Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Advice Needed, Hotel Breach of Contract - W New York - Union Square

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice Needed, Hotel Breach of Contract - W New York - Union Square

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by donotblink
I also think that I've been good about telling both sides of the story (although I don't really understand the hotel's argument), I think I was really reasonable to not include the names of hotel employees on this thread, which could have potentially hindered future career opportunities for them.
The fact that you do not understand their argument (and perhaps do not truly know their argument) is the basis of you not being able to tell both sides of the story. They could have decided to pull the rug simply because they needed the extra space. They could have decided that you came across as a prick who would likely not live up to your agreement to be polite and courteous to other guests. They could have decided that they simply did not want the potential liability. They could have decided that they should be able to make some additional money on an informal event at the hotel. None of these could be the reason they provided to you, of course, and thus you would be unable to tell their side of the story.

As for not including the person's name, it does not take much to take the title you provided multiple times - "W Insider" - and find the page on the W Union Square website with her profile on it. You may not have included it directly, but you did disclose enough information for anyone with basic knowledge of a search engine or the ability to browse a website to discover the real name of the employee. I don't believe that was directed at me (as I don't care one way or the other), but just as an FYI on the courtesy you were providing to her...

I really resent that fact that you continue to say 30+ (in some previous posts you've said 32), I stated that I intended to have 25-30 people at the celebration, which was including myself. On the first round of invites that were sent out, I only received 18 yes RSVPs.
I'm not really sure the number of people matter, although that number certainly will cause the individual impact of each guest to be heard/felt exponentially. One question to you (and perhaps you've already answered, although that is unclear), did you discuss the potential maximum number of guests (up to 30) when you first called central reservations to put this together (you said you mentioned "small party" or "small gathering" or something along those lines) or did that first come up a couple weeks ago when you began speaking to the W Insider (or some other time)?

Last edited by jibi; Apr 1, 2015 at 11:06 am
Old Apr 1, 2015, 11:53 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.4.2; en-us; LGL31L/V100 Build/KOT49I.L31L10d) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Chrome/30.0.1599.103 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Originally Posted by jibi
I also think that I've been good about telling both sides of the story (although I don't really understand the hotel's argument), I think I was really reasonable to not include the names of hotel employees on this thread, which could have potentially hindered future career opportunities for them.
The fact that you do not understand their argument (and perhaps do not truly know their argument) is the basis of you not being able to tell both sides of the story. They could have decided to pull the rug simply because they needed the extra space. They could have decided that you came across as a prick who would likely not live up to your agreement to be polite and courteous to other guests. They could have decided that they simply did not want the potential liability. They could have decided that they should be able to make some additional money on an informal event at the hotel. None of these could be the reason they provided to you, of course, and thus you would be unable to tell their side of the story.

As for not including the person's name, it does not take much to take the title you provided multiple times - "W Insider" - and find the page on the W Union Square website with her profile on it. You may not have included it directly, but you did disclose enough information for anyone with basic knowledge of a search engine or the ability to browse a website to discover the real name of the employee. I don't believe that was directed at me (as I don't care one way or the other), but just as an FYI on the courtesy you were providing to her...

I really resent that fact that you continue to say 30+ (in some previous posts you've said 32), I stated that I intended to have 25-30 people at the celebration, which was including myself. On the first round of invites that were sent out, I only received 18 yes RSVPs.
I'm not really sure the number of people matter, although that number certainly will cause the individual impact of each guest to be heard/felt exponentially. One question to you (and perhaps you've already answered, although that is unclear), did you discuss the potential maximum number of guests (up to 30) when you first called central reservations to put this together (you said you mentioned "small party" or "small gathering" or something along those lines) or did that first come up a couple weeks ago when you began speaking to the W Insider (or some other time)?
Thank you jibi for your posts on this thread. Are you the GM or an employee of this W Hotel?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.4.2; en-us; LGL31L/V100 Build/KOT49I.L31L10d) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Chrome/30.0.1599.103 Mobile Safari/537.36)

Thank you jibi for your posts on this thread. Are you the GM or an employee of this W Hotel?
Considering it says I live in Atlanta and you can read my past posts on this and other forums, I think it is obvious. I just don't care to give completely credit to the OP's side of the story... and I'm apparently one of the people who cares to get a decent night of sleep when I stay at a hotel. I've had quite a few memorable stays when people decided to have hotel room parties across or down the hall and foot traffic was beyond annoying when most people were calling it a night. I've even hosted said parties when I was much younger... and I can tell you that older 35-year old "Jibi" can definitely see how much of an inconsiderate a**hole younger 18-year old "Jibi" was when he hosted a hotel room party.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
They could have been abducted by aliens and replaced with replicants.

As for not including the person's name, it does not take much to take the title you provided multiple times - "W Insider" - and find the page on the W Union Square website with her profile on it. You may not have included it directly, but you did disclose enough information for anyone with basic knowledge of a search engine or the ability to browse a website to discover the real name of the employee.
That doesn't matter; applying for a job, they might google your name, they certainly won't examine every post on every board that might be about you in order to determine if it really was.

I'm not really sure the number of people matter, although that number certainly will cause the individual impact of each guest to be heard/felt exponentially.
I'm really sure that the word "exponentially" doesn't mean what you think it does.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
I'm really sure that the word "exponentially" doesn't mean what you think it does.
One person in a room makes a certain amount of noise. Two people in a room make more noise. Three people in a room make more noise. So on and so forth. As more and more guests arrive in a single room, the number of separate conversations grows and groups naturally form. Natural social patterns will cause noise levels to increase, exponentially. ^
Old Apr 1, 2015, 7:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
One person in a room makes a certain amount of noise. Two people in a room make more noise. Three people in a room make more noise. So on and so forth. As more and more guests arrive in a single room, the number of separate conversations grows and groups naturally form. Natural social patterns will cause noise levels to increase, exponentially. ^
And yet the property was fine with this, so long as OP paid $5000.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:17 pm
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Sorry OP, I meant no offence. But if you invite 30 people, you have to factor in that they might all come!
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:43 pm
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Originally Posted by CLEguy
And yet the property was fine with this, so long as OP paid $5000.
As a number of us have written the $5000 quote was probably intended:

A) to make a price-sensitive visitor elect to cancel of his own volition, and
B) failing that, to allow the property to leave the rest of the floor unsold to minimise complaints from other guests.

This is not a case like the notorious St Regis bespoke suit one. The OP sounds like a nice guy who thinks - wrongly in my opinion - that a room booking entitles a person to host a party in it. I think a whole-floor booking might, with the property's explicit written consent.

I feel sorry for the OP but I am delighted that one of the outcomes is a clear affirmation of the no-party policy.

As far as I'm concerned, any gathering in a hotel room or suite containing more than double the maximum permitted number of registered guests for that room is anti-social and unacceptable.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 10:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've attended a number of parties for about 50 people in Starwood suites in major USA cities during large conventions. In some cases, the hosts procured alcohol off the property and brought it in and out of the hotel discretely, although the suite that I remember most was in the historic part of the Westin St Francis facing Union Square and I don't remember whether or not those hosts sourced the alcohol through the hotel's room service or banquet operations.

I also attended a similar sized gathering in a suite (with living room, dining room, and large parlor plus IIRC two bedrooms) at the Plaza (NYC) which was clearly catered by the hotel's F&B department with the blessing of hotel management. My impression was that the wine and passed heavy appetizers weren't outrageously expensive, but I didn't see the bill.

Personally, I've hosted perhaps a dozen considerate people for pre dinner drinks (supplied by me) in suites at the Westin Michigan Avenue (Chicago) and the Grand Hotel (not SPG) in Stockholm.

Plus I've participated in FT DO parties in Hyatt suites in at least three countries as well as the Sheraton Libertador's Presidential Suite in Buenos Aires. All of these events were self catered and had mostly drinks with little food.

There's a annual post-party party in a suite at a Westin I know, implicitly with very much the blessing of management. The host and guests supply the wine. This follows a large charity event in the hotel for which the hotel is a co-sponsor. Everyone seems well behaved and I've never heard of this group causing much trouble.

So I would disagree that hotels generally don't permit parties in suites, although I know one Starwood hotel that explicitly prohibits it--by strictly limiting the number of people that may be in the room or suite at any time--and threatens to charge penalty fees if guests of guests ever cause any other guests to complain. (My impression is that this place really means it and does enforce the rules.)

Thus IME the rules aren't so obvious or uniform across hotels. Still, I can very much understand the W Union Square being very concerned about 25-30 guests for a 25th birthday party with 100% self catering, including alcohol.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Apr 1, 2015 at 10:17 pm
Old Apr 2, 2015, 1:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plt
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 5.0.2; HTC6525LVW Build/LRX22G) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/41.0.2272.96 Mobile Safari/537.36)

That's not exponential growth but linear growth. Google it.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by BobbySteel
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry8700c: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 5.0.2; HTC6525LVW Build/LRX22G) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/41.0.2272.96 Mobile Safari/537.36)

That's not exponential growth but linear growth. Google it.
Wrong.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
I consider that proof that you don't understand what "exponentially" means.

Hint: if each person got twice as loud when there were twice as many people in the room (so, overall 4 times as loud) that would be merely quadratic growth. For exponential growth, each person would have to get twice as loud for each additional person, and human vocal cords aren't up to the task.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 2:18 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond

Hint: if each person got twice as loud when there were twice as many people in the room (so, overall 4 times as loud) that would be merely quadratic growth. For exponential growth, each person would have to get twice as loud for each additional person, and human vocal cords aren't up to the task.
good to know, but......

Another stupid tangent. Not tangentially stupid. Actually full-on stupid.

Time to close this thread?
Old Apr 3, 2015, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by clublounger

good to know, but......

Not time to close thread its time to jump the shark and take this thread in a new direction while we wait for OP to report back after his big bday bash.
Old Apr 3, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: SPG, Rapid Rewards, HHonors.
Originally Posted by clublounger
good to know, but......

Not until we find out where the party is being moved to, so we can crash it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.