FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Advise on BKK Sheraton Grande & Royal Orchid
Old May 2, 2001, 1:15 am
freqflyer
Original Member

Hi everyone, I have just come back from a stay at the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit and the service was extremely mediocre, to say the least. I am SPG Plat and was there on a long weekend holiday last weekend. I reserved 2 rooms at USD120++ for triple Starpoints (Tinkybelle, this can be found on the hotel's website).

I was off to a good start with an upgrade to an Executive Suite for one of the rooms. Other members of my family arrived first and had already checked into the room next door. When they came back to the room, they discovered that the card keys no longer worked, perhaps because of my subsequent check in (both rooms under my name for the points). No problem, a call to the front desk for new keys - it took 3 trips up and down 30 floors and one whole hour for them to get a set of keys that worked for each room !! Not a good start.

Then we discovered that the air con in the other room (not the suite) did not work properly. Someone came to fix it - seemed ok only to conk out again in the middle of the night - stifling in the Bangkok heat ! Complained again the next day, requesting a room change if cannot be fixed - assured again it was fixed - same thing. This was never resolved for the 3 nights I was there !

In between, we accidentally locked ourselves out of the room (it had one of those card switches which require a card there for the power to come on). Not so difficult, but it took one whole hour (again !) to wait for a duplicate key to be sent up.

Not to mention that I had to request for fruit platter and chocolate for the other room (which I gather was the SPG amenity).

I think I just had a massively bad run. The hotel itself was ok, reasonably conveniently located with the skytrain station just outside. It serves an excellent buffet breakfast (inc in the rate above).

I think it was far below par in service terms compared to most other Sheraton Luxury Collection that I have stayed at around Asia. And certainly quite atrocious compared to the treatment that I get as Hyatt and Hilton Diamond.

I have filled in 2 survey forms found in the room addressed to the GM of the hotel and Starwood expressing my dissatisfaction. we shall see if there is any response. I will also send an email to Starwood Lurker.