Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 15, 2014, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
The new version of spg.com, launched 15 October.

Bugs

Comments
Print Wikipost

New SPG website design, launched 15 Oct 2014

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2014, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JK
Oxon Flyer - You have to contact them to amend your title field I'm afraid...
Can I change the title to anything I want? I'm partial to "Grand Poobah" myself.
Old Oct 16, 2014, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by stimpy
It is kind of bizarre, but Starwood has always hosted its images at Akamai or other ad-based sites rather than their own website. And as most ad-blockers block Akamai, and most corporate PC's use an ad-blocker, that means that most corporate workers cannot see the images at SPG.com. I complained about this long ago, but was told here that its just the way it is and they are not going to change. I guess there must be some reason, but I think it is self-defeating.
I can scroll down and see points, YTD stays/nights, upcoming stay, etc., etc., but all below a big empty space. Note on the right of the screen shot, it scrolls down about 5 more screeens worth - just nothing at the top.

Yep - it's a filter thing - looks fine in IE. Ghostery tells me there are 9 different trackers on the page, so I guess I'll figure out what loads what, and then figure out whether some color is worth being tracked.

EDIT - it's "Atlas - Advertising, Cookie Respawning". I'm not sure I want to be respawned, so maybe I'll enjoy the whitespace.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by CPRich
I can scroll down and see points, YTD stays/nights, upcoming stay, etc., etc., but all below a big empty space. Note on the right of the screen shot, it scrolls down about 5 more screeens worth - just nothing at the top.

Yep - it's a filter thing - looks fine in IE. Ghostery tells me there are 9 different trackers on the page, so I guess I'll figure out what loads what, and then figure out whether some color is worth being tracked.

EDIT - it's "Atlas - Advertising, Cookie Respawning". I'm not sure I want to be respawned, so maybe I'll enjoy the whitespace.
Anyone can see where it's hosted, just point at the top picture and right click and select "open image in a new tab" or some such option, and you will see that the image is hosted at Akamai.

And you are right, you don't want your cookies respawned. Sounds gross!

Here's an short study on the subject. http://www.mysecurecyberspace.com/ar...espawning.html
Old Oct 17, 2014, 3:49 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Overnight, the name on the opening page has changed from "Mr./Mrs." to "First Name/Last Name". A positive!
Old Oct 17, 2014, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Yes! And some more changes. The customer support page selection bar for country now displays the correct number, at least for France. And they have removed the telephone number from the My Stays page. However when I click on my name from the home page, and the menu drops down showing "Manage my account" etc., it still shows the US telephone number.

And I don't know if Starwood should display the numbers for the Gold and Platinum line to the whole world? No matter what country I choose, even the US, it shows the Preferred, Gold and Platinum telephone numbers.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 4:33 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Originally Posted by stimpy
Yes! And some more changes. The customer support page selection bar for country now displays the correct number, at least for France.
and still says :

Throughout null you may call:
  • Preferred Guest
  • Gold Preferred Guest
  • Platinum Preferred Guest

Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by controller1
Overnight, the name on the opening page has changed from "Mr./Mrs." to "First Name/Last Name". A positive!
Yeah, that's an improvement. If SPG really wanted to improve the new website, they should offer the option to make it look like the OLD website, kinda like that cr@p of Windows 8 finally giving you the option of reverting back to a traditional desktop.

I really do not get why so many companies are putting out just downright awful user interfaces. What's the rationale for cluttering everything with useless boxes on the screen? Why require the user to click through 8 times to find information that should be front and center upon logging on?

The old spg.com was one of my favorite websites. I spent a lot of time on it searching for hotels, room types, deals, etc. This new interface is such a turn off that I find myself logging out after taking care of the bare minimum essential stuff in a couple of minutes.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 2:44 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Plat
I do like in the Starpoints activity that it shows more details on what properties are posting which stays/nights. Now chasing down missing nights/stays is easier.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 7:57 pm

Programs: SPG,HH,IHG
Security issue at login
Auto checked box at "save for next visit "
I's not safe

Last edited by nongsom; Oct 17, 2014 at 8:11 pm
Old Oct 18, 2014, 6:43 am

Programs: AAdvantage, QFF, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by Okto
The old spg.com was one of my favorite websites. I spent a lot of time on it searching for hotels, room types, deals, etc. This new interface is such a turn off .
Totally agree.
The old site worked, the new site is ummmmm ...
Old Oct 18, 2014, 8:17 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
The new SPG website looks great. It has a refreshed look. That is great until.. one tries to navigate. Wow, the new web site sure is slow. When I visit the SPG site, I am looking for information, to confirm or edit information, or to conduct a transaction. The new web site seems too busy. At this time, the new changes don't seem completely worth it. Although the previous site wasn't perfect, I prefer the old one to the new one.
Old Oct 18, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
Oh by the way.. there is a very creepy feature from the new SPG web site. If signed in and researching rates for a particular location, an email from Starwood will follow, with a subject "There's still time to finish your booking for xxx".

The email then states with a comment "Come back to complete your booking. Our Best Guarantee is waiting". This is followed by a button link to "Complete Booking".

The message than follows with "It looks like you left without completing your booking. You will always get the best available rate at Starwood Hotels when you book on our sites, and earn StarpointsŪ for your stay."

These emails are offensive. It is like Starwood is recording every action while one is logged in (I'm sure previous web sites did this too), and sending messages based on one's navigation. I find Email messages like this an invasion of privacy. This is not a promotional email, and I still want to receive notification on promotions. How does one make these messages stop other than to never login for research?
Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:49 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
At least the "Mr./Mrs." problem has gone away for me, and the homepage now just shows my entire name.

-FlyerBeek
Old Oct 18, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
William and other Lurkers, it may be a good idea to have StarwoodUX post in here about the new features, design logic, etc. of the website... *hint* *hint*
Old Oct 19, 2014, 1:44 am

The only "logic" here is to make it touch-screen friendly as if everyone in the world is using touch-screen now. Another "logic" is to make it look like an app rather than a traditional website, because well, "app is all the thrills" nowadays. Looks like SPG caught the Microsoft bug - create something exclusively with the mentality of touch screen users and app feel (the travesty known as Windows 8)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.