Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Multiple Room Credits

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2018, 3:54 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Originally Posted by somedude3210
This is the one real disappointment for me in the to-be-merged programs. It was the competitive advantage that swayed me into SPG and gave incentive to stay at Starwood properties for family vacations (needing 2-3 rooms), and when traveling with non-points collecting staff.
I agree this was actually a perk that incentivized me to stay with SPG on family vacations etc., however I assume that it has been deemed not working in increasing the aggregate number of multi-room stays. Who knows maybe MAR will reconsider further down the line ... as mentioned it is not the most expensive adjustment to a loyalty program, maybe in the next downturn in the business cycle. Fortunately I will soon relocate to a location with SPG/MR card .
Old May 29, 2018, 9:57 am

Programs: *A Gold, OWE
So this would be true, correct ?
" If, for instance, you were to stay with your family in three rooms at the Westin at LAX for two nights and put all the rooms on your SPG number and pay for all them, then you’d earn credit not only for all the points per dollar you spend on the rooms, but also for 6 nights and 3 stays."
Old May 29, 2018, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by TheAirman
So this would be true, correct ?
" If, for instance, you were to stay with your family in three rooms at the Westin at LAX for two nights and put all the rooms on your SPG number and pay for all them, then you’d earn credit not only for all the points per dollar you spend on the rooms, but also for 6 nights and 3 stays."
Yes, this is true. At least until August. Going forward, we are told you would get points for up to three rooms, but only night credit for your room (1). August is a long ways off so maybe MPG will rethink the fine details, but that's what they have said so far.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 3:57 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Just venting on one of the (many) "enhancements" Marriott brought:

I usually travel for work with 1-2 colleagues who usually don't care about points/status, but are quite happy to benefit from any perks due to my own status (breakfast, upgrades, lounge access). Whereas with SPG I would generally book 2-3 rooms under my name, get the points/stay credits and that's the end of it, Marriott abolishing this practice is changing my behaviour, at least for the next upcoming trip:

6x1 nights at different locations in the US. Mostly urban airport properties, under $200/night. I'm booking for each night adjacent Starriot and Hilton properties. I'll check in at Starriott, hand the keys to my colleague and then proceed to Hilton, where I currently have a Diamond Stauts Challenge going (8 stays in 3 months). Plus the 2.5k Miles & More promo for each stay. Laborious? Yes? But for an extra 20k pts and no extra EQNs, I didn't see the point in giving Marriott those measly $1,200 in revenue.

This may be a fringe case, but it's lost business for Marriott nonetheless. And there's always the risk I switch over to Hilton for a good chunk of my stays.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 10:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RafKa

I usually travel for work with 1-2 colleagues who usually don't care about points/status, but are quite happy to benefit from any perks due to my own status (breakfast, upgrades, lounge access). Whereas with SPG I would generally book 2-3 rooms under my name, get the points/stay credits and that's the end of it, Marriott abolishing this practice is changing my behaviour, at least for the next upcoming trip:

6x1 nights at different locations in the US. Mostly urban airport properties, under $200/night. I'm booking for each night adjacent Starriot and Hilton properties. I'll check in at Starriott, hand the keys to my colleague and then proceed to Hilton, where I currently have a Diamond Stauts Challenge going (8 stays in 3 months). Plus the 2.5k Miles & More promo for each stay. Laborious? Yes? But for an extra 20k pts and no extra EQNs, I didn't see the point in giving Marriott those measly $1,200 in revenue.

This may be a fringe case, but it's lost business for Marriott nonetheless. And there's always the risk I switch over to Hilton for a good chunk of my stays.
Isn't this close to fraud? You clearly have no intention of staying in some of these hotels, yet you're collecting not only points but also elite night credits in programs that award these only to guests who stay.

Also, IMO there's also an issue in getting status night credits under the old SPG program for rooms occupied by colleagues in that you weren't ultimately paying for those rooms either despite that being a condition for getting the points and elite nights for three rooms. This is not to suggest that Starwood could have detected the issue, but claiming credit for rooms occupied by colleagues and ultimately paid by your common employer is one of the reasons I was always against the SPG three rooms rule and very much in favor of Starriott's decision to adopt the MR rule on this.
RogerD408 likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 7:50 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Isn't this close to fraud? You clearly have no intention of staying in some of these hotels, yet you're collecting not only points but also elite night credits in programs that award these only to guests who stay.

Close to fraud... probably. I am fulfilling all the requirements of the T&Cs: I am physically checking in, my colleague is named as the second guest but I am not spending the night in the room. Is this any different to a mattress run? Unless there's a requirement to spend x hours in the room, I don't see how I am defrauding the property.

Also, IMO there's also an issue in getting status night credits under the old SPG program for rooms occupied by colleagues in that you weren't ultimately paying for those rooms either despite that being a condition for getting the points and elite nights for three rooms. This is not to suggest that Starwood could have detected the issue, but claiming credit for rooms occupied by colleagues and ultimately paid by your common employer is one of the reasons I was always against the SPG three rooms rule and very much in favor of Starriott's decision to adopt the MR rule on this.
I work for a small company, and we don't have a travel booking department, corp rates or corporate credit cards: I usually book both rooms under my name, and pay for the whole bill with my own credit card, and then my employer reimburses me. It appears from your reasoning that any business-related stays should not earn any credit, because ultimately it will be reimbursed by the guest's employer/client.

Anyway, my whole point was: people used to choose SPG when they had to book 2-3 rooms, whether for family members or colleagues because they would get the extra credit. Now that Marriott eliminated that benefit, there is less of an incentive to use Marriott vs the competition. If it does turn out that upgrades are becoming more infrequent, then there will be no real difference between Starriot and Hilton or Hyatt.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:38 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit

If the Marriott elite member is paying for a room, physically checks in, then leaves and nobody sleeps in the room, do you also consider this "close to fraud"?

Assuming your answer is no, what is the difference from the hotel's perspective between nobody sleeping in the room or a friend or relative sleeping there? I thought the requirement was for the member to physically check in, not for the member to sleep there. Otherwise you can get into arguments... what if the guest naps only 15 minutes?

I can see your argument regarding free breakfast or lounge access for the friend or relative, but how about just the room itself? Even for free breakfast, the guest could very well join the friend for breakfast even if the guest did not sleep there, so forcing the guest to join the friend for breakfast might not even benefit the hotel relative to only the friend having breakfast.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by RafKa

This isn't even close to being on the right side of the T&Cs that say you must stay & pay, checking in is not a stay (although those gaming the system will say it is). Paying for co-workers might be arguable, so it's closer to the line, but not unless you are staying at the property.

AND, posting this activity on an open forum where you know the program is actively participating is not wise. MR has a reputation for dropping the hammer on members when they feel you haven't been playing fair. And guess what, that is fully in their rights to FIRE a customer.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408
AND, posting this activity on an open forum where you know the program is actively participating is not wise. MR has a reputation for dropping the hammer on members when they feel you haven't been playing fair. And guess what, that is fully in their rights to FIRE a customer.
I would hope MR has bigger fish to fry than firing a customer who spends thousands of $$$ a year at its properties - especially with the merger debacle - over a free breakfast or two.

Yes, that is gaming the system. But so are mattress runs, manufactured spending on cc, and until recently, Rewarding Events. You could argue that tax avoidance for the super-rich and large corporations also constitutes "gaming the system", or do you actually think Apple Computer really have a headquarters in Luxembourg, or Dublin? Loopholes exist until they're closed, so until they install a fingerprint reader by the bedside which I must press every 15 mins I can do as I please, so long as I'm within the T&Cs (and showing up at check in, and paying the bill myself certainly qualify).

Marriott has closed a loophole with multiple credit, and from my perspective it'll cost them around $5k in business. If they fire me as a customer, that'll be another $10k or gone. It may be a drop in the ocean, but it makes little business sense.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:34 am

This isn't even close to being on the right side of the T&Cs that say you must stay & pay, checking in is not a stay (although those gaming the system will say it is).
What exactly is the definition of "stay"? I thought they require physical check-in, but not much beyond that otherwise it would get hairy. I do not think there is a requirement for how long you stay in the room.

I have never done this myself so I never had any reason to ask, but my assumption was that if I asked the hotel whether they are ok with me checking in and letting someone sleep there, they would have no objection. Sounds like you disagree and that the hotel would clearly object.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by escape4
What exactly is the definition of "stay"? I thought they require physical check-in, but not much beyond that otherwise it would get hairy. I do not think there is a requirement for how long you stay in the room.

I have never done this myself so I never had any reason to ask, but my assumption was that if I asked the hotel whether they are ok with me checking in and letting someone sleep there, they would have no objection. Sounds like you disagree and that the hotel would clearly object.
I am totally against properties doing bed checks at 2am! The spirit of the program is that the member will be spending the night (yes, a flawed concept) and that is why they generally don't allow you to check in to multiple properties for the same night and you have to fight when it might be legitimate (eg international trips crossing the date line is a fight since the computer doesn't handle it). Hence why the OP is going to Hilton for his own room. There are some big holes in the program, and that includes their ability to cancel an account at their whim. I once tangled with an onry CSR (not SPG) that repeatedly reversed any corrections to her mistake. I got an agent that knew it was wrong and ended up gifting me the award without any reference to the error. You never know when one will set their sites on your account. Taunting them on forums like FT is not wise.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:24 am

I am totally against properties doing bed checks at 2am! The spirit of the program is that the member will be spending the night (yes, a flawed concept) and that is why they generally don't allow you to check in to multiple properties for the same night and you have to fight when it might be legitimate
I think for 99.9% of cases yes spending the night is exactly what happens. But sometimes there are unusual situations that pop up, and if in your experience they can be intolerant at times, then one more reason to contact them ahead of time and ask. I don't think the intent is taunting, but rather doing something the guest considers reasonable but wanting to make sure it's reasonable in Marriott's mind as well.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by escape4
I think for 99.9% of cases yes spending the night is exactly what happens. But sometimes there are unusual situations that pop up, and if in your experience they can be intolerant at times, then one more reason to contact them ahead of time and ask. I don't think the intent is taunting, but rather doing something the guest considers reasonable but wanting to make sure it's reasonable in Marriott's mind as well.
I am totally against properties doing bed checks at 2am! The spirit of the program is that the member will be spending the night (yes, a flawed concept) and that is why they generally don't allow you to check in to multiple properties for the same night and you have to fight when it might be legitimate (eg international trips crossing the date line is a fight since the computer doesn't handle it). Hence why the OP is going to Hilton for his own room. There are some big holes in the program, and that includes their ability to cancel an account at their whim. I once tangled with an onry CSR (not SPG) that repeatedly reversed any corrections to her mistake. I got an agent that knew it was wrong and ended up gifting me the award without any reference to the error. You never know when one will set their sites on your account. Taunting them on forums like FT is not wise.
You cut my quote off short that says, yes, there are exceptions. But calling MR and saying "Hey I know someone that wants to stay at one of your properties but they are not a member and I won't be staying but want credit for their stay" is not going to be greeted with acceptance. I may be wrong, but I would be surprised if MR said yes to that.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ac/elite
This is extremely bad news for me too and it doesn’t seem to make a lot of business sense. Last year I had around 120 nights, many of those earned with multiple rooms where I paid for my employees’ rooms. Starwood got revenue for 100+ room nights and I got my status. With the new rules, I likely would barely make 50 nights. However, I don’t need to make 50 nights as I’m LTP and there are no additional benefits for doing so. So, if there’s no likelihood of me getting any benefits beyond basic platinum as I won’t reach elevated status, I’ll now look at rates more closely and choose the 3.5-4 star hotel for all of us with the best rates and often those won’t be Starriott. Sure, I won’t get my platinum benefits when staying elsewhere, but I don’t really care about them when I’m on business with staff. I care about them when I’m on vacation, most often using points. So, I’ll continue to earn lots of points on my credit card, use them for vacation travel and Starriott will very likely lose over 75 paid nights from me. Way to disincentivize your customers!
I’m sure that I’m far from the only one in this situation.
Just as a follow up to my post from a few months ago, Marriott has now already lost 21 room nights that I would have booked with them (3 rooms x 7 nights) this month. Found a cheaper rate at a Hilton than the Sheraton we usually stay at so my staff and I will be staying there. Was I to get credit for all 3 rooms, we'd be at the Sheraton. Really not sure how this makes good business sense for Marriott.
RafKa likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2018, 12:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ac/elite
Just as a follow up to my post from a few months ago, Marriott has now already lost 21 room nights that I would have booked with them (3 rooms x 7 nights) this month. Found a cheaper rate at a Hilton than the Sheraton we usually stay at so my staff and I will be staying there. Was I to get credit for all 3 rooms, we'd be at the Sheraton. Really not sure how this makes good business sense for Marriott.
I'm not sure how it makes good business sense for your company for you to stay at Sheratons despite the higher prices in order to get elite credit for three rooms but then be eager to switch to Hiltons when you can only get elite credit for three rooms over there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.