Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Advice Needed, Hotel Breach of Contract - W New York - Union Square

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2015, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.4.2; en-us; LGL31L/V100 Build/KOT49I.L31L10d) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Chrome/30.0.1599.103 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Can you book the Lexington again this year with points or c&p? Also how many guests did you have last year?
Sadly, no. Although I'm trying to see if they'll allow me to apply my more than 100,000 points towards one of the options.

I had about 30 guests last year. The W on Lex also has a large outdoor terrace, so noise is less of an issue.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:29 pm
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Originally Posted by donotblink
The room description itself said "host a sizeable gathering thanks to the separate living room’s ample seating" how do you define sizeable? I would have been willing to work with them if they had capped it at 25, or maybe a bit less.

Also, why on earth did they put DJ booth in the room (and advertise it) if they didn't want it to be used?

I'm sorry, but I shouldn't have to bare any responsibility here. I've been more than reasonable!

Also, to answer your question, I have a 450sq foot studio apartment with one bathroom, which is too small, noise wouldn't have been an issue.
There you have your answer.

It said "host a sizeable gathering thanks to the separate living room's ample seating".

Ergo, the number of seats installed in that room is the number of people that it is appropriate to have attending the gathering, including the hosts.

If there are 27-32 chairs already in that room then it's okay for you to invite 25-30 guests. If there aren't, then your situation is like inviting 15 people to a party in a standard motel room.

I suspect that the property's advertising is careless and/or thoughtless but that they view the suite as okay for double occupancy and 6-8 guests. But you had something much bigger in mind and interpreted "sizeable gathering" very differently.

Ultimately, 25-30 guests is bigger than many weddings. I think that most people would expect to have to book and pay for space, such as in a meeting or conference room.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by DCF
There you have your answer.

It said "host a sizeable gathering thanks to the separate living room's ample seating".

Ergo, the number of seats installed in that room is the number of people that it is appropriate to have attending the gathering, including the hosts.

If there are 27-32 chairs already in that room then it's okay for you to invite 25-30 guests. If there aren't, then your situation is like inviting 15 people to a party in a standard motel room.

I suspect that the property's advertising is careless and/or thoughtless but that they view the suite as okay for double occupancy and 6-8 guests. But you had something much bigger in mind and interpreted "sizeable gathering" very differently.

Ultimately, 25-30 guests is bigger than many weddings. I think that most people would expect to have to book and pay for space, such as in a meeting or conference room.
The space is massive. The Extreme Wow Suite itself is two rooms and 1,000 square feet, it features a full bathroom and a powder room. The connecting room adds a good 250 square feet and a 3rd bathroom. The suite has a massive wraparound sofa that covers almost the entire suite, and cushions in the bay windows allowing for additional seating. You could comfortably seat 25 people in the suite without adding any additional furniture.

I'm adding some pics I took when I was touring the suite. Sorry for the poor quality. I originally took them for my reference purposes only.

Also, I think your point is moot when the property will allow 25-30 guests if they get their 5k.

Last edited by donotblink; Mar 18, 2015 at 10:59 pm
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:07 am

Gotta say I side with OP on this one. 1000 SF is nothing to scoff at and the W clearly advertises itself as a party hotel. My vote is give Hyatt a look. Maybe affordable!
Old Mar 19, 2015, 12:29 am

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
OP was treated miserably, and I commend him for being cool headed to this point. I would have lost it.

If they advertise a DJ booth, then I have little sympathy for their noise concerns. And if they are willing to host the party for a $5k F&B minimum, then they have revealed that the true concern is solely over P&L. This is a money grab.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 1:40 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
The space is massive. The Extreme Wow Suite itself is two rooms and 1,000 square feet
I agree, the room size itself is decent. In Asia, we have this thing where on the day of wedding, we would book a hospitality suite. And the groom would pick up the bride from the room after a party. Despite being the morning instead of night, the suite would have packed more than 40-50 people. You don't even have to host the wedding at the same hotel and they don't charge you anything above the standard room-rate.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 3:52 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
I still maintain that the hotel has not behaved well - the advertising is misleading and sets them up for this sort of situation.

But having seen the pics, I have four comments to make.

Firstly, that has to be the ugliest room that I have seen in a hotel. Absolutely revolting. I can't believe they charge people to sleep in it - it looks like a homeless shelter with non-matching furniture donated by the public at the end of its life.

Secondly, I know that New Yorkers are used to crowding, but that room would be pushing it to hold eight invitees.

Thirdly, please tell me that that tiny little metal table with room for 4 is not the "interchangeable wall unit whose functions range from a DJ booth to a dining table for six". What is number six? A mouse? A cockroach? In fact, even though you could put a fifth chair on the end of the table the fifth guest wouldn't even have room for a plate!

It's a very small ugly table in a tiny recessed alcove the size of a vertical coffin. It's no more a "DJ booth" than my laptop case is.

Fourthly, the OP is arguing that he could cram 25-30 people into the room by having people sit in the bay windows which have cushions in them. Have you seen how high up they are? Are your friends very tall, or is the hotel going to provide a ladder?

I'm starting to sniff "creative" advertising for a nasty little suite that has provoked this sort of situation.

Last edited by DCF; Mar 19, 2015 at 4:14 am
Old Mar 19, 2015, 5:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Originally Posted by DCF
But having seen the pics, I have four comments to make.

Firstly, that has to be the ugliest room that I have seen in a hotel.
Exactly my thought.

If you need furniture for a hotel room, fly to Northern Italy, go to Minotti or B&B, Cassina, Poltrona Frau.

On the way to Italy, you stop in Switzerland or Germany to check out designs at the Vitra Design Museum

Nothing beats a LC2 or LC4 combined with a classic Walter Knoll leather sofa we find at some Westin locations in Germany.

This hotel room is full of cheap pseudo-design furniture...kind of a wannabe cool, but do not have the money, so any alternative will do style (as long as it is cheap...)

Do you really want to host a party there?
Old Mar 19, 2015, 5:40 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
Gents, this is what's known as le goût americain.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 7:37 am

Maybe you could try the Waldorf? Another FT member had success. Here is the link:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...storia-ny.html
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
Maybe you could try the Waldorf? Another FT member had success. Here is the link:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hilto...storia-ny.html
Hmm, this is something to think about, but I've been in some of the Waldorf's rooms and have to say that the entire hotel really desperately needs renovation.

Maybe I should just call the American Express Platinum Concierge and see if they can find me a good non-Starwood Fine Hotels and Resorts Suite?

For the record, I do still think Starwood should do the right thing here and offer me what I was originally offered or something comparable at a much more reasonable price.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Originally Posted by DCF
that room would be pushing it to hold eight invitees.
Upon looking at full size official photos, I agree it won't hold 30 people.
Unless the bed is removed for an extra couch/seating area, 15 would be pushing it.

Last edited by miloworld; Mar 19, 2015 at 8:29 am
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:23 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Hmm, this is something to think about, but I've been in some of the Waldorf's rooms and have to say that the entire hotel really desperately needs renovation.

Maybe I should just call the American Express Platinum Concierge and see if they can find me a good non-Starwood Fine Hotels and Resorts Suite?

For the record, I do still think Starwood should do the right thing here and offer me what I was originally offered or something comparable at a much more reasonable price.
To be honest with you, you slightly overestimate the power of SPG Corporate.

I do not know who owns the property, at this point I assume it is not a hotel owned by SPG, so they have (very) limited power. The owner and his prolonged arm, the GM, calls the shots, so I fear investing more time will not get you any closer to your goal of hosting a nice party.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FD1971
To be honest with you, you slightly overestimate the power of SPG Corporate.

I do not know who owns the property, at this point I assume it is not a hotel owned by SPG, so they have (very) limited power. The owner and his prolonged arm, the GM, calls the shots, so I fear investing more time will not get you any closer to your goal of hosting a nice party.
Hotels Union Square LLC DBA W New York - Union Square is owned by Host Hotels & Resorts and operated by Starwood Hotels and Resorts Worldwide.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by miloworld
Upon looking at full size official photos, I agree it won't hold 30 people.
Unless the bed is removed for an extra couch/seating area, 15 would be pushing it.
Roughly 1,250 square feet (with the added third adjoining room) is a lot of square footage, and is suitable for this size of a gathering. The property doesn't contest this, and I was initially promised extra seating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.