Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Make your SPG account more secure, receive bonus Starpoints.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Make your SPG account more secure, receive bonus Starpoints.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2015 | 2:19 pm
15 Years on Site

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, ITA Elite+, Cathay S, Singapore S, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Done.

After completing this, it then says :

What does this mean ?
I had the same!
Old Oct 9, 2015 | 3:05 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, HHonors Diamond, DL Diamond Medallion
Actually the questions are ok and interesting. Favorite airline, country, SPG brand etc...
Some of them are crazy to me but maybe helpful for somebody else.
Old Oct 9, 2015 | 3:12 pm

Got this email immediately after submitting answers to 4 new security questions

We noticed a number of unsuccessful attempts to access your account through Personalized Voice Assist. To prevent unauthorized usage, we have restricted access to this service. To lift the restriction, please log in to your SPG account and update your PIN, or ask a Member Service Associate to email you a new temporary PIN.
Old Oct 9, 2015 | 3:35 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Plat, SPG & Marriott Gold, CC Silver
Wow, it's like nobody here has ever considered that you can say anything you want to these questions. It doesn't have to be true - no one knows but you. Pick something memorable and easy.

It might be easier to remember that your "favorite food" is durian if it's not!
Old Oct 9, 2015 | 5:30 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
I followed the link on page 1, answered the questions and noticed the following email, no mention of any points.

"We noticed that the web security (password and/or security questions) associated with your SPG® profile has been updated. If you made this update, you don't need to do anything more. If you didn't make this change, please contact your nearest SPG Customer Contact Center as soon as possible.

Starwood Hotels & Resorts, Inc., upholds the highest business standards and practices to secure customer information. Please contact us if you have any questions.
Old Oct 9, 2015 | 5:42 pm

Just updated my account, my wife's and my mom's. Will transfer all bonus points into my primary account once posted: 450 total.

According to the initial post, these should be deposited by end of Nov? I didn't receive any indication or acknowledgement that I'd be receiving points after updating the profiles. Hope it gets fulfilled.
Old Oct 10, 2015 | 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
10 Countries Visited20 Countries Visited30 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i agree with the others....the list of questions is not the best....
Old Oct 10, 2015 | 4:53 am
40 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

I have a feeling that (if they are in fact smart enough) SPG would be using the answers to profile customers and do cross marketing.

For example, if the member's favourite city is X, SPG could offer special deals for hotels in X for the particular member.

What annoys me is, after submitting answers to the questions, I received an email from both SPG and Emirates Skywards that my linkage between the two schemes is now broken... and I now need to relink them!

Clearly the bugs haven't been ironed out properly!
Old Oct 10, 2015 | 5:11 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy
10 Countries Visited15 Years on Site

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by carrotjuice
I have a feeling that (if they are in fact smart enough) SPG would be using the answers to profile customers and do cross marketing.

For example, if the member's favourite city is X, SPG could offer special deals for hotels in X for the particular member.
It's a nice idea, but an absolute no-no to use security data in this way.

If I ever see a marketing message for the Sheraton Buthole, they're rumbled.
Old Oct 10, 2015 | 5:28 am
20 Years on Site

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I could not find four questions to answer that I could be confident of knowing my response a month from now. It's a lot easier to answer questions that are factual and the response is not a function of my mood at the time.
Same here. And as having "security questions" at all is very uncommon where I live I really do not like this jumping through (additional) hoops when just making a simple award booking.

For this I decided just not to complete the new questions as I will most likely be asked that question I just cannot remember the answer...and will stick with the phone-password for the time being.

Greetings - Dirk
Old Oct 10, 2015 | 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
It's a nice idea, but an absolute no-no to use security data in this way.
No-no as in bad practice? Violation of law? (If so, in what countries?) Violation of SPG T&Cs or of Starwood's declared data policy?
Old Oct 10, 2015 | 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
No-no as in bad practice? Violation of law? (If so, in what countries?) Violation of SPG T&Cs or of Starwood's declared data policy?
Most definitely bad practice. Using security info to leverage marketing programs shows lack of concern for security as that data should not be disclosed for anything other than account security. Was it the early days of SPG where your account password was shown in clear text to the phone agents (for verification purposes of course). Just bad practice.

I remember back when the company had AMEX corporate cards issued to everyone. We were told up front they would be using the data to determine where they should be negotiating for better discounts. I threatened to use mine at Liquor Barn and Pink Poodle, that's where I wanted discounts!!! Never did, actually never used their card.
Old Oct 10, 2015 | 7:47 am

Programs: AA, UA, DL, UR, IHG platnium, AirAsia
So I logged into my account and reach the security questions page, but it doesn't indicate anywhere on the page that I will earn 150 SPG points? Is there a specific link that I must click through?
Old Oct 10, 2015 | 8:30 am

Originally Posted by carrotjuice

They'll have a hard time doing that with me. No SPG properties within several hundred miles of my favorite city.

Last edited by 466SHH; Oct 10, 2015 at 12:37 pm Reason: typo
Old Oct 10, 2015 | 10:07 am

Starwood Lurker IV are the answers seriously case-sensitive, too?

Can i delete my answers/participation in this? Not trolling!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.