Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Should I be upset? Is service recovery indicated?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2013, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold

Had a stay at a Cat 6 hotel recently.

I was celebrating my guest's birthday early for we were going elsewhere for the actual day.

Late checkout at 2pm was granted at check-in and we were actually later than the standard check-in time.

The stay went fairly well, except for a malfunctioning room keycard, only one island re-entry pass instead of 2 and minor debris in the room, which can be tolerated. No birthday cake, but that's alright as it is a bonus if it were given.

However, we were locked out of the room after the 12pm after returning from the pool while dressed in swimming gear and had to walk to the lobby inappropriately dressed. This was very distressing and embarrassing to say the least.

On check-out, the staff asked if the stay was good, to which I said I was unhappy about the incident. I was met with silence, and given the bill to sign.

The staff seemingly continue to ignore my displeasure and I left rather upset at the lack of service recovery.

I wrote an email to the hotel and gotten a rather generic reply, and I asked for some service recovery. I haven't received a reply to that yet.

Is it inappropriate for me to make such a request or should I have demanded to speak to someone more senior at the time of check-out?

-----

I was told that the keys should have been programmed for late checkout when it was granted at checkin, which means the incident shouldn't have happened at all. This is not a beach resort, so it was like appearing minimally dressed at St Regis NYC.

There's no exhibitionist streak in me either.

Last edited by SgFred; Jun 1, 2013 at 6:12 am
Old May 31, 2013, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by SgFred
However, we were locked out of the room after the 12pm after returning from the pool while dressed in swimming gear and had to walk to the lobby inappropriately dressed. This was very distressing and embarrassing to say the least.
So many times have I found that the key card ceases to open the room door at standard checkout time that I no longer expect anything different.

This is trivial. IMHO, it's time to move on.
Old May 31, 2013, 8:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
"Service recovery" refers to what the property does to fix a problem. If a light bulb burns out, did they replace it? If you are inadverdently locked out earlier than your late checkout, was the room rekeyed?

Here, the service recovery was 100%. You asked, they fixed.

If you are delicately asking whether the property ought to do something for you as a result of a minor mistake, perhaps some properties would have offered you a free drink in the bar or somesuch. But, anything else is way way way over the top.
Old May 31, 2013, 8:40 am
Suspended

I have been locked out at noon a few times. Now when I ask for late check out, I ask the agent to be sure to code the card properly and make a point of being obvious when I look at their name tag. I think many agents simply either don't know how to do it or forget.

As far as going to the lobby in swimwear is concerned, I can't remember ever being in any hotel that did not have in-house phones by the elevators. I would have called.
Old May 31, 2013, 9:02 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
You're disappointed because you didn't get a birthday cake. For your guest! You expect too much.

You mention "island re-entry". I have no idea what that is, but I assume you were at some sort of beach destination. Going to the front desk, at noon, in a swimsuit is only "inappropriate" if your swimsuit is of an inappropriate nature. Check.

BenSenise is 100% on the money about the phone by the elevator. Ask them to send the key up. Explain your racy attire. They'll need id, but it's okay to show it AFTER you've entered the room, as you're likely not carrying it to the pool, in your thong.
Old May 31, 2013, 9:09 am
tyn

If service recovery is your delicate way of meaning compensation, I don't think one is in order.
Receptionists go on autopilot when they validate room keys at check-in. They probably forgot that the standard setting should have been changed. A mistake that deserves an apology and no more than that.

Hotels often gift a birthday cake to guests who celebrate their birthday while staying there, but it is unrealistic to expect them to provide one because the guest has a birthday coming sometime into the future
Old May 31, 2013, 9:14 am

This was very distressing and embarrassing to say the least.
Really?? Come on....
Old May 31, 2013, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
So many times have I found that the key card ceases to open the room door at standard checkout time that I no longer expect anything different.

This is trivial. IMHO, it's time to move on.
The reason I started this thread is to get opinions.

Originally Posted by Often1
If you are delicately asking whether the property ought to do something for you as a result of a minor mistake, perhaps some properties would have offered you a free drink in the bar or somesuch. But, anything else is way way way over the top.
I totally agree. Am not expecting anything more than a token.

Originally Posted by BenSenise
I have been locked out at noon a few times. Now when I ask for late check out, I ask the agent to be sure to code the card properly and make a point of being obvious when I look at their name tag. I think many agents simply either don't know how to do it or forget.

As far as going to the lobby in swimwear is concerned, I can't remember ever being in any hotel that did not have in-house phones by the elevators. I would have called.
This is the first time it has happened to me, so a lesson learnt. Perhaps it was an exercise in probability as I have been mainly staying in 5* properties.

Calling was perhaps an option, but I guess I didnt want to wait in the cold air. Wouldn't want to fall sick before the scheduled trip.

Originally Posted by clublounger
You're disappointed because you didn't get a birthday cake. For your guest! You expect too much.

You mention "island re-entry". I have no idea what that is, but I assume you were at some sort of beach destination. Going to the front desk, at noon, in a swimsuit is only "inappropriate" if your swimsuit is of an inappropriate nature. Check.

BenSenise is 100% on the money about the phone by the elevator. Ask them to send the key up. Explain your racy attire. They'll need id, but it's okay to show it AFTER you've entered the room, as you're likely not carrying it to the pool, in your thong.
Disappointed yes, but didn't expect too much I believe
Not every property is like the ones in Maldives.

And yes you assume too much that it's a beach destination. Beach is nearby but not that near.

I'm not the one wearing the thong, and no one should see me in one either.

Originally Posted by tyn
If service recovery is your delicate way of meaning compensation, I don't think one is in order.
Receptionists go on autopilot when they validate room keys at check-in. They probably forgot that the standard setting should have been changed. A mistake that deserves an apology and no more than that.
No apology given. Only silence.
And this made it worse.

Originally Posted by nykjets
Really?? Come on....
Well you are not the one involved.
Old May 31, 2013, 12:47 pm

Programs: Airline free agent; Starwood Platinum; Hyatt Diamond
This was very distressing and embarrassing to say the least.
You just can't be serious.

I guess I didnt want to wait in the cold air. Wouldn't want to fall sick before the scheduled trip.
You are quite the delicate flower, aren't you? You've traipsed from the pool to your room in this allegedly frigid air and now another 5-10 minute wait might put you on your death bed before you take your vacation from your vacation?

Things happen. Move on. For me, it would take more mental energy to fret about some token "service recovery" than it's worth.

But, THANK YOU... I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread! LOL It's almost like a SNL skit!
Old May 31, 2013, 1:33 pm

Had a stay at a Cat 6 hotel recently.

I was celebrating my guest's birthday early for we were going elsewhere for the actual day.

Late checkout at 2pm was granted at check-in and we were actually later than the standard check-in time.

The stay went fairly well, except for a malfunctioning room keycard, only one island re-entry pass instead of 2 and minor debris in the room, which can be tolerated. No birthday cake, but that's alright as it is a bonus if it were given.

On check-out, the staff asked if the stay was good, to which I said I was unhappy about the incident. I was met with silence, and given the bill to sign.

The staff seemingly continue to ignore my displeasure and I left rather upset at the lack of service recovery.

I wrote an email to the hotel and gotten a rather generic reply, and I asked for some service recovery. I haven't received a reply to that yet.

Is it inappropriate for me to make such a request or should I have demanded to speak to someone more senior at the time of check-out?
Yes. In my opinion it is inappropriate for you to be requesting any compensation, or "demanding" to speak with someone more senior. It's just a minor, trivial thing that happens from time to time.

Just move on.

Cheers,
Old May 31, 2013, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
To answer the original question, no, I do not believe that any compensation is in order.

Mike
Old May 31, 2013, 2:14 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
No compensation needed. This happens all the time. It can be particularly annoying if there is a long check in line that you need to stand in to get your key re-coded, but otherwise it's not that big of a deal. Happens about 50% of the time I do late check out, IME
Old May 31, 2013, 2:20 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA*1K, Marriott Titanium (LTP), Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by BenSenise
Strangely enough, that thought has never crossed my mind. I've had it happen a few times after going to the gym and felt out of place heading to the lobby… and never once thought of using the house phone.

Well, next time I'll remember that!
Old May 31, 2013, 3:25 pm

They don't ask these questions for an honest answer. Nobody does. It's the equivalent of a work colleague asking "how is it going" as they pass you in the hallway. They might as well be saying, "I can't be silent, so I'm going to exchange a pleasantry with you, will you please give me one back"?

It happens in all industries. Every once in a while, I'll answer those questions honestly just for fun, if the person asking it looks sturdy and can take it. Like, at the grocery store, when they ask, "did you find everything ok." The answer to this question should always be "yes." The person asking it has no intention, desire, or ability to really make a note of the fact that you are pissed they don't carry saffron in 4 oz. containers. If that's important to you, go to customer service or find a manager. But, if you want to have fun, you can say something like, "Nah, I spent 20 minutes looking for the mini marshmallows and now I'm exhausted."

Sometimes, if there was something wrong and I think the person at the front desk seems serious enough to fix it and care, I'll answer the question with a legitimate answer, like -- "actually, since you mention it, there was no hot water this morning." A good one will make a show of writing it down, as though they care, and say some soothing words. But usually not.

If you want to lodge a complaint about something, ask for a manager, or announce that you have a complaint you want to lodge, so they are in the mindset of "ok, I need to take this seriously and have a serious service-oriented conversation with this customer," instead of announcing it as an answer to a question they are duty-bound to ask during what is usually a pro-forma check out process, because you'll almost always be disappointed in the reaction.
Old May 31, 2013, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Seriously?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.