Search

New Starwood Brand- Tribute

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 8:43 pm
dw
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
New Starwood Brand- Tribute

Looks like the new "independent" brand (like Marriott's Autograph Collection and Hilton's Curio) is going to be called "Tribute", and indeed the Royal Palm in South Beach us going to be the first property.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/starwood...1?mod=yahoo_hs

(The link requires a subscription, but you can google it in incognito mode to read it without one)
Old Apr 15, 2015, 9:55 pm

Very interesting - I wonder if/how many Design Hotels properties might be rolled into Tribute.

Not sure if I love the name, though.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:45 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat. WOH Glob. SQ Gold
Hopefully they've already signed up quite a few hotels for the new brand.

Good timing for whoever becomes the new CEO.

If it's a flop: "Well that was project commenced by my predecessor etc etc"
If a success: "Well that was a project that commenced at the start of my tenure and I'm very pleased etc etc"
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Very interesting idea to compete with Hilton's Curio and Mariott's Autograph.

I kind of wish they'd have just bought Kimpton though rather than have some other batch of hotels that don't quite under the Luxury Collection umbrella or wish to be rebranded as a W or Westin!
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:04 pm

Programs: NZ*G, MAR Titanium, HLT Diamond
Originally Posted by makin'miles
Very interesting - I wonder if/how many Design Hotels properties might be rolled into Tribute.

Not sure if I love the name, though.
I was thinking the same. Previous indication was this new brand sits in between Luxury Collection and the newly acquired Design Hotels. Does it mean Design Hotels will be brand #11? Or will members of the Design Hotels have the option to take the Tribute brand?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:34 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
I was thinking the same. Previous indication was this new brand sits in between Luxury Collection and the newly acquired Design Hotels. Does it mean Design Hotels will be brand #11? Or will members of the Design Hotels have the option to take the Tribute brand?
Exactly - Tribute is the name that's being given for the Design Hotels
Old Apr 16, 2015, 1:17 am

Programs: IHG Diamond Amb, Bonvoy Plat (+LTP), VS Silver
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
Exactly - Tribute is the name that's being given for the Design Hotels
I very much doubt this as the WSJ article refers to 100 Tribute Portfolio hotels by 2020 (and there are far more Design Hotels than this).

There's now a development page on the Starwood web site with logo and confirmation about the Royal Palm:
http://development.starwoodhotels.co...bute_portfolio
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:27 am

http://www.spgpromos.com/tributeportfolio/

Celebrate Tribute Portfolio with 10,000 Starpoints. Link doesn't appear live yet.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:49 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
The 100 number is interesting.

I can't imagine anywhere near that many new hotels being built or acquired in 4.5 years, so most must come from the existing Starwood/ design portfolio.

There are a certain number of existing SPG hotels which you could move over. Maybe ~10 Luxury Collection and an unknown number of hotels that don't quite fit in their existing brand. That would still leave you quite short.

Does this mean that some of the Design hotels would move into the "standard" SPG portfolio? Does anyone have any other potential scenarios?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 6:23 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
The whole point of the brand is to NOT have to build or acquire any hotels. It is simply offering independent hotels a soft brand to keep their own identity while gaining many of the same benefits of being a "name brand." Thus Starwood simply has to negotiate with existing hotels as to how much money they would be giving Starwood in exchange for getting into SPG and the Starwood distribution and marketing network.

For clarity, Design Hotels as it currently stands is NOT a brand and was not a brand before Starwood acquired the company. It is simply a company that provides ad hoc services with the hotels being promoted and rooms sold through the designhotels.com website. They can also help with PR and yield management, etc but it is entirely up to the hotel as to which services they choose to pay for and which they simply do in house.

Starwood has already announced that they would like to work with at least some of the hotels currently being marketed through designhotels.com and bring them closer into the Starwood fold--but Tribute would not be limited to those hotels. Any place that Starwood wanted to increase their presence which had an independent hotel which fit the new bar for joining Tribute would be a potential candidate for the new brand.

Of course in the future, some company could also build an independent hotel and negotiate with Starwood to join Tribute as well but I doubt that will be the focus for the short term as it is far easier and quicker to ramp up the number of hotels in the brand by negotiating with existing owners--or hotels that are at least close to being opened.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
For clarity, Design Hotels as it currently stands is NOT a brand and was not a brand before Starwood acquired the company. It is simply a company that provides ad hoc services with the hotels being promoted and rooms sold through the designhotels.com website. They can also help with PR and yield management, etc but it is entirely up to the hotel as to which services they choose to pay for and which they simply do in house.
Sounds like Design Hotels is just an online travel agent. I wonder what Starwood gains if it is not integrated into the SPG ecosystem.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 6:48 am

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
Originally Posted by dw
Looks like the new "independent" brand (like Marriott's Autograph Collection and Hilton's Curio) is going to be called "Tribute", and indeed the Royal Palm in South Beach us going to be the first property.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/starwood...1?mod=yahoo_hs

(The link requires a subscription, but you can google it in incognito mode to read it without one)
Great location...... rooms small , service excellent ,already booked with points over Christmas!
Old Apr 16, 2015, 6:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Tribute looks like a distribution platform: you give us 10% (or whatever) of the revenue, and we fill your rooms (through our wide distribution, corporate pull, strength of SPG, marketing to SPG members, etc. etc.).

I hope that they have instituted some strong brand minimums (minimum amenities, training etc.) even though they seem to be a bit more "loose" with this "independent" set-up.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Link working now. Extra Starpoints are for staying at a Tribute before 15 July.

Coming soon: Tribute Portfolio hotels will be available in Asheville, NC; Nashville, TN; Charleston, SC; and Savannah, GA, and many more exciting destinations.
Am I the only one that doesn't find any of the above destinations "exciting"?

Is Tribute a brand for the U.S. Southeast? Weird.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 6:52 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
The whole point of the brand is to NOT have to build or acquire any hotels. It is simply offering independent hotels a soft brand to keep their own identity while gaining many of the same benefits of being a "name brand." Thus Starwood simply has to negotiate with existing hotels as to how much money they would be giving Starwood in exchange for getting into SPG and the Starwood distribution and marketing network.
Thanks for the clarification.

If that does mean 100 new boutique 4/5* Starwood hotels around the world assuming full membership of SPG then that would be fantastic news for me. I was beginning to run low on appealing Luxury Collections to go to.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.