Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Official 2013 Category Changes - effective 5 March 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Official 2013 Category Changes - effective 5 March 2013

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:21 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
(Sigh of relief.)

Honestly, after yesterday's Hilton devaluation, I was expecting something drastic, like Cat 6 becoming the new norm for city center hotels outside of NYC and all NYC properties moving to Cat 7.

I can live with what was just released today.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:21 am

Programs: SQ PPS, OZ Gold, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Platinum, IHG Diamond
I'm the unlucky one... most of my frequent stay hotels (>80%) in Taipei, Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur are up up up....

1. W Taipei
2. Sheraton Grande Taipei
3. Westin Taipei
4. Sheration Imperial Kuala Lumpur
5. Westin Kuala Lumpur
6. Aloft Bangkok

.... and some others (don't have time to glance through the whole list yet)
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:22 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Originally Posted by WhyPayRent
While we wait, I created a quick Google spreadsheet from the PDF at MilePoint if anyone wants to pull it and drop it into Excel.
^ for doing that.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:25 am

Programs: SPG Plat, WN CP, Many Others
Originally Posted by dw
(Sigh of relief.)

Honestly, after yesterday's Hilton devaluation, I was expecting something drastic, like Cat 6 becoming the new norm for city center hotels outside of NYC and all NYC properties moving to Cat 7.

I can live with what was just released today.
+1...Sad to see a few properties I frequent go up, but many others that I thought might go up did not.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Time to exhale since I have been holding my breath since the Hilton news yesterday. Some of these changes will definitely impact me but overall I applaud SPG for not following suit and gutting their program like MR and HH did.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:33 am

Well, what do you know. 1 of my hotels I am staying at, Sheraton Miyako Hotel, Tokyo, is going from Cat 5 to 4. First time I think I have won with these.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:34 am

The category 5 and 6s are interesting. 12 went up, 22 went down.

To me, what's mostly going on here is a fairly massive shift from 2s to 3s and 3s to 4s, instead of the higher aspirational properties. It seems like SPG has rooted out the bargain category 2s and made them more commensurate with the typical rate at these hotels to get redemptions back around or under 2 cents per point. I guess that's not surprising. I don't know how significant that will be to many flyertalkers, who tend to accumulate for the category 5s, 6s and 7s.

Barcelona Diagonal at category 2 was kind of silly, I have to say, so I'm really not surprised they're on to some of my hidden gems. There are a few left that I'm surprised didn't go up, so I guess I can live with it. I'd be a lot more angry today if Hilton and Marriott hadn't just gutted their programs.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by christianj
Time to exhale since I have been holding my breath since the Hilton news yesterday. Some of these changes will definitely impact me but overall I applaud SPG for not following suit and gutting their program like MR and HH did.
Agreed.

While I won't completely abandon HH points, I will push as many of my stays and as much of my spend to SPG as possible. If SPG's footprint was bigger I would probably abandon HH altogether. I've always preferred SPG over HH - this just gives me more reason to patronize SPG. I think everyone expects gradual change, and frankly these "adjustments" appear reasonable.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:36 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Originally Posted by christianj
I agree. I too have exhaled somewhat after a day of apprehension.

Seeing the value of my 700k HH balance decimated yesterday, I was quite concerned about my somewhat significant SPG pot. And I was hoping not to have to go on a SPG burning spree as well.

So, all in all, the changes are not too bad, and I can certainly live with them. Thanks SPG.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:38 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Interesting that the Parker Meridien Palm Springs is going up. Must either expect that the relationship is going to continue, or they got good and fooled by the alledged chicanery
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:39 am

2 Hotels jump two categories:

Aloft New York Brooklyn US 3 -> 5
Sheraton Denarau Villas Fiji 4 -> 6
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:40 am
Suspended

Three cheers for SPG for not only having a reasonable re-evaluation but also for treating us like human beings and providing a state by state and country by country brekdown of affected properties.

You guys have prompted me to continue with my SPG card and to load more $$ on it.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:48 am

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum & LFT Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Silver, Airmiles Onyx, Aeroplan, Avis President's Club
I know...the best values in NYC are now on the up and up! aloft & Sheraton Brooklyn and the 4Points in Long Island City.

Thanks for the info Starwood. Also the category change is reasonable and it's easy to go through the list efficiently. STRAIGHTFORWARD!

Last edited by NBSPGMEMBER; Feb 20, 2013 at 11:07 am
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:53 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Ugh.. both Brooklyn properties are jumping up to Cat 5 - and that's with the Aloft jumping from 3 to 5. It's going to be hard to justify staying there when other properties in Manhattan are similar in number of points required.

It's interesting to see that Le Parker Meridien Palm Springs is moving up so they can extract more revenue from SPG.
Old Feb 20, 2013, 10:56 am

Programs: MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM ELITE, HYATT LIFETIME GLOBALIST, UAL SILVER, AA EXECUTIVE PLATINUM
I tend to use my points on vacations so I immediately scroll to the places that I like to take my family.

The 4 properties in Hawaii just priced themselves out of my world and it is sad to see 2 Greece properties and Hotel Danielli go to 7's.

Not earth-shattering though in my opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.