What is appropriate compensation?

Old Jan 18, 2014, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond
What is appropriate compensation?

Recently had a 2 night stay at St. Regis Abu Dhabi and used SNAs to upgrade to a "St Regis Suite" room.

Upon arrival, agent thanked me for being a gold member and asked what I wanted for a welcome benefit and listed gold benies. I corrected him that I was a platinum, and said I wanted breakfast. All seems well, but when he asked me to sign the usual forms, I noted "Grand Deluxe" on the room type.

I inquired and said I used SNA to confirm into a St. Regis Suite, so why is Grand Deluxe listed. At first, the check in agent didn't really answer my question, though I tried to be polite because he made it seem as if he didn't fully understand what I asked, and certainly I don't want to be rude to somebody whose second language is English (though he definitely was acting cagey). I asked in another way and he then said that St. Regis Suites were "sold out" because it's NYE, and a Grand Deluxe Suite was an upgrade from a St. Regis Suite. I tried to confirm this on my phone, but couldn't get wifi in the lobby yet.

By the time we got up to the room, it certainly looked less impressive than the pictures for the St. Regis Suite, but it was New Year's Eve and we needed to get ready to go out, so I wasn't interested in any type of investigation and just took him at his word since pictures can be deceiving.

It was only a 2 night stay and our first time in Abu Dhabi, so I never got around to trying to figure out if we'd had shenanigans pulled on us. By the time we returned home about 2.5 weeks later (long trip), I've since come to realize that a Grand Deluxe Suite is one category **below** the St. Regis Suite.

In retrospect, the agent must've known we were downgraded and was trying to remain polite/deferential, but couldn't figure out how to explain it. I'm guessing St. Regis Suites *were* in fact sold out due to NYE and when looking at who to downgrade, they chose the redemption guest with a SNA. Obviously, that devalues the program...

I escalated the issue with SPG Customer Care, and the hotel got back to me today via email--just a day later and offered 1 comp night in a St. Regis Suite.

While that's a nice offer, I live in WAS, and we're not sure when our travels will take us back to AUH. I appreciate that they're trying to correct it, but I'd definitely like them to make it right with something I can use sooner.

What would you be looking for in this situation?
Old Jan 18, 2014, 12:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by DC777Fan
What would you be looking for in this situation?
Simply a return of the SNAs.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Simply a return of the SNAs.
That was my first thought. SPG agent said this was "impossible."
Old Jan 18, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Have you escalated this? Front line agents are trained to say "no".
Old Jan 18, 2014, 12:35 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Maybe they can transfer that one free night to a more convenient St. Regis or to another SPG brand?
Old Jan 18, 2014, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
A: The number of points needed for that free night in a suite.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 1:12 pm

Programs: LH Sen, Starwood Amb, Hilton Diamond
It is indeed possible, if decided at the appropriate level, and in fact is the most appropriate response in this situation.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 3:26 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by Sphinx
It is indeed possible, if decided at the appropriate level, and in fact is the most appropriate response in this situation.
Certainly possible, but need lots of push.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by Cana2013
Certainly possible, but need lots of push.

I was faced with a similar situation last year. My SNA was confirmed but at the hotel, there was no such suite available. After some discussion, the GM unequivocally stated the SNA could NOT be returned to my account. Ultimately, we agreed to settled at 20K points.

BTW it was a 4 Points, most definitely not a St Regis!

Cleo
Old Jan 18, 2014, 4:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Another "what compensation" discussion. I am tired to read such things.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 4:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is a bad one for a phone call as it happened in the past and there's nothing to fix right now. I would shorten the OP to 3 declarative sentences and ask for the return of the SNA.

If you don't get it, you are at a cross-roads. You can sue (and likely spend more time, effort money & then lose than it's worth) or you can stop using SPG (or both). Six months from now when they call to ask why you're not staying with them, tell them.

Practically speaking the grass isn't much greener elsewhere.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 5:36 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by TallestHotelInJapan
Then why in the world would you click on a thread CLEARLY labeled as a "what compensation" discussion?
Old Jan 18, 2014, 5:40 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by TallestHotelInJapan
Then don't read it.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by JackE
Then why in the world would you click on a thread CLEARLY labeled as a "what compensation" discussion?
+1

What is so wrong with asking for what one rightfully deserves given bait and switch?
Old Jan 18, 2014, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Six months from now when they call to ask why you're not staying with them, tell them.
I would pretty much guarantee that no such phone call would ever be made.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.