Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2015 : *now 20% off*; Success, failure & discussion thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2015, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: TravelinSperry
Signed-in FT members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost.

What is the Best Rate Guarantee (BRG ?)
If a lower rate at a Starwood Hotel is made available on a non-Starwood website or non-Starwood mobile application, upon its receipt of a claim that satisfies these Best Rate Guarantee terms and conditions, Starwood will honor that Competing Rate and provide the individual that submitted the valid claim one of the following rewards: (1) an additional 20% discount off the Competing Rate per room per night (up to a maximum of three rooms); or (2) 2,000 Starwood Preferred Guest® Starpoints® per room per stay (up to a maximum of three rooms).

BRG Wiki on Flyertalk

• You cannot BRG against a rate on a Starwood Website/App (hot escapes, promos, Gov. Rate etc.). It has to be a 3rd party website/App.
• Cancellation policy has no bearing on a BRG claim with one exception if the rate difference is within 1%.
"Starwood may deny claims where the difference between the Competing Rate and the rate on the Starwood Website is less than one percent; provided that Starwood will not use the fact that the difference between the Competing Rate and the rate on the Starwood Website is less than one percent to deny such claims if the cancellation policy for the Competing Rate is more favorable to the guest than the cancellation policy for the rate on the Starwood Website."
A valid Starwood website reservation is required to submit a BRG (only exception is when there is no availability on the Starwood website)
• Only one claim may be submitted per reservation number (If your first claim is denied, you may submit a new claim for that reservation if you find another lower rate after you receive the denial email)
• Make sure to book a flexible rate on SPG.com. This will allow you to then cancel this booking if you find a lower Starwood rate later (like the hot escapes etc.) or if your travel plans change.
• You can BRG with a flexible rate against a prepaid rate. In other words, if expedia is offering a room for $100 prepaid, and spg.com shows a prepaid room for $150 or a flexible room for $200, you can book the FLEXIBLE spg.com rate and BRG it against the PREPAID $100 expedia rate. And you will receive the flexible cancel terms if the BRG is approved.
• If your comparable rate includes extras like breakfast or parking, make sure there is a room available on spg.com that includes the exact amenities. If there is the same room type with the same amenities on SPG.com, they will compare and if lower on third party, the claim may be approved for the room type and with the amenities. If there is the same room type available but no/different amenities offered, the claim may still be approved, but the rate will be room only.
• Room types must be the same for a BRG.
• If you have an approved and finalized claim and you find an even cheaper rate later, then you may submit a new BRG claim that is not connected to any existing reservation. If this BRG claim is approved, you will need to make a new flexible reservation on SPG.com. Once the process is completed, you will then email the BRG desk to cancel your first reservation, if it is within the cancellation deadline.
• If you find availability for the room type you want on a third party website/app but there is no availability for that room type or no availability for any room type on the Starwood Website, then this may be an approved claim if it meets all other terms and conditions. You will need to make sure that you specify the room type you actually want on the Starwood Website section and enter 0 in the rate and currency. This will ensure that the processing associates know that the room type you want is not available on the Starwood Website. You may also add additional comments near the end of the claim form indicating that there is no availability on the Starwood Website to help clarify.

Differing currencies
• "The Best Rate Guarantee department will approve a claim if there is a difference of 2.5% or greater where the currencies are different or a difference of 1% or greater if the currencies are the same."

Link to T&C
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/bestrate/terms.html

Practicalities During/After Stay
• Reconfirm your rate at check-in; normally the hotel will have the correct BRG rate in your reservation, but sometimes you will need to remind them.
• If you choose points, they will be credited after the stay; check in one week to see if they have posted. If not contact the BRG office to arrange to have them posted.

How to add a SNA to a BRG reservation
• Click on your stays to view our your current reservation
• Look for your BRG reservation and click on "send confirmation" link for the BRG reservation
• reload the page and you should be able to now select "apply SNA to this stay" link
Print Wikipost

Best Rate Guarantee (BRG) 2015 : *now 20% off*; Success, failure & discussion thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2015, 4:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by margarita girl
To see your reservation online, click on Preferences under the reservation, then SAVE. Go back to your reservations again and you should be able to see the details.
this method stopped working for me a while back....i had to cancel a brg reservation over the weekend so i called platinum concierge since my ambassador was not available....they told me they could not cancel it since it was a brg reservation & they would have to contact the brg team....almost 48 hours later it was still not canceled so i sent an email myself to the brg team....they responded 45 minutes later to confirm the reservation had been cancelled....

its such a pain now to cancel a brg reservation....i wish they hadn't changed the old workaround....
Old Nov 10, 2015, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by generikz
I did.. But BRG is USA-based and sleeps while Asia is up. On the customer phone service # they told me the BRG rate was in the booking but for other details I should write to best.rate@ directly. I also did and the ...
There are BRG agents in Cork, Ireland and somewhere in India.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:37 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
There are BRG agents in Cork, Ireland and somewhere in India.
Peru as well.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 8:37 am

Programs: Accor Plus Plat, Marriot Plat, AF Silver
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Peru as well.
Wow, that's spookily right on spot.

Got a Peru phone call tonight (a first time for me) but during a classical concert. I couldn't take the call. Maybe the BRG team?

Given the names on the BRG replies, I would say Canada - Ireland - Canada.

I have no problem with Starwood putting constraints on getting a BRG approved. You get a better price, they get a more reliable cash flow.

But they cannot invent rules as they go, apply lightly their own T&Cs and generate random deposit values out of a magician hat and expect everyone to cave in and fork USD 10K happily. At least they should have something like:

- Your BRG was approved
- These are the new booking conditions
- You have 24h to agree or keep your existing booking
- Have a nice day

At least you'd know what you're signing up for.

What makes no sense to me is that, in the case of a pre-paid rate, they would refund the rate difference (FAQ Item #8), adjusting it to the BRG rate. That sounds reasonable.

Now comes a flexi rate, they decide the pre-paid deposit is now... let's say 3 times. No 5 times. OK let's be generous, let's say 6 times the cost of the full stay. That will surely make our customers really happy. They love throwing cash at us.

Then you actually stay at the hotel and then what... they refund you 5 times the cost of the stay at the end?

I really fail to see the logic behind the booking conditions they gave me.

Please know we must uphold the terms of our program to make this a fair process for all of our guests. In future when a claim is approved we will follow the cancellation set by the rate plan of the property.
Then... if the decision process is hotel-dependent, how can we anticipate anything? I don't like giving blank cheques away.

Julien
Old Nov 10, 2015, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Keyser
this method stopped working for me a while back....i had to cancel a brg reservation over the weekend so i called platinum concierge since my ambassador was not available....they told me they could not cancel it since it was a brg reservation & they would have to contact the brg team....almost 48 hours later it was still not canceled so i sent an email myself to the brg team....they responded 45 minutes later to confirm the reservation had been cancelled....

its such a pain now to cancel a brg reservation....i wish they hadn't changed the old workaround....
I've also had problems not being able to bring back a couple of reservations. This post from FozBoy was bang on for what my issue was though.

Originally Posted by FozBoy
It was never a "fix" per se, but rather a workaround. Not being able to see a BRG reservation is an intentional and deliberate fixture of the website. Starwood doesn't want one to be able to cancel or modify online a BRG reservation. Anything that's got to do with a BRG booking should go through a CCS. That's why when a reservation is adjusted to a BRG rate the system automatically makes it a "complex reservation, sorry you can't view it" on their website. This is not a glitch, rather this is the way the website is programmed to act.

Glitch was being able to see the reservation after clicking the "send confirmation" link.

Another workaround, and so far still available, is clicking on stay preferences, setting a new preference and then saving. However, this workaround doesn't work if a Your24 request has been submitted.

If a Your24 request has been declined you can simply withdraw the request (set it back to "TBD/I don't know"), save the new preferences and then the reservation will become visible again. If you want to cancel it online, first withdraw the request, save preferences, and then you can choose the cancellation link.

If a Your24 request was approved there's no workaround to view the reservation's details online, unless one is willing to withdraw the request and then resubmit it.

However, I'm sure that the IT dept will eventually get rid of this glitch as well.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 5:57 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Hotel Name: Vana Belle, a Luxury Collection Resort, Koh Samui
Dates : 3 nights in July 2016
Number of Adults :2
Room Type On Reservation: Classic pool suite, non-smoking
Rate On Reservation : THB 28050.0
Competing Website : easyclicktravel.com
Competing rate : USD 1242.12
Comments : found competing website via Kayak.com. breakfast included. all taxes and fees included.
BRG Reward : twentyPercent
Actual confirmed rate: 9,921.55 THB plus taxes and service charge, per night (12,401.94 THB less 20%)
Old Nov 11, 2015, 7:24 pm

Programs: Accor Plus Plat, Marriot Plat, AF Silver
Then... if the decision process is hotel-dependent, how can we anticipate anything? I don't like giving blank cheques away.
Final update: BRG rates now shows up on the booking confirmation online and the hotel advised that they are going to charge (as "prepaid") my credit card for the full stay (at BRG rates, and not the bogus amount showing up in the booking conditions).

Maybe the Wiki should be updated accordingly?

• Make sure to book a flexible rate on SPG.com. This will allow you to then cancel this booking if you find a lower Starwood rate later (like the hot escapes etc.) or if your travel plans change. <= not true anymore
• You can BRG with a flexible rate against a prepaid rate. In other words, if expedia is offering a room for $100 prepaid, and spg.com shows a prepaid room for $150 or a flexible room for $200, you can book the FLEXIBLE spg.com rate and BRG it against the PREPAID $100 expedia rate. And you will receive the flexible cancel terms if the BRG is approved. <= Not true, depends on which hotel you are BRG'ing against, and you can't know in advance what is their local policy on BRG
Julien
Old Nov 11, 2015, 7:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Maybe the Wiki should be updated accordingly?
For 99% of all properties, the Wiki is still accurate. It's impossible to address the outliers, as there will always be properties that don't play the game by the rules.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
For 99% of all properties, the Wiki is still accurate. It's impossible to address the outliers, as there will always be properties that don't play the game by the rules.

However, I've BRGed this particular property (W Bali) multiple times, and have never encountered this issue...
Old Nov 12, 2015, 3:31 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
However, I've BRGed this particular property (W Bali) multiple times, and have never encountered this issue...
FWIW, I've had reservations changed to non-refundable/non-changeable twice with Westin Bali, and once with LM Jimbaran. The latter also took prepayment of some $300/nt (when the BRG rate was <$100/nt); this was sorted out on arrival.

I would think that if the hotel changes your reservation to non-refundable, both SPG and your credit card company would side with you if you have to cancel and ask that your original terms be enforced.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ditto for me at Westin Bali!
Old Nov 12, 2015, 3:50 am

Originally Posted by jpdx
FWIW, I've had reservations changed to non-refundable/non-changeable twice with Westin Bali, and once with LM Jimbaran. The latter also took prepayment of some $300/nt (when the BRG rate was <$100/nt); this was sorted out on arrival.

I would think that if the hotel changes your reservation to non-refundable, both SPG and your credit card company would side with you if you have to cancel and ask that your original terms be enforced.
Ditto for me at Westin Bali!

That's good to hear, in the sense that it has happened before. But based on what the BRG team wrote to the OP, it doesn't sound like SPG would side with the guest if your original terms had to be enforced.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 2:48 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
their T&C's determines this rule. Just point that out to their T&C that the rate requires a membership. That's what I did when they approved my claim.

When you click the rate on spg.com it will prompt you to sign in.
Hotel Name: Four Points Bogota
Arrival Date: Jan 25, 2015
Departure Date: Jan 26, 2015
Number of Rooms : 1
Room Type: Standard
Starwood Room Rate : 90$ (lowest prepaid rate that does not require spg membership)
OTA: hotelscombined (Agoda)
Competing rate : 77$

Rate denied: Reason hotscapes "member only" rate of 72.6$ available. Phoned in, am told they recently changed policy that lowest rate including spg "members only" is now included when comparing OTA rates.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 11:04 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Latest revision of the T&Cs: November 06, 2015

I haven't fully read it but there's some new additions including the 'SPG Partner Hotels' term which is currently referring to the new Design Hotels.

Basically only the lowest available rate counts, so it looks like room type doesn't matter?

For SPG Partner Hotels, the Best Rate Guarantee only applies to reservations booked at the lowest available rate available at the SPG Partner Hotel on a Starwood Website at the time of booking.

Not sure if this is new.

Starwood may at any time and without notice terminate or restrict a person’s ability to submit a claim under or otherwise benefit from the Best Rate Guarantee, if in its sole discretion Starwood determines that such person has: (1) acted in a manner inconsistent with applicable laws or ordinances; (2) acted in a fraudulent or abusive manner, (3) submitted multiple invalid Best Rate Guarantee claims; (4) failed to stay at the applicable Starwood Hotels or SPG Partner Hotels after receiving approved Best Rate Guarantee Claims; or (5) breached any of these BRG Terms.

This portion clarifies the part about the less than 1% rate difference rule.

Starwood may deny claims where the difference between the Competing Rate and the rate on the Starwood Website is less than one percent; provided that Starwood will not use the fact that the difference between the Competing Rate and the rate on the Starwood Website is less than one percent to deny such claims if the cancellation policy for the Competing Rate is more favorable to the guest than the cancellation policy for the rate on the Starwood Website.

It seems the claim form is updated to a much cleaner interface. ^
Old Nov 13, 2015, 12:38 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
Hotel Name: Sheraton Hua Hin Pranburi Villas
Date : 1 night in late November 2015
Number of Adults :2
Room Type: Pool Villa with breakfast
Starwood Rate : THB 8239
Competing Website : booking.com
Competing rate : USD 195.15
Comments : all taxes and fees included. breakfast included.
BRG Reward : twentyPercent
Actual confirmed rate: 4,799.21 THB plus taxes and service charge (5,999.01 THB less 20%)

later, i wanted to add 1 more night to my stay so i did another brg claim for another consecutive night. surprisingly they also approved it with the exact same rate of the first night. (4799.21)

noted that i did these two brg claims since early september 2015.

Last edited by 3rdworldresident; Nov 13, 2015 at 4:25 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.