Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Annual Category Change Announcement 2014 [effective March 4, 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2014, 2:14 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador, Marriott Gold
Why in the world is W San Francisco going up to Cat. 6? St. Regis SF is also Cat. 6 and it charges $150+/day more (I've been planning a trip to SF; on my dates, St. Regis is $515/nt, W - $356 for Lowest Standard Rates; similar difference between AAA rates).

Anyway, one change that will affect me the most is Sheraton Houston Brookhollow going from Cat. 2 to Cat. 3 It's still a better value on points than Sheraton Galleria or Aloft and I suspected the good days wouldn't last forever as it's charging similar daily rates as those Cat. 4 hotels.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 2:18 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Intercontinental Platinum, AA Gold
timeshare???? you do not belong here, haha. biggest rip off ever.

Originally Posted by SJChick
The upgrade in category of the Sheraton Waikiki, Sheraton Maui and Westin Maui is a crime. Seems like Starwood is taking advantage of the supply and demand situation in Hawaii; hotel rates there are off the charts. Glad we bought our timeshares at WKORV 13 years ago and I can now justify using the points to stay at the Royal Hawaiian and St. Regis Princeville.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 2:46 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by CLEguy
Thinking through the strategy here, I'd honestly be surprised if properties have much to do with it. Think of it this way. Properties are compensated one of two ways for award stays: marginal cost if not sold out, or at/near ADR if occupancy is 90-95%+.

So the hotel itself doesn't really care what its category is (or shouldn't at least). They're getting paid the same regardless. It's Starwood that cares, since they have to manage the number of points outstanding, the value of those points from a liability perspective, and how much their various partners pay to acquire the points.
It's 95% or better. I'm sure the hotel cares as they're not going to be at 95% most nights.
Anyway SPG uses some unknown formula for predicted ADR which I'm sure the hotels have influence on.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
Wow, anyone notice the Sheraton PV and Westin PV change places, Sheraton goes up and Westin goes down Weird.

Also, the Grande Bretagne in Athens goes up? In that economy....more strangeness.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 2:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by sbtinme
From where I'm sitting, the Westin Puerto Vallarta now becomes the best award value in North America. At a CAT 2, it's a steal.

Oddly enough, the Sheraton Buganvilias just down the road a few miles soars back up to a CAT 4, which is just astounding. Given that this dated monstrosity was still selling rooms the week before Christmas for $65, something smells awfully fishy. Outside of the very few true peak timeframes, this Sheraton can be had for rates in the $90-$110 range with astounding consistency. Go to slower times, and you'll see it in the $60s. If I were *wood, I'd be looking very close at the accounting at this property.
Totally agree. I would never use an award at the Sheraton PV at CAT 4, what a dump.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by soonerfanatic
Also, the Grande Bretagne in Athens goes up? In that economy....more strangeness.
It would seem that way, but there are currently many days this summer where the least expensive rate for the Grand Bretagne is well over US$400. I'm holding a cash and points reservation there for July and that now seems like a steal.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 3:16 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hilton Gold, RA, QF Gold, UA 1K

This is really not bad for Asia Westin Tokyo is going down which is great. However, Hawaii properties seem to all gone up now...
Old Feb 20, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by soonerfanatic
Wow, anyone notice the Sheraton PV and Westin PV change places, Sheraton goes up and Westin goes down Weird.
Wow! I did notice that the Sheraton went up but why the Westin went down? I always felt that their rooms are way better than the Sheraton's. Anyways this is good for me
Old Feb 20, 2014, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by SJChick
The upgrade in category of the Sheraton Waikiki, Sheraton Maui and Westin Maui is a crime. Seems like Starwood is taking advantage of the supply and demand situation in Hawaii; hotel rates there are off the charts. Glad we bought our timeshares at WKORV 13 years ago and I can now justify using the points to stay at the Royal Hawaiian and St. Regis Princeville.

Originally Posted by cybaslacka
timeshare???? you do not belong here, haha. biggest rip off ever.
Time and place for everything, even timeshares at the right price. A bit harsh for a new poster, no?

Welcome SJChick. Heading to the Sheraton Maui later this year - guess we picked a good time to sneak one in under the wire. ^
Old Feb 20, 2014, 3:28 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
Wow! I did notice that the Sheraton went up but why the Westin went down? I always felt that their rooms are way better than the Sheraton's. Anyways this is good for me
This has happened before -- more than once. Most recently, in 2012, the Sheraton was a CAT 4 and the Westin was a CAT 2.

For many, the location of the Sheraton is its strongest asset. If one enjoys being in the old city (and let's face it, that's where the action is and virtually all of the best dining experiences), the Sheraton's location is excellent.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 3:33 pm

Be careful about the "last minute changes" from SPG. Many hotels may suddenly decided to join the increased list or decided not to go down category list just like every other year.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 3:52 pm

UGHHHHH....this is a BIG hit for me as I primarily use my SPG points for the Beaver Creek properties. No Bueno. Combine that with Hyatt Devaluing the PHBC and it looks like I'm now investing in Choice Hotels points! (seriously...the comfort inn might be where I'm having to stay now).

Old Feb 20, 2014, 4:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by skimple
Nice move on the downgrade for Niagara Falls. Will likely make an extra weekend trip this year because of it. Hotels are OK, but a little run down.
+1. Cheap for a Canadian to go shopping to qualify for 48 hours customs duty exemption of $800 per person.^
Old Feb 20, 2014, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I'm really surprised with the Four Points Bay Bridge moving up. The rates there are typically quite low, so I have no idea where their average room rate is coming from.
It is nowhere near as "quite low" as in years' past. The place is frequently sold out, and on weeknights can top $200 if it is getting full. I haven't seen a weekend rate under $100 in ages.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by BlissWorld
For the Lurkers, if the hotel has not loaded award nights in 2015 but has standard rooms available for sale, are we able to make Platinum Concierge convert them into award nights?
I've had them do this before. They called it a "rack override." It seems like they book you at a rack rate and manually credit the points for payment.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.