Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Annual Category Change Announcement 2014 [effective March 4, 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Annual Category Change Announcement 2014 [effective March 4, 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2014, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by dcstudent
After perusing the list, I have to say that I'm ok with these changes. I understand the changes made to all of the hotels I stay at, except one. I'm very surprised that the Sheraton Baltimore City Center went up from a Cat 2 to a Cat 3. Rooms can be had during the week, often as low as $59.

I would've liked to see the Le Centre Sheraton Montreal drop to a 4 as it's rates are consistently lower than the Westin and W (Cat 5), but I'll live.

Considering the Sheraton Baltimore City Center didn't break 30% occupancy in 2013, it is a bit surprising that they would move up. But their ADR was over $100 which seems to be what category 3 designations are linked to.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 8:19 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by cabbate1
Considering the Sheraton Baltimore City Center didn't break 30% occupancy in 2013, it is a bit surprising that they would move up. But their ADR was over $100 which seems to be what category 3 designations are linked to.
Are category designations tied to ADR or RevPAR?
Old Feb 20, 2014, 8:20 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Actually, I'm not. In my mind, balancing that 1) Thailand is an incredibly popular tourist destination, 2) which right now and for the indefinite future is experiencing occasionally quite violent political unrest aimed at regime change, thus driving tourists away resulting in very low hotel occupancy rates, I had guessed that those factors would balance out to no net change.
I'm not surprised either. Although there is trouble, especially in Bangkok, I have yet to see any hotels drop their rates appreciably just to keep their hotels full.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 8:25 am

Thank you for the announcement. I appreciate the reasonableness of the changes and would like to thank you for solidifying my choice in making you my go-to hotel chain.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Not too bad...lots of China hotels going down just in time for my trip next fall
Old Feb 20, 2014, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by CLEguy
Are category designations tied to ADR or RevPAR?
You would think that they would be tied to RevPAR, but in reviewing the ADR and RevPAR of many of the US properties, it appears that the move is tied more to the ADR. They also make some changes for appearance sake within certain cities or following major renovations with the expectations of considerably better performance. But in general, the properties line up in categories based on the previous year's ADR. Certain highly seasonal markets like ski or beach destinations buck the trend as their ADRs range so wildly throughout the year.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 8:39 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, UA Silver
These are the most reasonable changes I have seen from starwood in the last five years. Except for a few surprises, I cant complain about this list. Lots of great properties in the Asias that have been nicely adjusted downward.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: AA ExP, Hyatt Diamond, MR Platinum, PC Platinum, SPG Platinum, HH Gold
Looks like the Strategy to build a bunch of hotels in China turned out to be very flawed.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
The St. Regis Rome jumping to a 7 is pretty surprising. For anyone that hasn't been, this place is very different from the other European St. Regis properties, and the rates usually reflect the lower quality. It's a solid hotel, but doesn't compare to the current Cat. 7 european properties unless they've done some serious renovations in the last year.

The annual flip flopping of the Westin and Sheraton in Puerto Vallarta is surprising as well. The Westin as a category 2 is one of the better redemption values in the system over the holiday periods IMO. The Sheraton as a Cat. 4 on the other hand, is probably never worth that many points.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 8:46 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by remymartin
Thanks for the heads up, Christopher & co!

I'm sad to see:
- St Regis Rome jump to Cat 7
It's a Cat 5 quality on a good day, so it wasn't worth it even at Cat 6 pricing. This just solidifies the fact that I'd never stay there again...
Old Feb 20, 2014, 8:50 am

As always, thanks for giving us some advance notice of the changes, Lurker IV. Based on a quick skim of the change list, this seems pretty mild compared to previous years.

Noteworthy:
  • Sheraton Shanghai Waigaoqiao Hotel drops 2 levels, from 3 to 1
  • Sheraton Huzhou Hot Spring Resort jumps 2 levels (4 to 6)
  • Sheraton Baltimore Washington Airport Hotel - BWI jumps 2 (2 to 4)
Old Feb 20, 2014, 8:58 am

Programs: UA, AA, Delta, HGP Diamond, HH Gold, Marriott, CC Gold, SPG
The drop in category for that many properties in China probably has to do with the government cracking down on officials staying at 5 star hotels. Only three properties went up. The Sheraton in Xian as a category 2 is nice. Stayed there in 2008. Staff was unbelievably helpful.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 8:59 am

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Nice list for Asia Pacific.

Looks like it's time to plan my 5 night award stay using the 25% discount gold gift. ^
Old Feb 20, 2014, 9:06 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by cabbate1
You would think that they would be tied to RevPAR, but in reviewing the ADR and RevPAR of many of the US properties, it appears that the move is tied more to the ADR. They also make some changes for appearance sake within certain cities or following major renovations with the expectations of considerably better performance. But in general, the properties line up in categories based on the previous year's ADR. Certain highly seasonal markets like ski or beach destinations buck the trend as their ADRs range so wildly throughout the year.
It's been discussed a few times in the past, and I'm pretty sure I remember that it is based on the hotel's ADR projections for the next year.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 9:10 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Eugh, not happy with Hawaii changes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.