Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2015 : *now 20% off*; Success, failure & discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Signed-in FT members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost.

What is the Best Rate Guarantee (BRG ?)
If a lower rate at a Starwood Hotel is made available on a non-Starwood website or non-Starwood mobile application, upon its receipt of a claim that satisfies these Best Rate Guarantee terms and conditions, Starwood will honor that Competing Rate and provide the individual that submitted the valid claim one of the following rewards: (1) an additional 20% discount off the Competing Rate per room per night (up to a maximum of three rooms); or (2) 2,000 Starwood Preferred Guest® Starpoints® per room per stay (up to a maximum of three rooms).

BRG Wiki on Flyertalk

• You cannot BRG against a rate on a Starwood Website/App (hot escapes, promos, Gov. Rate etc.). It has to be a 3rd party website/App.
• Cancellation policy has no bearing on a BRG claim with one exception if the rate difference is within 1%.
"Starwood may deny claims where the difference between the Competing Rate and the rate on the Starwood Website is less than one percent; provided that Starwood will not use the fact that the difference between the Competing Rate and the rate on the Starwood Website is less than one percent to deny such claims if the cancellation policy for the Competing Rate is more favorable to the guest than the cancellation policy for the rate on the Starwood Website."
A valid Starwood website reservation is required to submit a BRG (only exception is when there is no availability on the Starwood website)
• Only one claim may be submitted per reservation number (If your first claim is denied, you may submit a new claim for that reservation if you find another lower rate after you receive the denial email)
• Make sure to book a flexible rate on SPG.com. This will allow you to then cancel this booking if you find a lower Starwood rate later (like the hot escapes etc.) or if your travel plans change.
• You can BRG with a flexible rate against a prepaid rate. In other words, if expedia is offering a room for $100 prepaid, and spg.com shows a prepaid room for $150 or a flexible room for $200, you can book the FLEXIBLE spg.com rate and BRG it against the PREPAID $100 expedia rate. And you will receive the flexible cancel terms if the BRG is approved.
• If your comparable rate includes extras like breakfast or parking, make sure there is a room available on spg.com that includes the exact amenities. If there is the same room type with the same amenities on SPG.com, they will compare and if lower on third party, the claim may be approved for the room type and with the amenities. If there is the same room type available but no/different amenities offered, the claim may still be approved, but the rate will be room only.
• Room types must be the same for a BRG.
• If you have an approved and finalized claim and you find an even cheaper rate later, then you may submit a new BRG claim that is not connected to any existing reservation. If this BRG claim is approved, you will need to make a new flexible reservation on SPG.com. Once the process is completed, you will then email the BRG desk to cancel your first reservation, if it is within the cancellation deadline.
• If you find availability for the room type you want on a third party website/app but there is no availability for that room type or no availability for any room type on the Starwood Website, then this may be an approved claim if it meets all other terms and conditions. You will need to make sure that you specify the room type you actually want on the Starwood Website section and enter 0 in the rate and currency. This will ensure that the processing associates know that the room type you want is not available on the Starwood Website. You may also add additional comments near the end of the claim form indicating that there is no availability on the Starwood Website to help clarify.

Differing currencies
• "The Best Rate Guarantee department will approve a claim if there is a difference of 2.5% or greater where the currencies are different or a difference of 1% or greater if the currencies are the same."

Link to T&C
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/bestrate/terms.html

Practicalities During/After Stay
• Reconfirm your rate at check-in; normally the hotel will have the correct BRG rate in your reservation, but sometimes you will need to remind them.
• If you choose points, they will be credited after the stay; check in one week to see if they have posted. If not contact the BRG office to arrange to have them posted.

How to add a SNA to a BRG reservation
• Click on your stays to view our your current reservation
• Look for your BRG reservation and click on "send confirmation" link for the BRG reservation
• reload the page and you should be able to now select "apply SNA to this stay" link
Print Wikipost

Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2015 : *now 20% off*; Success, failure & discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2015, 5:26 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
i managed to get the low rate too, but only by clicking through kayak.sg

i also tried going through kayak.com instead of .sg and got rates of 2727thb on kayak and booking.com.

You should send in a new brg claim using kayak.com instead, chopchop.

As for the kayak.sg one, in future you can add in the comments section the steps you had to take (click-through etc). You might get it approved that way. Ymmv
good idea! ^^
Old Jun 11, 2015, 6:51 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond SPG Plat Hyatt Diamond
Hotel Name: Sheraton Clayton St. Louis
Dates: July 2015, 2 Nights
Number of Adults : 2
Number of Rooms : 1
Starwood Room Type : Two Queen Bed
Starwood Rate : USD 128
Competing Website : Hotels.com
Competing rate : 71.85
BRG Reward : 2000 Points
Actual confirmed rate: USD 71.85

Hotels.com has tons of blow out pricing/dates for this hotel if you need a St. Louis stay anytime in the future.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Well, that is unusual. I'd say 9/10 BRGs change to $1 or 1 Euro for me. Anyhow, don't feel you need to cancel anything. It will work itself out.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 7:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Out of all the BRGs I've done, I actually did have one hotel charge me $1.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 8:05 pm

I actually had a BRG claim for around $100, and when they charged me they ended up only charging my credit card ~$5 like this. I sent them an email about this issue, cause I saw someone mention this recently here. I also asked for the 2k ponts because those didn't post either. They responded and didn't say much, and it actually sounded like this rate was correct... I ended up getting the points but they have not charged me the adjusted price(been a few weeks now). Not sure what the next move is, and if I should email again. Might just let them figure this out since I already responded.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 2:10 am

I am also puzzled by this question.
I have a reservation made through the dub li and then adjusted by hotelsdotcom BRG.
Most likely the bonus will be canceled, but I have little hope ..
Clarity will come in a couple of months ))

Originally Posted by jix
Does BRG work with cashback rebate sites? If so, are there any working ones?

That is, once BRG is approved, if I book through referral click on spg.com and then get it BRG adjusted to lower rate, does one still earn the rebate after the stay?

I've tried one with mrrebates.com but nothing has posted since my stay weeks ago.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
just came across something really strange....got approved for a brg in new york for about 10 days later....got my confirmation email & it says the reservation is now non-refundable....is that supposed to be right????the rate i booked on spg before i sent in the claim had a cancellation policy of 2 days prior so shouldn't it be the same with the brg rate????
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, AS MVPG, SPG PLAT 100
On at least 3 occasions Element Miami Airport front desk believed BRG claim was a (free night) award stay and wouldn't charge me and could only produce a $0 folio. Had to go thru BRG desk after the fact to get charged, points credit and folio for travel expenses.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Keyser
just came across something really strange....got approved for a brg in new york for about 10 days later....got my confirmation email & it says the reservation is now non-refundable....is that supposed to be right????the rate i booked on spg before i sent in the claim had a cancellation policy of 2 days prior so shouldn't it be the same with the brg rate????

There's been some discussion up thread about this.

It's happened to me twice before, Westin Bali and Moana Surfrider. In both cases, I was pretty sure I was keeping the reservations, and I did, so I didn't raise a stink. If I wanted to cancel the reservations, I would just contact the BRG group.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: DL-PM, TK-Elite, AA-lifetime gold, SPG-Plat
Hotel Name: Sheraton Hua Hin Resort & Spa
Arrival Date: Aug, 2015 for 5 nights
Number of Adults : 2
Number of Rooms : 1
Room Type: Deluxe Pool Access w/breakfast
Starwood Brand Web Site Nightly Rate: 8500 THB + taxes (10004 THB)
Competing website: TUI.com
Competing nightly rate : 102 € including taxes (4640 THB)
Actual confirmed nightly rate: 3125 THB + taxes (after brg 20% discount)
Old Jun 12, 2015, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by margarita girl
There's been some discussion up thread about this.

It's happened to me twice before, Westin Bali and Moana Surfrider. In both cases, I was pretty sure I was keeping the reservations, and I did, so I didn't raise a stink. If I wanted to cancel the reservations, I would just contact the BRG group.
i'm pretty sure i'm going to keep the reservation so i'm not going to say anything right now....just thought that this was strange....
Old Jun 12, 2015, 7:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KosherKimchee
On at least 3 occasions Element Miami Airport front desk believed BRG claim was a (free night) award stay and wouldn't charge me and could only produce a $0 folio. Had to go thru BRG desk after the fact to get charged, points credit and folio for travel expenses.
It's not BRG causing this. That property does it to corporate SET rates as well.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Keyser
got my confirmation email & it says the reservation is now non-refundable....is that supposed to be right?
Don't you prefer to make bookings after your claims are approved?
If you compared against a non-refundable OTA rate and a newbie team member processed this one, I can actually see it happening.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MichaelJapan
Don't you prefer to make bookings after your claims are approved?
If you compared against a non-refundable OTA rate and a newbie team member processed this one, I can actually see it happening.
i actually did make this reservation after the claim was approved....

it wasn't a newbie team member....i just checked my brg email & it was an agent who has processed a number of claims for me in the past....
Old Jun 13, 2015, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by margarita girl
so here is an update....i found a much cheaper rate yesterday at the same property so i decided to go ahead & cancel the brg rate....

i got in touch with the brg team who assured me that this was a mistake & she would get in touch with the hotel to get the reservation cancelled....she emailed me back later in the day to let me know that due to some technical difficulty she has not been able to get in touch with the hotel but has sent them an email & i would hear back from them directly....

about an hour ago i got an email from the front office manager letting me know that all brg rates are supposed to be non refundable & therefore he cannot cancel the reservation without a penalty....instead of replying to that email, i called him instead to explain that the reservation was never meant to be non-refundable & i have had (& continue to have) many brg reservations & none of them have ever been non-refundable....he eventually agreed to cancel the reservation as a 'one time courtesy'....

in the end i got the result i was looking for but this situation should never have occurred in the first place....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.