Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2018: Success, failure & discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Starwood Lurker
Signed-in FT members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost.

POSTING FORMAT

Hotel Name:
Arrival Date:
Departure Date:
Number of Rooms:
Number of Guests:
Room Type:
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate:
Competing Rate:
Competing Web Site:

Comments:

FAQ

What is the Best Rate Guarantee (BRG)?

If a lower rate at an SPG Hotel is made available on a non-SPG website or non-SPG mobile application, upon its receipt of a claim that satisfies these Best Rate Guarantee terms and conditions, SPG will honor that Competing Rate and provide the individual that submitted the valid claim one of the following rewards: (1) an additional 25% discount off the Competing Rate (20% for Design Hotels) per room per night (up to a maximum of three rooms); or (2) 2,000 Starwood Preferred Guest® Starpoints® per room per stay (up to a maximum of three rooms).

What should I do if my claim is successful?
  • Re-confirm your rate at check-in; normally the hotel will have the correct BRG rate in your reservation, but sometimes you will need to remind them.
  • If you choose points, they will be credited after the stay; check in one week to see if they have posted. If they have not posted, then contacted the BRG team to get it posted.
Are SPG benefits honored for BRG stays?

Yes. You should receive the same SPG elite member benefits and stay/night credit as for a normal paid stay.

How do I view my reservation after my BRG has been approved?
  • Click on your stays to view your current reservation.
  • Click on "Set Stay Preferences" link for the BRG reservation, then SAVE.
  • Refresh your stays page and the reservation should be visible again. You may need to repeat this step if the hotel touches your reservation. If you apply for Your24, you will not be able to view the reservation details.
How do I add a Suite Night Award (SNA) to a my BRG reservation?
  • Follow the steps as outlined under: How do I view my reservation after my BRG has been approved?
  • At the end of this process, you should be able to select "Apply SNA to this Stay" from within your stays page.
GUIDELINES FOR A SUCCESSFUL CLAIM

• You cannot BRG against a rate on a Starwood Website/App (hot escapes, promos, Gov. Rate etc.). It has to be a 3rd party website/App.

• The rate you submit the BRG against must be a rate that is available to the general public
• Cancellation/Deposit Policies and amenities must match on both websites to be valid

A valid Starwood website reservation is required to submit a BRG

• If a room category is available on an external website but not on Starwood, you may still make a claim. You still need to make a booking with Starwood using the next lowest category of room and must include the cancel/deposit polices and amenities you are wanting- if your claim is approved the room type in the booking will remain what is booked.

• Only one claim may be submitted per reservation number (If your first claim is denied, you may submit a new claim for that reservation if you find another lower rate after you receive the denial email)

• You must book and submit a claim for the room type, cancel policy, deposit policy and amenities you are comparing. If you a flexible rate on SPG.com, they will look for a flexible rate when processing your claim, even if a lower rate for non-cancellable is available.
• You cannot BRG with a flexible rate against a prepaid rate. All information must be the same on both websites and the claim will be denied.

• If your comparable rate includes extras like breakfast or parking, make sure there is a room available on spg.com that includes the exact amenities. If there is no room available with the same amenities, it will be denied.

• Room types must be the same for a BRG.

• If you are booking and comparing rates for a non-refundable booking, note that you are responsible for any and all charges including cancellation charges, even if the claim is not approved

• If you have an approved and finalized claim and you find an even cheaper rate later, then you may submit a new BRG claim that is not connected to any existing reservation. If this BRG claim is approved, you will need to make a new reservation on SPG.com. Once the process is completed, you will then email the BRG desk to cancel your first reservation, if it is within the cancellation deadline.

• The cancel policy of an approved claim will be the same as what was booked and approved. It will no longer default to flexible.

• If you find availability for the room type you want on a third party website/app but there is no availability for that room type on the Starwood Website, then this may be an approved claim if it meets all other terms and conditions. You will need to make sure that you specify the room type you actually want on the Starwood Website section and enter 0 in the rate and currency. This will ensure that the processing associates know that the room type you want is not available on the Starwood Website. You may also add additional comments near the end of the claim form indicating that there is no availability on the Starwood Website for that room type to help clarify.

• If you find availability on a third party website/app but there is no availability on the Starwood Website, then this claim cannot be submitted as you must have a valid reservation to submit a claim. If it is submitted somehow without a reservation, the claim will not be processed as a valid Starwood reservation is required.

• Per the FAQ, "Any questions regarding claims should be directed to [email protected] or call 1-866-500-0368." A human is available at this number beginning at 9am EST.

OTAs not eligible because they do not confirm instantly:
  • AsiaWeb
  • BestDay
  • Cancelon
  • Ctrip (Known as MyTrip from Dec 2017)
  • Elvoline
  • HappyRooms
  • Hoteling
  • Hotelreservierung.de (according to BRG team 5 Sept 2017)
  • HotelsClick (Some rates on request, some instant)
  • Ostrovok
  • Roomertravel
  • Laterooms (according to BRG team 24 Oct 2016)
  • Hotelius (according to BRG team 21 Sept 2017)
  • Zenhotels (according to BRG team 10 Nov 2017)
  • Travelbag (according to BRG team 22 Dec 2017)

Special Conditions for BRG & Design Hotels
  • You may only claim against the absolute lowest rate on SPG.com, for the date(s) in question.
  • The rate must be the lowest on sale on SPG.com, and is regardless of the type of room you actually want, the number of occupants, cancellation policy and the amenities provided. In all likelihood this will mean you have to use a rate for a standard room, for 1 person, non-refundable and without any amenities.
  • It is not necessary for the rate on the external website to match the SPG.com rate in any way including room type and number of occupants. The only requirement for a successful BRG claim is that the rate be lower than the lowest rate on SPG.com for the date(s) in question.
  • As with normal BRG claims, you need to make a booking before submitting a claim but it must be the lowest rate for the hotel and dates. Since this will likely be a non-refundable booking, note that you are responsible for any and all charges including cancellation charges, even if the claim is not approved.
  • Amenities are not included in the comparasin
  • You will retain the category of room booked on SPG.com, even if the external website rate submitted for the claim refers to a different category of room. This is especially pertinent in situations where the hotel continues to sell lower categories of rooms on other websites, while not making them available on SPG.com. You will then be able to book a higher category of room on SPG.com, BRG the lower rate, and retain the higher category of room while paying the lower rate.
  • If you need to BRG Design Hotels for Double or higher occupancy.
    • The BRG will be processed for a single occupant, even if the rate does not change for more than one occupant. You must book the actual number of occupants intended. Effectively, you can only BRG for single occupant unless double rate happens to be the same as single. It is not possible to BRG if double rate is higher than single. No modification to occupancy is allowed if BRG is approved. If you submit with single rate, you will be stuck with single room; if you submit with double rate and single rate is lower, it will be automatically denied irrespective of competing rates.

Differing currencies

Marriott may deny claims where the difference between the comparison rate and the Marriott rate is less than $1. Rate disparities primarily attributable to fluctuations and/or differences in currency exchange rates are excluded from the guarantee.

Link to T&C
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/bestrate/terms.html
Print Wikipost

SPG Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2018: Success, failure & discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
I am having a real hard time with a current BRG. Calculations which they have made are all over the place and I have had to spend the last thirty minutes writing step by step calculations to explain. Seems very strange as never encountered this before.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 6:34 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Temedar
Not exactly news, but waiting 70+ hours and counting on a German-language BRG claim.
Same here. My last German BRG took 137 hours. And I have one in the pipeline submitted 120 hours ago and still no response.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 9:00 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
Ah, I see. So basically, for a BRG to be reviewed, all one needs is a reservation for the hotel. Doesn't matter what room you're booked into. Correct?

I thought this was only used in the situation where the room you want to book is not available on SPG. I suppose this doesn't matter?
I booked a flex rate, BRG'ed it against a prepaid rate, and *Wood came back and told me that they had a lower rate (than the BRG rate) on SPG.com and that rate was a prepaid rate. Did I make mistake of not BRG'ing 3rd party rate LOWER than the SPG prepaid rate?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 1:26 am

Originally Posted by tripmaster
I booked a flex rate, BRG'ed it against a prepaid rate, and *Wood came back and told me that they had a lower rate (than the BRG rate) on SPG.com and that rate was a prepaid rate. Did I make mistake of not BRG'ing 3rd party rate LOWER than the SPG prepaid rate?
Regardless of cancellation policy, third party rate must be lower than lowest SPG rate for the same room.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:31 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
Hotel Name: Sheraton Senggigi Beach Resort
Arrival Date: February XX-2017
Departure Date: March XX-2017
Number of Rooms: 1
Number of Guests: 1
Room Type: Deluxe Room Garden View
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate: 884,559 IDR plus taxes&fees
Competing Room Provider: via Kayak
Competing Rate: 654,551.97 IDR plus taxes&fees
Actual confirmed rate: 490,913.98 IDR plus taxes&fees
Comments: Superior room was a few bucks cheaper but not available at Kayak at time of filing BRG claim.

In other non-news, my German BRG claim mentioned a few posts above is over 120 hours in processing and it seems I won't be using it anyway as the airfare I expected to buy is no longer available.

Last edited by Temedar; Jan 23, 2018 at 11:33 am Reason: Formatting
Old Jan 23, 2018, 2:10 pm

Denied by India

Associate, Best Rate Guarantee
Dear Mr. XXXXXXXX,
Thank you for your interest in the Starwood's Hotels & Resorts Best Rate Guarantee program. I am grateful for your support of our SPG program. I welcome the opportunity to assist you.
Please be advised that while processing your claim, my findings indicate that the rates and availability changed between the time you submitted your Best Rate Guarantee claim and our investigation process. When processing your claim for Aloft Bangkok Sukhumvit 11 for the dates on your claim, I was unable to locate availability on our website or the competing website. As there is no availability on either website, I am not able to approve your claim.
​​​​​​​
I replied quite bluntly as I’m sick of these ridiculous denials:
”What kind of scam are you trying to pull?
There is availability on both SPG and Amoma.

I will call and speak to a supervisor as you clearly are cheating the system.“

I called and spoke ton <name removed> in the US or Canada, the poor woman was losing her voice She took 3 minutes to look at the claim and confirm my successful BRG claim, she said she also saw my email reply and was apologetic for the error made.

I wish these BRG claims weren’t such a hassle.

​​​​​​​Success.
Aloft Bangkok
7th Feb, 1 Night
Rate: 4382 THB
Confirmed rate: 3567 THB
Double room
2000 bonus starpoints.
​​​​​​​
​​​​
happygolucky_nomad likes this.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Jan 23, 2018 at 2:58 pm Reason: Remove employee name, as per FT rules
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by Croupier

I called and spoke ton <name removed> in the US or Canada, the poor woman was losing her voice She took 3 minutes to look at the claim and confirm my successful BRG claim, she said she also saw my email reply and was apologetic for the error made.

Similarly, received a denial email saying cannot find any availability, called within the hour and was approved shortly. Really waste of time for the call centre and everybody.

Hotel Name: The Westin Wall Centre, Vancouver Airport
Arrival Date: June 2018
Departure Date: June 2018
Room Type: 1 Traditional Room with 2 adults
Actual confirmed rate: 120.35 CAD (160.46 less 25%) plus taxes per night

Glad that I make the effort to call as the deal was removed within a few hours after the call.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 1:54 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I tested bookings from different locations using a VPN and it seems that particular websites display different rates in different locations (Amoma is a frequent one especially with Secret Deals) and sometimes even no availability. So it’s basically the luck of the draw. If India can’t see it and you call and get someone in Canada who can, they’ll reprocess it and approve it. But if you call and get someone in the US and they can’t see if either, you’ll be denied.

If you submit it in another language, the call centre won’t be able to verify it so it’ll probably get passed back to the same location.

If you submit a claim for mobile / apps, you’ll need to be lucky when calling and hopefully get someone in the Canadian office where they process mobile claims. Most of them are working from home on desktops only.

Why can’t they use VPNs to verify rates? I know there’s something in the terms about it not being approved if only available for specific nationalities but that’s nothing to do with geographical location.

Good luck out there!
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: A3(*G), Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Croupier

Success.
Aloft Bangkok
7th Feb, 1 Night
Rate: 4382 THB
Confirmed rate: 3567 THB
Double room
2000 bonus starpoints.

​​​​
That's the exact same property I was denied on recently and at the same rate quoted! I posted earlier in the thread about how the lower rate was still clearly available on Amoma both during the FIVE DAY wait period for a response and in the days after my claim was refused. BRG is becoming a scam for refusing perfectly valid claims like this. Next time I will simply follow your example and ring the US-based hotline rather than accept denials which have no grounds.

They even had the nerve to quote the competing rate on Amoma as 8,500 THB before taxes! Can you imagine that? I think they just pulled that number out of you know where.

Last edited by yurtripper; Jan 24, 2018 at 9:36 am
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
Can you book a corporate rate (refundable until shortly before arrival) and then still send in a claim based on the lowest available rate?
The lowest available rate in this case is also refundable, but the cancellation period ends earlier.
Thanks.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:14 pm

Hotel Name: The Vagabond Club, A Tribute Portfolio Hotel, Singapore
Arrival Date: March 2018
Departure Date: March 2018 (1 night)
Number of Rooms: 1
Number of Guests: 1
Room Type: Classic, Non-Smoking
Starwood Brand Web Site Room Rate: 216 SGD prepaid inc taxes
Competing Room Provider: Agoda.com
Competing Rate: 155.36 SGD plus taxes and fees (207.15 less 25%)
Comments: Was eyeing the club room, but BRG’d the classic and have my fingers crossed for an upgrade!

Also, I keep forgetting to the clear the cache before I submit. Some of the lower prices I find seem to be targeted through my previous searches. I had BRG’d for 172.45 SGD all in.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 3:17 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by escape4
Same here. My last German BRG took 137 hours. And I have one in the pipeline submitted 120 hours ago and still no response.
So after my BRG that took 137 hours, the next one I referred to in my previous post ended up taking 148 hours. Next in line is now 153 hours and counting. It is clearly getting worse so perhaps I should change my language settings from German to English because if a BRG takes a full 6-7 days then it's not very useful.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 3:36 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, A3 Gold, Sixt Diamond
So after my BRG that took 137 hours, the next one I referred to in my previous post ended up taking 148 hours. Next in line is now 153 hours and counting. It is clearly getting worse so perhaps I should change my language settings from German to English because if a BRG takes a full 6-7 days then it's not very useful.
I did just that after calling the BRG team last night. They said their English response times were very low at the moment. I guess I'll see if that's true.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
The upside is German BRGs can’t be processed by India!
Keyser likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond AMB
So after my BRG that took 137 hours, the next one I referred to in my previous post ended up taking 148 hours. Next in line is now 153 hours and counting.
Mine was processed today with a response time about 160 hours. Not approved as the lower rate was, obviously, already gone. I'm definitely done with German BRGs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.