Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is appropriate compensation?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2014, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
It's not clear to me, but weren't you indeed upgraded to a suite, thus the SNAs were redeemed? I'm not excusing the agent for possibly lying to you, just trying to understand if indeed you were upgraded, just not to the type of suite you desired.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by clublounger
A: The number of points needed for that free night in a suite.
I was going to say the number of points for a free night.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by TallestHotelInJapan
Another "what compensation" discussion. I am tired to read such things.
no one asked you to read it....
Old Jan 18, 2014, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by DC777Fan
I've since come to realize that a Grand Deluxe Suite is one category **below** the St. Regis Suite.
when you were selecting the suite type to upgrade to, was there also an option for a grand deluxe suite & if there was then did you select it????

i had a similar problem with a stay about 6 months ago....i applied 5 suite nights & only selected the option for a junior suite....i was upgraded 5 days out but the night before my stay i noticed that the reservation had changed to a grand deluxe room....since it was too late to cancel either the suite nights or the reservation, i asked the property to return my suite nights since that was not the room i selected....i was initially told it would not be possible but with the help of the lurkers i was informed that the property would try to honour the original upgrade otherwise they would either return the suite nights or give me points as compensation....

in the end the property upgraded me back to the junior suite so it all turned out well....
Old Jan 19, 2014, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by cfpmcleo
I was faced with a similar situation last year. My SNA was confirmed but at the hotel, there was no such suite available. After some discussion, the GM unequivocally stated the SNA could NOT be returned to my account. Ultimately, we agreed to settled at 20K points.

BTW it was a 4 Points, most definitely not a St Regis!

Cleo
Thank you for the data point.

Originally Posted by TallestHotelInJapan
Another "what compensation" discussion. I am tired to read such things.
I'm sorry, when faced with a problem of a program benefit not being honored, I thought this was the most logical place to discuss.

Originally Posted by Often1
This is a bad one for a phone call as it happened in the past and there's nothing to fix right now. I would shorten the OP to 3 declarative sentences and ask for the return of the SNA.

If you don't get it, you are at a cross-roads. You can sue (and likely spend more time, effort money & then lose than it's worth) or you can stop using SPG (or both). Six months from now when they call to ask why you're not staying with them, tell them.

Practically speaking the grass isn't much greener elsewhere.
As I said, we checked in on NYE at ~9pm and were excited to spend NYE in Abu Dhabi. That wasn't the time for a fight either, and it was a pretty short stay.

The property has made a gesture to correct the service failure... it's just not one I can accept because it requires 26 hours of round trip flying they're not offering to cover.

I do anticipate that we'll come to an agreement, I'm just trying to gauge what others think is fair so that I'm able to stand up for myself enough, and at the same time not ask for something that others would consider absurd.

Originally Posted by FlytheTail
It's not clear to me, but weren't you indeed upgraded to a suite, thus the SNAs were redeemed? I'm not excusing the agent for possibly lying to you, just trying to understand if indeed you were upgraded, just not to the type of suite you desired.
This particular property has about a half dozen types of suites: junior suites, grand deluxe suites, st regis suites, and about 3-4 "named" suites. The junior suite and grand deluxe suite are very similar--the grand deluxe is basically a junior suite with a better view; the st. regis suite is significantly nicer still (and usually 2X the price of the GD suite; and the named suites are all over the top opulent and much more expensive than the others.

Only junior suites and st regis suites were available for SNA, and I chose st regis suite.

Originally Posted by Keyser
when you were selecting the suite type to upgrade to, was there also an option for a grand deluxe suite & if there was then did you select it????

i had a similar problem with a stay about 6 months ago....i applied 5 suite nights & only selected the option for a junior suite....i was upgraded 5 days out but the night before my stay i noticed that the reservation had changed to a grand deluxe room....since it was too late to cancel either the suite nights or the reservation, i asked the property to return my suite nights since that was not the room i selected....i was initially told it would not be possible but with the help of the lurkers i was informed that the property would try to honour the original upgrade otherwise they would either return the suite nights or give me points as compensation....

in the end the property upgraded me back to the junior suite so it all turned out well....
No as, I said, only Junior and St. Regis.

In my view, the difference between a regular room and a junior suite (the only kind available for SPG redemption) is 16k points/32k points, so the established baseline is about 16k points per category per night. I was downgraded one category and should either have the SNAs returned, as they were not honored, or the hotel should give me 32k points for the downgrade of 2 nights. My preference would be the latter as I don't often stay in properties with suites I really consider "worth it," though this hotel was an exception.

In reality, the price difference of [junior suite - standard room] is actually much smaller than [st regis suite - grand deluxe suite] for 4-5 random 1 night bookings, so I do find that to be more than fair.

I'm guessing that those 32k points cost the hotel about $500, however that likely pales in comparison to the money they made by selling my St. Regis Suite and dumping me into an available other suite. The marginal cost of our occupying the room for 2 nights can't really be more than $100-200.

The St. Regis Suite looks like it usually goes for about $1300++/nt and was probably even more expensive for NYE. So assuming the other guest stayed 2 nights as well, they conservatively made about $3000 out of their shenanigans and lied to me and said the grand deluxe was a further upgrade.

Last edited by DC777Fan; Jan 19, 2014 at 5:36 am
Old Jan 19, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Contact the hotel and inquire about the number of points it would take to book into a St. Regis Suite for this upcoming NYE and NYD. Do not inform them of your prior situation, etc. Since NYE is considered a premium date, it may have a higher redemption rate (e.g. - it is 16,000 points for a standard room on NYE and 12,000 on NYD). I would push for the total difference between the standard room redemption and the St. Regis Suite redemption. While you were upgraded with your SNA, it was not to the room you booked AND you were lied to by hotel personnel. This is not something to be expected from the St. Regis brand, especially not one in one of the richest cities in the world.

If the amount is 32,000 points per night, I would request them to credit you with 64,000 points. The difference between the room you booked and the one you were deceivingly placed in was $800/night for the 2014/2015 equivalent dates (based on the flexible rates, which are surprisingly much lower than the pre-paid rates ... the latter puts the difference around $980). This $800 would buy you roughly 46,000 points direct from SPG (at a rate that is more expensive than what they would be able to purchase them direct from SPG), so don't even feel remotely bad for asking for 64,000 points from them... it is still a bargain even for the would-be financial difference in value of the two upgraded rooms.

P.S. - A one-night room comp is a ridiculous offer to a foreign guest (unless said guest was a regular at the hotel, which I gather you are not). If I were you, I would separate ANY emotions of being the seemingly nice guy you are from this particular transaction. They treated you like a business transaction and you should approach this situation with the same attitude.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 6:33 am

If nothing else, post a review on the property's website.

Cheers,
Old Jan 20, 2014, 6:49 am
Suspended

Programs: Everything is refundable
Recently had a 2 night stay at St. Regis Abu Dhabi and used SNAs to upgrade to a "St Regis Suite" room.
I always thought that SNA's get you a standard entry level suite...
Old Jan 20, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by FD1971
I always thought that SNA's get you a standard entry level suite...
They allow you to guarantee a booking into a specific suite, if available and selected and accepted. Based on what was said, he selected a St. Regis Suite and his SNA request was accepted by the hotel. The hotel is in default of a contractual obligation at that point and should do everything they can to make things right. At the hotel, however, they attempted to deceive their customer. That's when the gloves would come off for me...
Old Jan 20, 2014, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond
I accepted their offer to deal with SPG and ensure the suite nights are returned as well as 16,000 points as an apology from the hotel (the cost of one night at their hotel in a standard room) for the "mix up" at the front desk. IMO I was made whole in terms of value, though lying about the downgrade still leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I accepted their offer to deal with SPG and ensure the suite nights are returned as well as 16,000 points as an apology from the hotel (the cost of one night at their hotel in a standard room) for the "mix up" at the front desk. IMO I was made whole in terms of value, though lying about the downgrade still leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.
sounds like a fair result....
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:07 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Except that it should have never happened.

Why do we have to fight all the time for our benefits? That is one reason I have stopped working for status... it is just not worth the effort anymore.

Originally Posted by Keyser
sounds like a fair result....
Old Jan 21, 2014, 10:33 am

Programs: SPG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by wharvey

Why do we have to fight all the time for our benefits? That is one reason I have stopped working for status... it is just not worth the effort anymore.
When it comes to receiving benefits... while it certainly has hiccups from time to time, I've found SPG Platinum generally better than the other programs.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wharvey

i agree....i was thinking the exact same thing when it happened to me....one shouldn't have to fight for a benefit one is entitled to through the program....
Old Jan 22, 2014, 1:07 am

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
Saw this thread late. If they're going to compensate via points you should ask for at least 60k - something they won't likely to agree.

Returning of the voucher and 16k sounds about right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.