Wiki Posts
Search

Beware of the Westin St. John

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2016, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: HH Diamond, Starwood Platinum
Beware of the Westin St. John

I recently returned from a 5 night stay at Westin St. John. I booked on points and that was a big mistake because they could care less about a customer using points. I thought it was just me until I noticed a trend on Tripadvisor about other reports that reiterated the same thing.
The worst part about my experience minus the fact they put us in a room with no balcony or patio even though that was stated on my confirmation, was that I returned with bed bug bites on my arm and neck. At first I thought a mosquito had a party until I realized what exactly they were. I immediately called the Westin St. John, reported the problem and asked them to check out the room I stayed in. The CSR said she would have the manager call me back. I have yet to hear anything from anyone.
Any advice on how to proceed?
Old Feb 7, 2016, 11:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Tmpy
I recently returned from a 5 night stay at Westin St. John. I booked on points and that was a big mistake because they could care less about a customer using points. I thought it was just me until I noticed a trend on Tripadvisor about other reports that reiterated the same thing.
The worst part about my experience minus the fact they put us in a room with no balcony or patio even though that was stated on my confirmation, was that I returned with bed bug bites on my arm and neck. At first I thought a mosquito had a party until I realized what exactly they were. I immediately called the Westin St. John, reported the problem and asked them to check out the room I stayed in. The CSR said she would have the manager call me back. I have yet to hear anything from anyone.
Westin St. John, USVI 2007 - present [Master Thread]

Call CCS and pray you didn't bring any back!
Old Feb 7, 2016, 11:46 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: SPG
Thank you for reaching out.

We're sorry to hear about this and we would like you to know that we take matters like this very seriously.

If you could send us an email to [email protected] with your stay information and SPG details, we will follow up with the hotel's management team to take additional steps in this matter.

Alternatively, you can connect with our Corporate Customer Service team via phone at 1-800-328-6242 and one of our Customer service representatives will also assist you with this.

Best Regards,

Starwood Lurker IV
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide
[email protected]
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Thank you!

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker IV
Thank you for reaching out.

We're sorry to hear about this and we would like you to know that we take matters like this very seriously.

If you could send us an email to [email protected] with your stay information and SPG details, we will follow up with the hotel's management team to take additional steps in this matter.

Alternatively, you can connect with our Corporate Customer Service team via phone at 1-800-328-6242 and one of our Customer service representatives will also assist you with this.

Best Regards,

Starwood Lurker IV
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide
[email protected]
Thank you Lurker, an email has been sent.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 1:00 pm

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
Westin St. John

Originally Posted by Tmpy
WOW! I had a totally different experience on a 10 night point stay in January. Great Platinum recognition a very outstanding caring staff lead by Mr. Ryan, GM. I look forward to returning again next January.

Last edited by 360guy; Feb 7, 2016 at 1:04 pm Reason: spelling error
Old Feb 7, 2016, 1:18 pm

Programs: SVO - WKORV, WPORV, WKV, WSJ
We have gone to WSJ for 2 weeks every year since 2006 (2Bd/3Ba Townhouse TS owner at Virgin Grand Villas - resale) - and often hear people mistaking noseesum bites (sand gnats) for bedbugs. Since apparently they only think of mosquitoes and not noseesums which have much more painful bites (show up next day).

ST John and WSJ is not for everyone (actually many people). 'Adapt' is a useful adage for the USVI.

They are removing the hotel rooms and converting to Timeshare ownerships - the hotel rooms are old and dated - plus do not have amenities of the timeshare villas.

To each their own, but for 10 years now we have had nothing but great experiences while on StJ and at WSJ - and have nothing but positive interactions with the staff. But, we are also low maintenance folks and understand that 'Go Slow' is a great way to vacation.
YMMV and likely does. We look forward to our next visit.
Old Feb 7, 2016, 5:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bluztuzumab
We have gone to WSJ for 2 weeks every year since 2006 (2Bd/3Ba Townhouse TS owner at Virgin Grand Villas - resale) - and often hear people mistaking noseesum bites (sand gnats) for bedbugs. Since apparently they only think of mosquitoes and not noseesums which have much more painful bites (show up next day).

ST John and WSJ is not for everyone (actually many people). 'Adapt' is a useful adage for the USVI.

They are removing the hotel rooms and converting to Timeshare ownerships - the hotel rooms are old and dated - plus do not have amenities of the timeshare villas.

To each their own, but for 10 years now we have had nothing but great experiences while on StJ and at WSJ - and have nothing but positive interactions with the staff. But, we are also low maintenance folks and understand that 'Go Slow' is a great way to vacation.
YMMV and likely does. We look forward to our next visit.
Actually these bites showed up 2 days later. This wasn't a hotel room it was a renovated villa. I've been going to St. John for many years as well and never had an experience like the last one. We are low maintenance too and easily adapt to many situations. We love St. John and I will definitely go back but I don't think I'd go back to the Westin.

I'm very concerned that someone else might be in that room and want them to rectify the problem.

Last edited by Tmpy; Feb 7, 2016 at 5:32 pm Reason: didn't put in info

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.