FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest-429/)
-   -   SPG Green Choice: Have All Stay Nights or Not Allowed (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starwood-starwood-preferred-guest/1708150-spg-green-choice-have-all-stay-nights-not-allowed.html)

Terminal6 Sep 6, 2015 9:14 pm

SPG Green Choice: Have All Stay Nights or Not Allowed

Hello fellow SPG members,

Had a shock today regarding SPG Green Choice at the Sheraton Vistana Resort in Orlando. I'm staying for 5 nights and wanted to do the green choice for a couple of the days that I'm here. At check in, I was told that green choice is only an 'all or nothing' option. So you can have housekeeping everyday, or cancel it completely! Stayed here in 2012, and the rules were different.

Having stayed at various Starwood properties in the last few weeks, this was never an issue. Even staying at the Westin Kierland Villas in Arizona (another SVO property) this was never a rule that was imposed.

Who needs housekeeping everyday? But then, who wants to cancel it for the duration of your stay? This seems like a crazy situation, where going green is no longer a realistic option to be achieved, as the programme was created for.

Anyone else have any experience of this rule change? Is this the new norm for green choice?

Thanks for your help in advance,

T6

mahasamatman Sep 6, 2015 9:17 pm

Welcome to FT, Terminal6!

Originally Posted by Terminal6 (Post 25386525)
Is this the new norm for green choice?

Definitely not. As with any promo, there are always rogue properties that will do whatever they please to the detriment of the customer.

Terminal6 Sep 6, 2015 9:20 pm

Hey mahasamatman,

So any idea why this property have changed their policy? Apart from local money making!

Is this against SPG rules? Worth fighting?

stellarlight Sep 6, 2015 9:24 pm

I am always under the impression that MAGC is your choice on a daily basis and have never had any issue except starpoints not posting. Has OP contacted corporate customer service to file a complaint?

mahasamatman Sep 6, 2015 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by Terminal6 (Post 25386542)
Is this against SPG rules? Worth fighting?

Since SPG doesn't publsh their internal rules, I don't think we'll ever know if it's against the rules or not. You could try asking one of the lurkers or Corporate Customer Care, but if it's considered proprietary information, they won't be able to help on that front. As to whether it's worth fighting, that's a decision you'll have to make.

Terminal6 Sep 6, 2015 9:30 pm

Hey Stellarlight,

Haven't contacted corporate customer support, I wanted to get your opinions first, before kicking off at the property. All employees here are on the same page regarding this rule, from the check in agents to the service express phone operator.

I was hoping a Starwood Lurker would help out, but it is Labor Day weekend. So any help is much appreciated.

So Stellarlight, you think the property is wrong with their rule?

Terminal6 Sep 6, 2015 9:34 pm

Hey Mahasamatman,

I do think it is worth fighting, because I believe this property and their management are fundamentally wrong in this rule regarding Green Chioce.

There are bigger things in the world to object to, but in the world of SPG they are wrong!

mahasamatman Sep 6, 2015 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by Terminal6 (Post 25386586)
I do think it is worth fighting, because I believe this property and their management are fundamentally wrong in this rule regarding Green Chioce.

Then by all means, contact Customer Care and the lurkers. I believe they're wrong as well.

stellarlight Sep 6, 2015 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Terminal6 (Post 25386571)
Hey Stellarlight,

Haven't contacted corporate customer support, I wanted to get your opinions first, before kicking off at the property. All employees here are on the same page regarding this rule, from the check in agents to the service express phone operator.

I was hoping a Starwood Lurker would help out, but it is Labor Day weekend. So any help is much appreciated.

So Stellarlight, you think the property is wrong with their rule?

I find this page on their site:

http://starwoodworldwide.custhelp.co...a-green-choice

It does say the max number of nights for MAGC is determined by the property. However it also indicates any green choice is for a single day except the day of departure. So IMHO the property is not precisely following the rules at least. A violation? Probably.

Terminal6 Sep 6, 2015 9:39 pm

Thanks Mahasamatman,

First time doing this. Should I contact the lurkers, or will they find me from this thread?

Thanks again for all your help!

Terminal6 Sep 6, 2015 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by stellarlight (Post 25386599)
I find this page on their site:

http://starwoodworldwide.custhelp.co...a-green-choice

It does say the max number of nights for MAGC is determined by the property. However it also indicates any green choice is for a single day except the day of departure. So IMHO the property is not precisely following the rules at least. A violation? Probably.

Thanks Stellarlight,

I will use this in my argument with the property when it happens.

Thanks again!

mahasamatman Sep 6, 2015 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Terminal6 (Post 25386604)
Should I contact the lurkers, or will they find me from this thread?

They may find the thread, but they can't be everywhere, so it's probably better if you send private messages or email.

Terminal6 Sep 6, 2015 9:57 pm

Thanks again Mahasamatman,

Is William still the best lurker to contact. Who's the most active or helpful?

Again, many thanks!

mahasamatman Sep 6, 2015 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Terminal6 (Post 25386653)
Is William still the best lurker to contact. Who's the most active or helpful?

William is the most active, but any of them should be able to help. I believe the spgchampion address goes to all of them, and you can PM to more than one as well.

Terminal6 Sep 6, 2015 11:22 pm

Thanks to Mahasamatman and Stellarlight,

Does anyone else have experience of a Starwood Hotel telling you that you cannot MAGC on the days you choose within your stay?

If so, what happened regarding points end....