just because the status may not be that spectacular, doesn’t make it any less odd that one set of people would be given that status while another set of people who essentially met the same requirements, would not (I don’t think LTPP should be stripped from MR members, but SPG members that met the requirements probably should have been eligible for it too).
Old May 1, 2018, 7:36 am

I've never ever once used the room guarantee at either SPG or Marriott and been highest tier at both. The closest i came was when I arrived at my normal hotel and when i went to check in they looke at me wondering why I was there. Oops, i forgot to make a reservation, and they were sold out. They didn't use the 48/72 guarantee since it was literally the same day. But since I stayed there about 4 nights/wk for 3 weeks/month, they gave me a room and bumped someone (unless there was a no-show). But that was just because I pretty much lived there. I mean, my suitcase was already there behind the front desk, so they just had to move it to my room (when I checked out for the weekend, I left a suitcase there every week and it would be ready in my room on my next reservation).
Old May 1, 2018, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
On average a couple times a year when a last minute trip puts me in a sold out city, including once in NYC where I wound up paying over $900 for a night in the East Side Marriott and once in Miami Beach in March where hotel manager called me and voluntarily lowered the rate to what everyone else was paying. Believe it or not I had to once use it in Pittsburgh at the downtown Ren, too. The website used to clearly, in red, show that it was a "Platinum Only" offer. The site no longer shows this.
Old May 1, 2018, 8:55 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I've tried to use the Platinum guarantee with SPG 7-8 times, but each time it results in a ridiculously high rate at 3-4 times the usual room rate. I simply book with another hotel. I'm often willing to pay a 10-20% premium to get into a Starriott property, but not 200%. I've yet to come across a good use of the benefit. SPG50 on the other hand I've used about 15-20 times - much more useful.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.