Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Advice Needed, Hotel Breach of Contract - W New York - Union Square

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice Needed, Hotel Breach of Contract - W New York - Union Square

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If OP asked for assistance from Starwood with the original reservation and explained to Starwood how he planned to use the room, then Starwood should have communicated this accurately to the hotel when they were helping with the reservation. Perhaps they suggested the room based on its website description, but they should have made sure that appropriate employees at the hotel were made aware of the plan. IMO it isn't unreasonable for the OP to assume that this had been done at the beginning, although folks with more experience in booking events at hotels would probably have verified the understanding at a much earlier point in time.
I haven't been around here that long, but know enough that every complaint or issue be it at a hotel or airline is perfectly portrayed without any bias or missing details here.

That's all I'm saying.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sethb
It was at conventions, and I was responding to the ridiculous claim that 30+ square feet per person was inadequate for a party.
Lots of people invite others to parties in their homes and don't necessarily have this much space per person. Indeed, I've had 30-40 for cocktails in about 1400 square feet and I even kept the door to the bedroom and ensuite bathroom closed.

It's a bit unclear how the suite floor plan would have worked with the party and specifically whether the OP had planned to have people spending time in the suite bedroom, versus using it for coats or not using it at all. If the OP didn't want guests in the bedroom (hopefully the suite has at least a second powder room), then the effective space is reduced, but it still doesn't seem unreasonable from a crowding viewpoint. However, there could be regulations about maximum occupancy of the rooms in addition to the maximum number that can legally sleep there. [As I said earlier in this thread, some SPG hotels have rules about the maximum number of people that may be in a room or suite at any time, thereby limiting visitors and parties.]
Old Mar 30, 2015, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jabbered
I haven't been around here that long, but know enough that every complaint or issue be it at a hotel or airline is perfectly portrayed without any bias or missing details here.

That's all I'm saying.
Note that my post begins with the word IF.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Lots of people invite others to parties in their homes and don't necessarily have this much space per person. Indeed, I've had 30-40 for cocktails in about 1400 square feet and I even kept the door to the bedroom and ensuite bathroom closed.
For those who disagree, pick your favorite hotel with function space. Go to their web site, and look at the sizes and capacities of various function rooms.

418 square feet holds 50 for a reception.
768 square feet holds 90 for a reception.

I'll admit that suites have more space-wasting furniture (and bathrooms, kitchens, etc.) than function rooms, but still . . .
Old Mar 30, 2015, 4:03 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
They advertised it for parties, OP booked it for a party. That's false advertising, at best.
Originally Posted by OP
As an FYI, the hotel manager indicated that he felt that a reasonable number of people would be 10
OP states that the manager said a reasonable number of people to attend his birthday party would be 10. The hotel has stated he could have an event at the hotel as long as he paid for it as an event. No false advertising. The hotel's comments are counter to what their policies suggest about not having parties, of course.

IMO it isn't unreasonable for the OP to assume that this had been done at the beginning, although folks with more experience in booking events at hotels would probably have verified the understanding at a much earlier point in time.
OP has supposedly booked other birthday parties at the W Lexington and W Times Square, so that would make the OP a bit more experienced with event planning than the average blinker. I would assume the OP has likely learned a few lessons in his days as an amateur birthday self-planner: 1) How to properly book and hold an event at a hotel and 2) How to book an event a hotel for the cost of the rooms and 3) How to do something that likely makes the hotel want to back out of any verbal arrangement they may have started negotiating with him.

It really does favor an FT member when we only hear their side of the story. There has been very little acknowledgement of that fact in this thread. If we had to score this out of 100, I would say the OP may have about 56% and the W would have the remaining 44%. Throw in the W's side of the story and that probably tilts things in their favor. One way or the other, both parties (no pun) are at fault.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 9:13 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
This thread is still going?!
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
This thread is still going?!
Has turned into a more general conversation of 1) rooms in parties, and 2) the accuracy in recognition (or lack thereof) of the (nearby) Grand Central Terminal name
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by jibi
OP states that the manager said a reasonable number of people to attend his birthday party would be 10. The hotel has stated he could have an event at the hotel as long as he paid for it as an event.
So you think $5,000 F&B requirement for 10 people makes sense? In what universe?

The W hotel's own website says that a 500 square foot function room holds 35 people for a reception. A 1,000 square foot suite is somewhat larger than a 500 square foot function room.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 11:56 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.4.2; en-us; LGL31L/V100 Build/KOT49I.L31L10d) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Chrome/30.0.1599.103 Mobile Safari/537.36)

OP states that the manager said a reasonable number of people to attend his birthday party would be 10. The hotel has stated he could have an event at the hotel as long as he paid for it as an event.
So you think $5,000 F&B requirement for 10 people makes sense? In what universe?

The W hotel's own website says that a 500 square foot function room holds 35 people for a reception. A 1,000 square foot suite is somewhat larger than a 500 square foot function room.
It looks like sethb with post # 203 has won the Op's case against the property and the wonderful corporate customer service. Op please let them know they lost and and let us know what your compensation will be. Thank you sethb.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 5:04 pm
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest

Sorry, but that is nonsense.

200 square feet is the bathrooms. Take it out.

400 square feet is the bedroom. Take it out.

At best, 400 square feet is the lounge area - but on the pictures it looks significantly less than that.

A 1000 square foot function room has fire code approval for multiple occupancy, soundproofing, is located away from guest rooms, has appropriate entry and exit points and tends to have its own elevators or escalators.

A suite on a guest floor has none of those features.

The OP's plan was self-centred and inconsiderate towards other guests. I don't think he is in any way a bad person, simply that being a NYC resident he is probably desensitised to crowding and Neighbor noise in a way that most of us who live in places with higher levels of personal space and tranquillity are not.

The hotel was wrong to initially countenance such an event, although I suspect that they understood the OP to be planning a small dinner party at the table for 4-5.

And the hotel's advertising was grandiose and misleading.

But they are doing the right thing by their other guests in not allowing this inflated and inevitably disruptive party for 30+ to be hosted in a guest room.

Last edited by DCF; Mar 31, 2015 at 5:16 pm
Old Mar 31, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DCF

At best, 400 square feet is the lounge area - but on the pictures it looks significantly less than that.

A 1000 square foot function room has fire code approval for multiple occupancy, soundproofing, is located away from guest rooms, has appropriate entry and exit points and tends to have its own elevators or escalators.

The OP's plan was self-centred and inconsiderate towards other guests. I don't think he is in any way a bad person, simply that being a NYC resident he is probably desensitised to crowding and Neighbor noise in a way that most of us who live in places with higher levels of personal space and tranquillity are not.

The hotel was wrong to initially countenance such an event, although I suspect that they understood the OP to be planning a small dinner party at the table for 4-5.

And the hotel's advertising was grandiose and misleading.

But they are doing the right thing by their other guests in not allowing this inflated and inevitably disruptive party for 30+ to be hosted in a guest room.
I am not sure your reasoning is correct wrt the agreement and the followup.
First an agreement was made. Full stop. It was not until very recently that this agreement was cancelled!
Further, the hotel offered an F&B resolution. Well if it wasn't good before, why is throwing $5K at it better? Your point re: imposition on other guests is not resolved by what the hotel offered. Further, adjacent rooms could have been booked, limiting the noise pollution.
Finally, there is no reason to believe that the OP and his guests would have been disrespectful to other guests. Often when parties get too loud, simple security calls suffice in lowering the noise level.

While I resisted posting on this thread, the OP negotiated in good faith and was utterly let down by the hotel (one that I like very much) and SPG Corporate. Should he pursue this case, I think there is merit in his argument (and also that the hotel was willing to disavow its own restrictions if the OP threw some more (a lot) of $$ towards F&B.) This should have been caught months before, not weeks before an event. Sadly, this seems like the shifty Sheraton Pasadena thread where arbitrary, non-contractual decisions are made.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 6:14 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.4.2; en-us; LGL31L/V100 Build/KOT49I.L31L10d) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Chrome/30.0.1599.103 Mobile Safari/537.36)

It looks like sethb with post # 203 has won the Op's case against the property and the wonderful corporate customer service. Op please let them know they lost and and let us know what your compensation will be. Thank you sethb.
I am unsure if the OP was told that 10 would be reasonable with or without the F&B requirement. I do not think $5,000 is reasonable for 10 people, but it may be reasonable for an event hosted at an "upscale" hotel in Manhattan irregardless of the number of guests. I am still of the opinion that the hotel simply put a number out there in order to make their property less appealing to the OP. Of course, they are likely getting more than they bargained for with the OP's response to their counteroffer.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DCF

Want to bet $10/square foot on the size of the bathroom? I've never seen a hotel bathroom that large, even in Presidential Suites.

So now you're claiming that the parlor area is smaller than a bedroom? For the smallest suites, the parlor is the size of a bedroom; for major suites, it's a multiple of that size.
Old Mar 31, 2015, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by DCF
WHAT???? Nobody is allowed to enter the bedroom? Ridiculous argument you've made.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
OP has supposedly booked other birthday parties at the W Lexington and W Times Square, so that would make the OP a bit more experienced with event planning than the average blinker. I would assume the OP has likely learned a few lessons in his days as an amateur birthday self-planner: 1) How to properly book and hold an event at a hotel and 2) How to book an event a hotel for the cost of the rooms and 3) How to do something that likely makes the hotel want to back out of any verbal arrangement they may have started negotiating with him.

It really does favor an FT member when we only hear their side of the story.
When I had my birthday celebrations in the past, I didn't do anything differently than I did this time. Because the W on Lexington Avenue was sorry that they were more than two hours late checking me in last year, one of their talent coaches actually went out to The Meatball Shop to pick up a big platter of meatball sliders. I really went out of my way to be accommodating to the hotel as I possibly could; I think I was really reasonable by booking surrounding rooms, voluntarily ending the celebration at 11pm, and subsequently offering to spend nearly the room rate on food (and then offering to further increase that).

I also think that I've been good about telling both sides of the story (although I don't really understand the hotel's argument), I think I was really reasonable to not include the names of hotel employees on this thread, which could have potentially hindered future career opportunities for them.

Originally Posted by DCF

I can tell you that in the past, people have used the bedroom as an additional space to spend time. You're also forgetting that one of the rooms that I booked is connecting and adds 274-300 additional square feet (according to the hotel's website). That room also adds another fire exit, a third bathroom, and additional seating.

Originally Posted by DCF
I really resent that fact that you continue to say 30+ (in some previous posts you've said 32), I stated that I intended to have 25-30 people at the celebration, which was including myself. On the first round of invites that were sent out, I only received 18 yes RSVPs.

Originally Posted by neuron
While I resisted posting on this thread, the OP negotiated in good faith and was utterly let down by the hotel (one that I like very much) and SPG Corporate. Should he pursue this case, I think there is merit in his argument (and also that the hotel was willing to disavow its own restrictions if the OP threw some more (a lot) of $$ towards F&B.) This should have been caught months before, not weeks before an event. Sadly, this seems like the shifty Sheraton Pasadena thread where arbitrary, non-contractual decisions are made.
Thank you, I am currently reviewing a number of options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.