Search

Advise on BKK Sheraton Grande & Royal Orchid

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2000, 12:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: 2023 MH Enrich Gold (OWS), 2023 Marriott Titanium and Lifetime Gold
Advise on BKK Sheraton Grande & Royal Orchid

Hi Folks,

Anyone had stayed at this 2 hotels as I will be in BKK from Jul 19 to 22nd July.
Thanks
Old Jul 14, 2000, 1:30 am
In Memoriam

I stayed at the Royal Orchid last fall, and was very happy. Sightseeing was my main priority, so staying on the river was important to me. There is a water taxi (fast but expensive) stand just north of the hotel, and a water bus (slower but very cheap and great people watching) stand just south.

And we liked the restaurant across the river; forget the name but they have a shuttle boat from the shopping center next door (north) to the Royal Orchid.
Old Jul 14, 2000, 2:20 am

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
I have stayed there and most of the other hotels. They might have renovated, since. I hope so. It was a little worn at the time. TOO MANY tour groups and Too congested.

I MUCH prefer the Riverside Gardens Marriott, which is up and across the river with wonderful pool and gradens. Great exec floor rooms and restaurants. The hotel free 15 minute water taxi will take you for a nice ride to the Shangri-La hotel pier or the shopping plaza next to the Sheraton. Many river boats pick up passengers there. The air is better at the Marriott. Not as much exhaust.
Have had a number of rings reset and a bracelet 18KT.made at the Royal Jewelers in the plaza connected to the Marriott. Everthing turned out better then expected and much less expensive, then the stores around the Sheraton and Oriental. Up to 1/2 the priceIt was like family there. One of the best shoping experiences ever. And I am not very trusting when it comes to gold. But this family is a gem!

[This message has been edited by ROADRUNNER (edited 07-14-2000).]
Old Jul 14, 2000, 5:11 am

Programs: AA-2MM Lifetime Platinum
I stayed at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit in May. Great hotel, about 2 or 3 years old I think. I prefer it's location on Sukhumvit over the river area, that's a personal choice I guess. It is located right by the Asoke transit stop, the new train system is great. Their deluxe room is $10 or 20 more, but you get the free breakfast buffet for 2 and free cocktails from 5:30-7p. I think it's the best hotel in the area, with the JW Marriott a close 2nd.
Old Jul 14, 2000, 5:27 am

The Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit is very convenient if you don't mind using the BTS train system. The Asoke station is just beside the hotel. BTS really beats traffic and is nice to get on when the road below, Sukhumvit, is congested.

Since you are Plat., I am sure you will be upgraded to an Executive Suite, which includes butler services and American breakfast.

I have stayed at his propoerty more than 10 times so far this year. Never have they failed to give me an executive suite -- unasked, that is.

The Royal Orchid is rather old and I think you need to get a cab or tuk-tuk, if you like, or a boat, when you want to move around.
Old Jul 14, 2000, 9:19 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Agree with Paul and Chiangi.

BTW- I may be in BKK next month.
Old Jul 14, 2000, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 2023 MH Enrich Gold (OWS), 2023 Marriott Titanium and Lifetime Gold
Hi Folks,

Thanks for the tips and advise. I have already booked both hotels just to test them out. No harm in trying but the joke part of it, Sheraton Grande (newer) seems to be cheaper than Royal Orchid (old) in terms of room rates but as for SPG points, Royal Orchid is Cat 1 and Grande Cat 3, similiar to KL, Sheraton Imperial (newer) over Sheraton Subang (old)
Old Jul 16, 2000, 12:40 pm

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
The BUS tour groups may fill up the Orchid faster. It was my least favorite hotel in BKK. Worn and crowded with tour groups.
That is NOT the case at the Riverside Marriott. It had the sophisticated Japanese business types.
Old May 1, 2001, 11:02 pm

Danial-What was your view on the both hotels.I cant get the Grand for under $140++.The Royal orchid is outrageous at $115++-maybe somethings happening this weekend!Anyway any new comments are appreciated as it looks really out of the way.
Old May 2, 2001, 1:15 am
Original Member

Hi everyone, I have just come back from a stay at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit and the service was extremely mediocre, to say the least. I am SPG Plat and was there on a long weekend holiday last weekend. I reserved 2 rooms at USD120++ for triple Starpoints (Tinkybelle, this can be found on the hotel's website).

I was off to a good start with an upgrade to an Executive Suite for one of the rooms. Other members of my family arrived first and had already checked into the room next door. When they came back to the room, they discovered that the card keys no longer worked, perhaps because of my subsequent check in (both rooms under my name for the points). No problem, a call to the front desk for new keys - it took 3 trips up and down 30 floors and one whole hour for them to get a set of keys that worked for each room !! Not a good start.

Then we discovered that the air con in the other room (not the suite) did not work properly. Someone came to fix it - seemed ok only to conk out again in the middle of the night - stifling in the Bangkok heat ! Complained again the next day, requesting a room change if cannot be fixed - assured again it was fixed - same thing. This was never resolved for the 3 nights I was there !

In between, we accidentally locked ourselves out of the room (it had one of those card switches which require a card there for the power to come on). Not so difficult, but it took one whole hour (again !) to wait for a duplicate key to be sent up.

Not to mention that I had to request for fruit platter and chocolate for the other room (which I gather was the SPG amenity).

I think I just had a massively bad run. The hotel itself was ok, reasonably conveniently located with the skytrain station just outside. It serves an excellent buffet breakfast (inc in the rate above).

I think it was far below par in service terms compared to most other Sheraton Luxury Collection that I have stayed at around Asia. And certainly quite atrocious compared to the treatment that I get as Hyatt and Hilton Diamond.

I have filled in 2 survey forms found in the room addressed to the GM of the hotel and Starwood expressing my dissatisfaction. we shall see if there is any response. I will also send an email to Starwood Lurker.
Old May 2, 2001, 3:15 am

Dupe

[This message has been edited by robbiefields (edited 05-02-2001).]
Old May 2, 2001, 3:17 am

trip

[This message has been edited by robbiefields (edited 05-02-2001).]
Old May 2, 2001, 3:19 am

The Sheraton Grande has much better rooms than the Royal Orchid. The Royal Orchid is more like a Singapore hotel as far as room size is concerned.

To give you some idea of pricing : the Royal Orchid every summer offers locals a "holiday in Bangkok" rate of 2000 baht per room, that's under $50.

For people who are not in any hurry and not interested in Bangkok nightlife, stay by the river. Otherwise, stay along the BTS elevated route. The Nana is _the_ hotel to stay in for $25/room/night incl b'fast buffet. Top of the line would be the Regent.

The Nana is next door to the JW Marriott but the lounge action is better at the Nana. The J.W. has much smaller rooms than the Sheraton Grande.

The main dining room at the Sheraton Grande has some of the most perverse acoustics I have ever come across. There is an in house disco but it pales in comparison with Spasso at the Hyatt Erawan, located near the Regent, but between BTS stations.

The Nana disco remains the No 1 pick up spot.
Closes at 2 a.m., these days. Across from the Nana is the Nana Entertainment Plaza which has displaced Patpong as the nightlife "district".

Other than its free and essential river taxi, the Marriott Riverside (now officially called the Bangkok Marriott) has little to recommend it (and I am a shareholder in the Thai company that owns it!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.