Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

SPG Green Choice: Have All Stay Nights or Not Allowed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG Green Choice: Have All Stay Nights or Not Allowed

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2015, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Terminal6
Thanks to Mahasamatman and Stellarlight,

Does anyone else have experience of a Starwood Hotel telling you that you cannot MAGC on the days you choose within your stay?

If so, what happened regarding points end....

I've stayed here twice, the last time being about 2 years ago. I don't remember the details of the MAGC programme here but I remember that certain rates are discounted because they come with no housekeeping. A mix-up perhaps?

Also, I seem to recall something about there being a maximum number of days of MAGC before they require you to have a full service (to keep the place in order).

Sorry I can't offer you anything concrete but good luck!
Old Sep 6, 2015, 11:54 pm

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Terminal6
Hello fellow SPG members,

Had a shock today regarding SPG Green Choice at the Sheraton Vistana Resort in Orlando.
It's most likely due to this being a villa (ie Starwood timeshare) property.

At their villa properties, housekeeping (like Plat benefits) often work very differently than at Starwood's regular properties. One key difference: many rates and stay types at Starwood's villas only get one "mid week" housekeeping service.

Even if you were supposed to receive daily service, the front desk agents could well have been confused. I'd bet that the vast majority of stays at Vistana are either timeshare stays (one service per week) or timeshare promo stays through SVN (many of which only get one per week).

Or it could just be that the villas operate totally differently when it comes to MAGC, as they tend to follow different rules for many things.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, SPG Platinum
Hey travelswithmyself & FlyerJ,

Thank you for your replies.

Just to confirm check in agent knew we had daily housekeeping, and also offered me the welcome starpoints amenity. So they seemed clued up on how the system works.

Like I said, I stayed here in 2012 where the green points system was the same as being at a regular Starwood hotel. 500 starpoints per day that you decline housekeeping, except check out day. Last year I stayed at the Westin Villa properties in Arizona and California, where the regular green points system was in effect as well. You could decline housekeeping for whichever days suited you, and get the green points.

Would I like the starpoints for missing a couple of days cleaning? Sure I would.

But the bigger picture, is that Starwood members who stay here will probably need to choose to have room cleaning everyday, which obviously wastes resources, money and energy which could have been saved. I though that was the purpose of the Green Choice Programme!
Old Sep 7, 2015, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
When MAGC was first started it specified only three days at a time. This was purported to allow the property to check the condition of the room to make sure you haven't shredded the mattress or something like that (thank you rock stars). The program was pretty much silently changed a year or so ago to provide more flexibility by the properties (and the Asian properties to offer fewer points). As I read it now, they are allowed to amend the time frame however they like. So I suspect you will not get much help from SPG. I would suggest a personal chat with a manager and explain your needs. You should be able to at least get fresh towels when needed without opting out of the program.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 5:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by RogerD408
When MAGC was first started it specified only three days at a time.
And I can only remember once in all that time that I've ever had that enforced.

You should be able to at least get fresh towels when needed without opting out of the program.
I completely disagree, because this defeats 90% of the stated purpose of the MaGC program.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
And I can only remember once in all that time that I've ever had that enforced.
I have, many times in the early days. As with a lot of things SPG, YMMV.

I completely disagree, because this defeats 90% of the purpose of the MaGC program.
Not at all. Swapping out a few towels once or twice during a long stay is a minuscule portion of the program. And it's been encouraged by the Lurkers, in addition to getting more toiletries or waters. I can think of many instances where it would be to everyone's benefit to swap towels, both guest and property.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 10:04 pm

I have, many times in the early days. As with a lot of things SPG, YMMV.

Not at all. Swapping out a few towels once or twice during a long stay is a minuscule portion of the program. And it's been encouraged by the Lurkers, in addition to getting more toiletries or waters. I can think of many instances where it would be to everyone's benefit to swap towels, both guest and property.
Just stayed at a Westin and was told 3 consecutive days max, then they need to come into the room and clean. However, if I needed new toiletries such as soap, shampoo, towels, water, bathrobes, I can call service express ^^^
Old Sep 8, 2015, 5:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I wonder if this is related to the newish checkbox for MAGC when making a reservation on SPG.com.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:08 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by myperks
Just stayed at a Westin and was told 3 consecutive days max, then they need to come into the room and clean. However, if I needed new toiletries such as soap, shampoo, towels, water, bathrobes, I can call service express ^^^
I've had the same happen at different Sheratons - each time I've been told it's been a recent change that you get 3 days on, a cleaning day off, and then can do another 3 days.

Most recently this happened at the Sheraton Chicago Hotels and Towers, in March - so it's not an old issue. I'd actually asked for them to remove old food garbage from my room (and not do anything else) on the 5th day, to keep the room clean - and was told they would have to entirely cancel my MAGC for my stay, as housekeeping is not permitted to enter the room.

After talking to an agent and a manager, I confirmed with them that the only way to keep my MAGC was to simply leave a bag of garbage in the hallway, so that someone could come by and pick it up - and housekeeping wouldn't need to enter the room.

<shrug> I gave up trying to figure out MAGC long ago, like with other SPG policies.

I've also had a few places that came in to clean on the 3rd day, but still give me points.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:11 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I wonder if this is related to the newish checkbox for MAGC when making a reservation on SPG.com.
That has been there since at least February, when setting your stay preferences. However I was told at the Sheraton Lincoln Harbour that it only indicates that you may want to participate in MAGC.

I had my room cleaned on the first day, and when I mentioned it to them they said that only telling the front desk directly or using the door knocker applies.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 11:20 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Absolute
I was told at the Sheraton Lincoln Harbour that it only indicates that you may want to participate in MAGC.
Doesn't make any sense. Isn't that the case if that checkbox was not checked?!

It clearly says that you will be participating in MAGC if selected.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.