Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Should I be upset? Is service recovery indicated?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I be upset? Is service recovery indicated?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2013, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by lkar
It happens in all industries. Every once in a while, I'll answer those questions honestly just for fun, if the person asking it looks sturdy and can take it. Like, at the grocery store, when they ask, "did you find everything ok." The answer to this question should always be "yes." The person asking it has no intention, desire, or ability to really make a note of the fact that you are pissed they don't carry saffron in 4 oz. containers.
No, but the answer might well be, "Sir, let me have someone see if s/he can find it for you." Or "Actually, we do, sir, -- you'll find it in aisle four, about halfway down on the left. I'll have someone fetch it for you."
Old May 31, 2013, 9:48 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by BenSenise
I can't remember ever being in any hotel that did not have in-house phones by the elevators. I would have called.
In all cases I had trouble getting to my room, calling won't help. They need to check your ID at the front desk just to be sure it's you, so coming down it's a must.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 12:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by AdamATL
You just can't be serious.

You are quite the delicate flower, aren't you? You've traipsed from the pool to your room in this allegedly frigid air and now another 5-10 minute wait might put you on your death bed before you take your vacation from your vacation?

Things happen. Move on. For me, it would take more mental energy to fret about some token "service recovery" than it's worth.

But, THANK YOU... I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread! LOL It's almost like a SNL skit!
Glad that you do find it funny! I wish I could as well!

Well no one can guarantee it will only be a 5 to 10 mins wait, and no one in the right mind wants to take unneeded risks right?

-----------

I'm glad I started this to gather opinions.

I realize I would have accepted a sincere apology, and that the silent treatment I was given is the trigger for my frustration.

There are always lapses and complications, it is how we handle them.
Most people who get influenza do not develop meningitis and not all corona-viruses cause atypical pneumonia or SARS, but when things go wrong and even though it may be beyond human control, there are always steps to take to improve the situation.

That is what makes the difference.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ua mm, aa plat, starriott LTPP, ihg plat, hh gold.
i'm afraid i'm entirely on board with the other posters: you didn't deserve any 'token' and you're indeed quite the delicate creature if you were 'distressed and embarrassed' (and worried about catching a cold!) by being seen in your swimsuit in the lobby of a hotel near a beach. please.

as others have noted, late checkout often results in a key not working after 12 noon.

you asked, we've answered: you should not be upset, and service recovery is not indicated.

next case.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 12:34 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
I always make the assumption my keys will stop working at 12pm - and pleasantly surprised if they still work for late check out - when they don't, I head down for new keys - a bit annoyed - but, I write it off to the software running the key coding not the hotel staff - and just get my new keys - but I certainly don't think they owe me a special service promise.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by karenkay
i'm afraid i'm entirely on board with the other posters: you didn't deserve any 'token' and you're indeed quite the delicate creature if you were 'distressed and embarrassed' (and worried about catching a cold!) by being seen in your swimsuit in the lobby of a hotel near a beach. please.

as others have noted, late checkout often results in a key not working after 12 noon.

you asked, we've answered: you should not be upset, and service recovery is not indicated.

next case.
Put it in another angle, I am elated to know there are many forgiving people around. No sarcasm intended.

Given the culture in my country, many would be upset too.

Oh well, I will just wait out the unpleasant feeling.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 1:47 am

Haha knowing the hotel you're referring too, the weather is so hot and humid that walking around near naked is probably a blessing . But take heart, exactly the same thing happened to me there once. Of course I was dripping water all over the lobby so the Hotel Mgr who was around dashed over to settle things.

And no, I didnt ask for service recovery leh ... Not all of us are that unforgiving...

PS: This hotel is seaside but not a beach resort. The lobby is actually more ritzy than most 5* city hotels and is fully air-conditioned and freezing most of the time. I can well imagine catching a cold if I were wet and only in my skivvies and had to wait in line...
Old Jun 1, 2013, 5:13 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Keep asking for compensation for trivial things like this and one day when real compensation is due, they probably wont even read your letters. Standard check out time is noon the keys are pre programmed to work just till then. Sometimes a desk agent thats on the ball will pick up on this and change your key out for you but you cant expect them to remember everyone who requests a late check out. I have been locked out after noon so many times i cant count. Its no big deal.....if you cant og to the lobby in your bathing suit, us the house phone. Im sure they would have been happy to send someone to let you in....thats the "service recovery" you should have expected
Old Jun 1, 2013, 5:47 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
This seems a particular *wood issue. I generally call the morning of checkout to request a 4PM extension, as they often advise you to.

Hyatt seems to be able to extend access when you call.

FWIW, I have had to go to the Front Desk when I've gone to the gym and left my key in my room. I have gone to the lobby in a singlet, shorts and sneakers and while not the most comfortable experience in a luxury hotel, it was hardly embarrassing...
Old Jun 1, 2013, 6:16 am
Suspended

Programs: ゴールデングローブ
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
So many times have I found that the key card ceases to open the room door at standard checkout time that I no longer expect anything different.

This is trivial. IMHO, it's time to move on.

Indeed, this is not even a minor problem. It happens but it shouldn't
Old Jun 1, 2013, 6:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
In all cases I had trouble getting to my room, calling won't help. They need to check your ID at the front desk just to be sure it's you, so coming down it's a must.
The last time I tried calling for a new key card from the phone by the elevator on my floor, it took three calls and forty five minutes at a LC property, and even so I had to go down to the lobby to get the new key card. I almost missed an international flight and fortunately my car service didn't tack on an additional fee for the wait.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by m0hamed
This seems a particular *wood issue. I generally call the morning of checkout to request a 4PM extension, as they often advise you to.

Hyatt seems to be able to extend access when you call.

FWIW, I have had to go to the Front Desk when I've gone to the gym and left my key in my room. I have gone to the lobby in a singlet, shorts and sneakers and while not the most comfortable experience in a luxury hotel, it was hardly embarrassing...
Singlet and shorts are definitely okay IMO.
But less than that....
One must be careful in a country where even being gay is illegal.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 6:25 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
The question is... When other guests saw you in the lobby in your bathing suit, did THEY ask for "service recovery"?

I've seen a few bathing suits that were so bad, all witnesses should have received 10,000 points each.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 7:18 am

Go to reception... update key card... service recovered... ^

This happens so often with late check outs that I don't even remember it a few hours later.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 7:41 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
I should add: I find it more offensive seeing guests wearing their bathrobes around the hotel. Call me old fashioned, but surely you can put on some casual clothes over your swimmers when heading to and from the pool/fitness centre.

And who doesn't hate looking down and seeing puddles of water in the lift?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.