Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

St. Regis Maldives Vommuli Resort [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by tylerc
Hopefully it is towards the end of the day, as our flight isn't until 23:55!
Tyler I hope you are having an amazing time and look forward to hearing more about your experience once you have some time to share. Fingers crossed you get a late flight back to Male airport.
Old Dec 2, 2016, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by some dude
I stayed at the Hotel Octave last time I was in the Maldives 2 years ago, but I am opting for the Crystal Beach Inn this time.

Octave was definitely reasonable for one night -- clean, decent breakfast, reliable transport to/from the airport -- but I am still opting for the Crystal Beach Inn this time for one main reason, Octave is in Male, and Crystal Beach Inn is on Hulhumale, the same island as the airport.

Compare:
Airport -> Walk -> Ferry -> Car -> Octave -> Car -> Public Ferry -> Walk -> Bentley/Car/SUV -> Seaplane Terminal
Total time: One hour each way
Transfers: 9

Airport -> Bentley/Car/SUV -> Crystal Beach Inn -> Bentley/Car/SUV -> Seaplane Terminal
Total time: 15 minutes each way
Tranfers: 4

Yes, the 'Airport Butler' and the overnight's hotel staff will help, but it's still an extra hassle dealing with going to the main island.

If you'd like to actually spend time walking around Male, I suppose there might be a reason to deal with all of that hassle, but if it's just "I'd like to sleep and then be on my way", I don't see the point.

I'll be landing at Male in the late evening, and I'd certainly rather not add an extra hour of travel time, just so I can head to the Sealplane terminal first thing in the morning.
I don't believe the StR vehicles will take you to and from the hotel, only to and from the seaplane checkin at the main terminal to the seaplane terminal itself. We used the Crystal Beach Inn shuttle, and then StR took us to the seaplane in the SUV once we arrived back at the airport.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 7:28 am

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
I don't believe the StR vehicles will take you to and from the hotel, only to and from the seaplane checkin at the main terminal to the seaplane terminal itself. We used the Crystal Beach Inn shuttle, and then StR took us to the seaplane in the SUV once we arrived back at the airport.
I said "Bentley/Car/SUV" in those spots because it could be provided by either the StR or the Crystal Beach, since it is on the same island. That wouldn't be possible if you are staying on Male.

My experience in the past is that the resorts coordinate closely with the local hotels, and that it's possible that either/or might provide that transport depending on the discretion of the two properties. I could imagine scenarios where the Crystal Beach brought you directly to the seaplane terminal. I could also imagine scenarios where the St Regis transported you to or from the hotel.

I think if you expect most of the vehicle rides to be from the Hotel, and some of them from the resort, you will probably get what you expect. I also think that if you are staying in a suite for $10,000 a night and insist on the St Regis transport for all rides, they will make accommodations for you.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 10:36 am

I stayed at the Hotel Octave last time I was in the Maldives 2 years ago, but I am opting for the Crystal Beach Inn this time.

Octave was definitely reasonable for one night -- clean, decent breakfast, reliable transport to/from the airport -- but I am still opting for the Crystal Beach Inn this time for one main reason, Octave is in Male, and Crystal Beach Inn is on Hulhumale, the same island as the airport.

Compare:
Airport -> Walk -> Ferry -> Car -> Octave -> Car -> Public Ferry -> Walk -> Bentley/Car/SUV -> Seaplane Terminal
Total time: One hour each way
Transfers: 9

Airport -> Bentley/Car/SUV -> Crystal Beach Inn -> Bentley/Car/SUV -> Seaplane Terminal
Total time: 15 minutes each way
Tranfers: 4

Yes, the 'Airport Butler' and the overnight's hotel staff will help, but it's still an extra hassle dealing with going to the main island.

If you'd like to actually spend time walking around Male, I suppose there might be a reason to deal with all of that hassle, but if it's just "I'd like to sleep and then be on my way", I don't see the point.

I'll be landing at Male in the late evening, and I'd certainly rather not add an extra hour of travel time, just so I can head to the Sealplane terminal first thing in the morning.
We stayed in a hotel on Hulhule on our first trip and every subsequent trip we've stayed on Male but I have considered changing back now that there are so many places to choose from just a 10min drive from the airport. You're right, it's just a waste of time to wait for the ferry, cross over, taxi there and do it again in the morning. And like you say, if you are arriving late at night you can do with an extra hour of sleep.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 12:58 pm

Will the Bentley be an extra charge if you want to ride that from the airport terminal to the seaplane terminal?
Old Dec 3, 2016, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by britinva79
Will the Bentley be an extra charge if you want to ride that from the airport terminal to the seaplane terminal?
Not sure, but I'll try to find out - looks like it might be ready to go now since StR put a pic of it on instagram last night.
EDIT - it wasn't StR's instagram account, maybe an employee's...regardless, I'll find out tomorrow if the Bentley is in use, and if there's an extra charge.

Last edited by tylerc; Dec 3, 2016 at 6:02 pm
Old Dec 3, 2016, 7:58 pm

Not sure, but I'll try to find out - looks like it might be ready to go now since StR put a pic of it on instagram last night.
EDIT - it wasn't StR's instagram account, maybe an employee's...regardless, I'll find out tomorrow if the Bentley is in use, and if there's an extra charge.
Thanks! How are you enjoying the trip so far?
Old Dec 4, 2016, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by britinva79
Thanks! How are you enjoying the trip so far?
Trip is great - our butler is great, the service really is over the top.

It is definitely an expensive 'free' trip, but hey, you only live once, right?
Old Dec 4, 2016, 6:44 am

Programs: SPG Platinum Ambassador
Trip is great - our butler is great, the service really is over the top.

It is definitely an expensive 'free' trip, but hey, you only live once, right?
Have you already uncorked the $30K bottle of wine?
Old Dec 4, 2016, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by Ants1
Have you already uncorked the $30K bottle of wine?
No, but I did see it while touring decanter this afternoon!!!
Old Dec 4, 2016, 10:40 am

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
For the few who have already been, or are currently there -- Any advice on 'dress code'?

I would assume:
Not in restaurant -- whatever swimwear/resortwear you like is acceptable.

Breakfast/Lunch -- Tshirt and Shorts is fine for men, and a sundress for women

Dinner -- ??? Dressy? Some resorts get picky about "no shorts".

Assuming in all cases, flip flops, sandals, vibrams, or even barefoot is okay?
Old Dec 4, 2016, 11:13 am

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
For the few who have already been, or are currently there -- Any advice on 'dress code'?

I would assume:

I've been to the Maldives a number of times at three different resorts. Not a single one had issues with me walking in barefoot. And shorts throughout were fine.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 5:48 pm

Going barefoot is encouraged throughout the Maldives and is a welcome change from having to wear some kind of footwear all of the time.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 6:47 pm

Talking

I would assume:

We saw a wide range. I believe only Decanter calls for something formal, and I can't comment on whether or not that is the case as we didn't eat there. The wine tasting and 5 course menu at Decanter is $365/pp for those wondering.

Unfortunately the resort could no secure us a seaplane later than 14:45...our departure from Male is 23:55. This is going to be a long day!

They say the seaplanes do no operate past 15:30ish, but we saw one arrive around 17:00 last night. I suppose I could ask to sit in the Bentley all afternoon and evening to pass the time at the airport!

Last edited by tylerc; Dec 4, 2016 at 6:56 pm
Old Dec 4, 2016, 8:04 pm

We saw a wide range. I believe only Decanter calls for something formal, and I can't comment on whether or not that is the case as we didn't eat there. The wine tasting and 5 course menu at Decanter is $365/pp for those wondering.

Unfortunately the resort could no secure us a seaplane later than 14:45...our departure from Male is 23:55. This is going to be a long day!

They say the seaplanes do no operate past 15:30ish, but we saw one arrive around 17:00 last night. I suppose I could ask to sit in the Bentley all afternoon and evening to pass the time at the airport!
Overall how was your stay?

Any advice for future travelers?

Did the St Regis offer any accommodations for your baggage? The airport will most likely not let you in until 3 hours before your flight -- so you wouldn't want to haul your bags around town with you.

From 14:45 to 23:55 should be enough time to do something in Male -- it is a very very small city.

A few possible suggestions:
1) Shopping for souvenirs / clothing -- I didn't do this in Male/Hulhumale last time, but did at Mandhoo, and prices were very very very cheap compared to anywhere else I've ever been ... something like $20 for several souvenirs and linen shirt. The USD is very strong relative to the MVR currently, so I'd imagine the deals could be even better.

2) Hululhe Airport Hotel Bar -- this is the one place in the Male area which is licensed to serve alcohol. Prices are much higher than they should be because of the exclusivity, but supposedly it is a common hangout for airline crews -- I've only been in one bar like this before (near Narita), and it was a fun experience, and got to hang out with a 777 pilot on the 2nd longest flight in the world.

3) Arrange a tour of Male -- I don't know if it was operated by the government or by the Conrad, but I know that the Conrad offered to set up a tour of Male if you were interested while waiting for the airport, free of charge (or really cheap -- i don't recall). Perhaps St Regis can offer the same?

You might find some other ideas here:
http://wikitravel.org/en/Male

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.