Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Advice Needed, Hotel Breach of Contract - W New York - Union Square

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice Needed, Hotel Breach of Contract - W New York - Union Square

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2015, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Another Update

I just exchanged some e-mails with the hotel manager, and they've decided to drop their food and beverage minimum to $4,000.00. I told them I'll talk to their catering manager to see what they would be able to offer me at that price point in terms of food and beverage.

I'm awaiting a response from corporate, but they're currently looking into a way that I could use my more than 100,000 starpoints to get a large credit to use at the hotel.

If they can get me a credit at a reasonable valuation, I think we'll have come to a resolution that makes me reasonably happy!
Old Mar 21, 2015, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL 360, Marriott Ambassador, AA Plat
At this point I don't why you are still trying to host your party at an SPG property. Both the property as well as SPG Corporate have treated you very poorly IMHO and continue to do so. I think its time to take your business elsewhere.

$3000 is a decent budget for 30 people. Why not book out a party venue instead of a hotel room? I think booking out a small club is probably a better use of the money and the costs should be comparable. Also check out what Andaz has to offer.

Hopefully it all works out for you. Good luck!
Old Mar 21, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by Astronomer
At this point I don't why you are still trying to host your party at an SPG property. Both the property as well as SPG Corporate have treated you very poorly IMHO and continue to do so. I think its time to take your business elsewhere.
+1
Old Mar 21, 2015, 11:15 pm

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Why cut short our entertainment? Let op do as he pleases as it is clear he isn't going to take any advice after numerous attempts. It is his party and let him update us as it unfolds) ......... go op go!!!!! Forgive the fter's as it is in their DNA to give advice that is gospel to the masses or they wouldn't be fter's) .
Old Mar 22, 2015, 12:59 am

Originally Posted by schley
Why cut short our entertainment? Let op do as he pleases as it is clear he isn't going to take any advice after numerous attempts. It is his party and let him update us as it unfolds) ......... go op go!!!!! Forgive the fter's as it is in their DNA to give advice that is gospel to the masses or they wouldn't be fter's) .
In the thread title, the op clearly states
Advice Needed
But it seems he's not taking any.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 4:57 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
In the thread title, the op clearly states But it seems he's not taking any.
Yeah if he said no advice needed then he would get flamed, he just wants to vent and share his frustration. Let him.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 6:09 am

Originally Posted by schley
Yeah if he said no advice needed then he would get flamed, he just wants to vent and share his frustration. Let him.
If he just wanted to vent then he should do so, we've seen plenty of those here. But he asked for advise, so everyone is giving him that.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 9:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Clarification

I'm really not here to be a troll, and I hope I don't come across that way.

I know I asked "What would you do", and what I really should have written would have been, "What's the best way to get Starwood to resolve the issue favorably".

I did get a quote of $2,325.00 for the Andaz penthouse, which IMO, is a much nicer suite, but I'll still need to block additional rooms and review room service menus. It's something I'm considering, but I've already sent out an invite to my celebration at the W.

I have also contacted American Express Platinum concierge to try to help me find a Plan C or D.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
After a little more thinking about the content of this thread, the thought that keeps coming to mind is... Boy this is such a first world problem.

And trust me, I am as guilty of this as the OP.

It's a birthday party and at this point, I am siding with the folks who are saying just move on. SPG did wrong by you, but it isn't worth your time anymore.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 9:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Anytime you are planning an event, start with whatever passes for a sales manager at the property. Forget websites, forget what somebody else usually does. That way, you work out an agreement for rooms, f&b and whatever else you need. There is a contract which obligates the property and you, it is signed by both of you and everybody knows where it stands.

It also avoids other unpleasant surprises which people don't think about such as extra lights, extension cords and all the minor stuff which you can expect a property to charge for unless you've cut the deal to include them.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 10:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
Anytime you are planning an event, start with whatever passes for a sales manager at the property. Forget websites, forget what somebody else usually does. That way, you work out an agreement for rooms, f&b and whatever else you need. There is a contract which obligates the property and you, it is signed by both of you and everybody knows where it stands.

It also avoids other unpleasant surprises which people don't think about such as extra lights, extension cords and all the minor stuff which you can expect a property to charge for unless you've cut the deal to include them.
I actually called the property directly to book, but I think they might have transferred me to central reservations, not entirely sure.

It's my 25th birthday, I know it's a first world problem, and I've thought about that, but I work hard for my money, and I'd like to be able to spend it to do something special for myself.

I know that some people on here feel that I've come across as a cheapskate, but I actually do a lot to help my community, both from a monetary perspective and from a time commitment standpoint.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by donotblink
I know that some people on here feel that I've come across as a cheapskate, but I actually do a lot to help my community, both from a monetary perspective and from a time commitment standpoint.
None of which matters to the discussion at hand. I think you should look at the Andaz and be done with it. Aside from the new Park Hyatt, it is likely the nicest chain hotel in Manhattan and that says a lot. Contacting 30 people to inform them that the location has changed from what was printed on the invites should take less time than you have spent responding to this thread.

Should something be done about the W hotel? I'm not really sure they breached any contract with you, to be honest... at least none that would present a winnable case or allow you to get what you want out of them. I'm sure their story changed when the "right" people got involved from their side and that is unfortunately what happens when you're negotiating with the wrong people to begin with, of course. The fact that they changed the text on their website to remove their misleading marketing is shameful and it should be addressed at some level. This will likely be something that will not benefit you in any way.

With that said, unless you're attempting to earn a role as Veruca Salt in a Broadway production of Willy Wonka, I would recommend that you move on and celebrate your birthday. When you look back during every future milestone birthday, you will likely realize that this one would have been better served by spending time with your close friends (a lot less than 30) having drinks at a restaurant and allowing the talk to center not on you but on your relationships with those friends and how much they add to your life. It would be a lot less money than a few thousand dollars and it would mean a lot more to you and to all those involved. It is like planning a wedding ... nearly everyone could get by with a handful of people and have a much more meaningful time sharing their special moment.
Old Mar 22, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by jibi
When you look back during every future milestone birthday, you will likely realize that this one would have been better served by spending time with your close friends (a lot less than 30) having drinks at a restaurant and allowing the talk to center not on you but on your relationships with those friends and how much they add to your life. It would be a lot less money than a few thousand dollars and it would mean a lot more to you and to all those involved. It is like planning a wedding ... nearly everyone could get by with a handful of people and have a much more meaningful time sharing their special moment.
+1(000)
Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jibi
unless you're attempting to earn a role as Veruca Salt in a Broadway production of Willy Wonka, I would recommend that you move on and celebrate your birthday.
That's not really what I'm going for, but maybe I could get a Tony award for my performance in this thread.

I wonder what hotel might want to host the afterparty?!
Old Mar 22, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
Not much to add but I hope you have a wonderful 25th birthday, regardless of where it is! Enjoy your friends and family and celebrate your first quarter century! Cheers to many more

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.