Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Should I be upset? Is service recovery indicated?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I be upset? Is service recovery indicated?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2013, 7:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
I can see the OP's point - I would be very distressed at having to go to the lounge in a bathing suit (though I'd never appear in one in the hallways either). They asked for input about the stay. The OP responded. The least they could do would be to say they were sorry about the issue. To say nothing tells me they really don't give a rat's @ss if you enjoyed your stay and were just mumbling the usual script. That is poor customer service.
Compensation? No, probably not. But an apology for failing to meet expectations? Certainly.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 9:43 am

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by m0hamed
This seems a particular *wood issue. I generally call the morning of checkout to request a 4PM extension, as they often advise you to.

Hyatt seems to be able to extend access when you call.

FWIW, I have had to go to the Front Desk when I've gone to the gym and left my key in my room. I have gone to the lobby in a singlet, shorts and sneakers and while not the most comfortable experience in a luxury hotel, it was hardly embarrassing...
It's not specific to *wood. I've worked at other brand hotels and it happens there, too. To this specific quote: Even if you call down and get the late checkout, the key you have doesn't magically get updated. A new physical key has to be made with the new checkout time encoded on it.

For the OP: what were you wearing over your swim suit when you went to the water? Why could you not put that back on to get to the Front Desk? Just curious. The Front Desk should have said something when you commented - even THAT is on the "script" of any good hotel. I've had guests get apoplectic when their key did not work, call me an idiot or incompetent because it didn't work - I'd apologize, make a new key and offer to walk them to their room (or have a member of the Bell Staff do it) to be sure they key works. If it doesn't, I have my key that I can let them in with. But, to have someone demand compensation, I don't think it's worth it.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 1:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1
"Service recovery" refers to what the property does to fix a problem. If a light bulb burns out, did they replace it? If you are inadverdently locked out earlier than your late checkout, was the room rekeyed?

Here, the service recovery was 100%. You asked, they fixed.
We all have different comfort levels and I agree that the OP is perhaps a little on the sensitive side. But I do see where they are coming from and I don't think the hostile response here by many is quite warranted. Clearly, the hotel at the very least inconvenienced their guest.

In regards to service recovery, the narrow definition provided above by another FTer is not what one would consider service recovery. That would be called fixing an issue. Service recovery pertains to a hotel's response to an issue in a way that leaves the guest feel positive about the incident. While it can include compensation, oftentimes it could be small intangibles such as a personal apology by a manager or another small gesture. in this case, it seems a word or two at check-out could have done the trick. Clearly, the property did not succeed in this instance as the OP left still being rather upset about the issue.
Old Jun 1, 2013, 8:24 pm

I think that a mountain is being made of a tiny mole hill. I can recall a number of times when my card was programmed wrong regardless of whether it was a cat 1 or a cat 6 hotel. So what? Mistakes happen. I would have been more concerned about the room not being ansolutely clean. Whe you leave a room to go to the pool I would assume that you would be adequately dressed so that if you had to go to the lobby, it would not be a big issue. The front desk could have been more sympathetic but that would be it from my perspective.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 1:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by bzbdewd
I can see the OP's point - I would be very distressed at having to go to the lounge in a bathing suit (though I'd never appear in one in the hallways either). They asked for input about the stay. The OP responded. The least they could do would be to say they were sorry about the issue. To say nothing tells me they really don't give a rat's @ss if you enjoyed your stay and were just mumbling the usual script. That is poor customer service.
Compensation? No, probably not. But an apology for failing to meet expectations? Certainly.
Thank you very much for your kind comments!

Originally Posted by sensei
We all have different comfort levels and I agree that the OP is perhaps a little on the sensitive side. But I do see where they are coming from and I don't think the hostile response here by many is quite warranted. Clearly, the hotel at the very least inconvenienced their guest.

In regards to service recovery, the narrow definition provided above by another FTer is not what one would consider service recovery. That would be called fixing an issue. Service recovery pertains to a hotel's response to an issue in a way that leaves the guest feel positive about the incident. While it can include compensation, oftentimes it could be small intangibles such as a personal apology by a manager or another small gesture. in this case, it seems a word or two at check-out could have done the trick. Clearly, the property did not succeed in this instance as the OP left still being rather upset about the issue.
Thank you for your kind words!

Originally Posted by cruiser9999
I think that a mountain is being made of a tiny mole hill. I can recall a number of times when my card was programmed wrong regardless of whether it was a cat 1 or a cat 6 hotel. So what? Mistakes happen. I would have been more concerned about the room not being ansolutely clean. Whe you leave a room to go to the pool I would assume that you would be adequately dressed so that if you had to go to the lobby, it would not be a big issue. The front desk could have been more sympathetic but that would be it from my perspective.
Interestingly the debris in the room did not bother me as much.

------------------------------------------

And thanks to all again for your comments and especially to those who are sympathetic to my distress.
Old Jun 4, 2013, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
Keep asking for compensation for trivial things like this and one day when real compensation is due, they probably wont even read your letters. Standard check out time is noon the keys are pre programmed to work just till then. Sometimes a desk agent thats on the ball will pick up on this and change your key out for you but you cant expect them to remember everyone who requests a late check out. I have been locked out after noon so many times i cant count. Its no big deal.....if you cant og to the lobby in your bathing suit, us the house phone. Im sure they would have been happy to send someone to let you in....thats the "service recovery" you should have expected
I'll disagree with you on one part. I do expect that I won't have to go to the FD to get my key reactivated. It should be done automatically upon request, whether at check-in or a later date. It doesn't seem that difficult to do.

Nevertheless, we agree on the main point: As faults go, this one is a minor one and not deserving of compensation.

Mike

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.