Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is appropriate compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2014, 2:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LuisHK
Saw this thread late. If they're going to compensate via points you should ask for at least 60k - something they won't likely to agree.

Returning of the voucher and 16k sounds about right.
Can the SNA really be returned? I've been told no and I know a hotel rooms manager who was also told no by Starwood.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by LuisHK
Saw this thread late. If they're going to compensate via points you should ask for at least 60k - something they won't likely to agree.

Returning of the voucher and 16k sounds about right.
When they offered 16,000 points initially (no mention of SNA return), I told them no way. The difference between standard room and junior suite at their hotel is 16k/nt (32k for 2 nights), and the difference between St. Regis Suite and Grand Deluxe Suite is far greater in terms of $$$ than the difference between a junior suite and a standard room... to say nothing of the blatant lie to my face and/or loss of opportunity cost. So I countered with an offer of 64k.

They said they couldn't do that but they could do 16k + return of SNAs which I accepted.

I still don't love the result because, as I said, his is a major lost opportunity cost. I don't spend 10+ nights/yr in a St. Regis most years, so this was likely to be one of my best opportunities to "maximize" this benefit.

As I said, assuming the guest who got "our" suite also booked 2 nights, the hotel likely made about $3k from downgrading us...

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Can the SNA really be returned? I've been told no and I know a hotel rooms manager who was also told no by Starwood.
If they can't, then add "offering compensation they can't give" to the list of transgressions for this hotel's management!
Old Jan 22, 2014, 6:48 pm

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
I had something similar happen at a Hyatt property. Suite taken away, and "gave me" two connecting regular rooms!

Bull!

This is what I did...

1-cost of suite X
2-cost of room Y
3-Loss of suite Z (pain and suffering )

Y*2 - X + Z = CASH payment made to me!

I got ~810 pounds (was in London) for a 3 night stay. We became happy!
Old Jan 22, 2014, 8:05 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by wharvey
Except that it should have never happened.
Why do we have to fight all the time for our benefits?
My welcome letter from the Le Meridien Budapest, formerly one of my favourite properties, clearly states the following:

As a Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum Card holder you are receiving the following benefits in our hotel:

- Complimentary room upgrade on arrival (subject to availability)
- Welcome drink coupon
- Free wifi internet connection
- Late check out at 16.00 (upon availability)
- 20% discount for food in restaurant

So to the experience Plat members here on FT, there are 2 errors in this letter that clearly indicate to me that this properties Rooms Division Manager is out to lunch.

I have filed a complaint with CCS about this shenanigans and will post the result on the LM Budapest Master Thread as well. What a crock.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 12:58 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by PointWeasel
My welcome letter from the Le Meridien Budapest, formerly one of my favourite properties, clearly states the following:

As a Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum Card holder you are receiving the following benefits in our hotel:

- Complimentary room upgrade on arrival (subject to availability)
- Welcome drink coupon
- Free wifi internet connection
- Late check out at 16.00 (upon availability)
- 20% discount for food in restaurant

So to the experience Plat members here on FT, there are 2 errors in this letter that clearly indicate to me that this properties Rooms Division Manager is out to lunch.

I have filed a complaint with CCS about this shenanigans and will post the result on the LM Budapest Master Thread as well. What a crock.
I'm an "experience Plat member", but this guessing game of yours leaves me befuddled, and even a bit bored. Please enlighten at least one dumb "experience Plat member" as to the "shenanigans".
Old Jan 23, 2014, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by clublounger
I'm an "experience Plat member", but this guessing game of yours leaves me befuddled, and even a bit bored. Please enlighten at least one dumb "experience Plat member" as to the "shenanigans".
my guess is that pointweasel is referring to late checkout & 'room' upgrade as 'shenanigans'....

late checkout at non-resort/conference properties is not subject to availability but a published benefit....but i'm sure the property won't deny it once its pointed out to them....

complimentary 'room' upgrade reads fine to me but perhaps pointweasel wants it to read complimentary 'suite' upgrade....

none of these are 'shenanigans' in my book though....
Old Jan 23, 2014, 8:47 am

Programs: DL DM, MM
I used 3 suite nights and was "upgraded" to a grand deluxe room at the Pine cliffs. Note that it was not a suite. Didn't feel like arguing in broken english/portugese since it was my birthday weekend. Ambassador got me 10k points and the return of the SNA was "impossible".

Was not happy about the entire situation. 10k points was a joke considerign it was 16k points per night there.

Still mad about that....
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/account/member_benefits/index.html?level=platinum

1. rooms upgrades, including standard suites (those last 3 words are conveniently dropped)

2. 4 pm late check-out is guaranteed at non-resort, non-convention properties

In my book, it is playing games. Of course, when my Ambassador called the property to find out what was going on, the Front Desk claimed it was an oversight and I was shown 2 suite layouts to choose from.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StuckOnSegments
I used 3 suite nights and was "upgraded" to a grand deluxe room at the Pine cliffs. Note that it was not a suite. Didn't feel like arguing in broken english/portugese since it was my birthday weekend. Ambassador got me 10k points and the return of the SNA was "impossible".

Was not happy about the entire situation. 10k points was a joke considerign it was 16k points per night there.

Still mad about that....
Were you upgraded into the room you chose when you applied the SNA or was it listed as a "grand deluxe suite" for SNA purposes and it turned out to be a "grand deluxe room?" If they're suggesting that 10k points = 3 SNA which have confirmed, that's definitely a joke.

I'm anxious to see if the St. Regis Abu Dhabi is able to fulfill their offer to return the SNA... and if not what their offer will be in exchange for them.

Last edited by DC777Fan; Jan 23, 2014 at 5:28 pm Reason: adding "which have confirmed"
Old Jan 23, 2014, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by clublounger
I would suggest to you that in future, you simply stop reading a post and/or thread when you find it becomes "boring". Works wonders.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 8:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Keyser
my guess is that pointweasel is referring to late checkout & 'room' upgrade as 'shenanigans'....

late checkout at non-resort/conference properties is not subject to availability but a published benefit....but i'm sure the property won't deny it once its pointed out to them....

complimentary 'room' upgrade reads fine to me but perhaps pointweasel wants it to read complimentary 'suite' upgrade....

none of these are 'shenanigans' in my book though....
The text omits to mention the Plat welcome amenity: points or breakfast or sometimes a gift.

Also, if applicable, there's no mention of lounge access.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by PointWeasel
I would suggest to you that in future, you simply stop reading a post and/or thread when you find it becomes "boring". Works wonders.
Thanks for your suggestion, however boring, but how would I know until after I read it?

Do you really support the guessing game that was presented to us?

Last edited by clublounger; Jan 23, 2014 at 11:42 pm
Old Jan 24, 2014, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The text omits to mention the Plat welcome amenity: points or breakfast or sometimes a gift.

Also, if applicable, there's no mention of lounge access.
now that is real 'shenanigans' in my book....
Old Jan 24, 2014, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

SNA are back in my account, so it is possible
Old Jan 25, 2014, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DC777Fan
SNA are back in my account, so it is possible
^^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.