Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

Post Your Platinum Upgrade Failures [2013 - onward]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 6, 2014, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Please use this thread to post failures or difficulties in securing Platinum upgrades, based on the published benefits of the Platinum level, which are :

"Upgrades to best available room at check-in, including Standard Suites"

qualified by

"Subject to availability at check-in for the entire length of the stay, provided the room was not booked through a pre-paid third-party channel.
Specialty Suites such as, but not limited to, premium view, Presidential, Honeymoon, and multiple bedroom suites are excluded. This benefit does not apply to all-suite hotels. Best rooms are identified by each property and may not include upgraded Towers level accommodations unless Towers level accommodations were booked originally.
The upgrade benefit is available for one room for the personal use of the Member only, regardless of the number of additional rooms purchased by the Member. This benefit is not offered at Aloft and Element properties"

For a detailed discussion of the Platinum upgrade benefit, see the wiki at I'm Platinum. Why didn't I get a complimentary suite upgrade? [Master thread].

Starwood do not publish which of the various categories of Suites at each hotel are 'Standard', and which are not, so we don't know which Suites are in the 'Upgrade Pool', and which are excluded. So, if a Suite is available under the terms and qualifications of the benefit, but an upgrade is denied, and it is not absolutely clear that the Suite in question is not a "Standard Suite", then we should report that as a failure.

If you only manage to secure a rightful upgrade after challenging the front desk on check-in, or have instances where SNAs (Suite Night Upgrade) were not honoured, then you may report this too.

You may also report instances where suites are showing as available online, but not actually available at the hotel, due to (apparent) differences in real-time availability online.

Please post in standard format :

Property :
Dates(s) :
Room booked :
Room received : (if different than above):
Award stay :: (yes/no), type (C+P, FAN, FWN, FRN, SPG50, etc.)
BRG stay : (yes/no)
SNA(s) requested : (yes/no)
Comments :

...and include in the comments, particularly, the 'non-Standard' Suite category that you failed to secure an upgrade to.
Print Wikipost

Post Your Platinum Upgrade Failures [2013 - onward]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
Property: Sheraton Hua Hin Resort and Spa
Dates(s): Feb 14-16
Room booked: Lagoon view
Room received: Lagoon view
Award stay: No
BRG stay: (yes/no) Yes (for Garden view room)
SNA(s) requested: (yes/no) No
Comments: Hotel seems full due to long weekend.

Originally Posted by newin96
Property: Saskatoon Sheraton Cavalier
Dates(s): Feb 11-13
Room booked: queen std
Room received: queen std
BRG stay: (yes/no) no
Comments: I didn't realize that corporate TA had booked me into a queen until I got into my room. FD recognized my PLT status at check in and informed me that I was given club lounge access. When I got to my room and noticed the queen bed I called down and asked if any kings were available. I was informed that there were. Went down got new room... Std king. So much for best available room at check in (I'm not in the habit of asking for an upgrade, as I've believed that when available they're automatically done - I may change my attitude). Club lounge is really much nicer since my last visit (pre-renovation). Night manager sent up a welcome plate (hummus and crackers) on second night - a nice touch. I don't frequent this location much, maybe that is why the missed upgrade policy.
I'm not clear how either of these situations is a fail BASED ON THE FIRST POST? If the property is full, then perhaps there were not upgraded rooms or suites. Is it possible that no suites were available when you went to have your queen room reassigned to a king?
Old Feb 14, 2014, 2:00 pm

Programs: AC 100k, UA Silver, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold
King bed was available, was given a std queen. Suites may have not been available, but at least an upgrade to the best room available would have been the king?!? Should i be asking for this at check in, or should it be automatic?
Old Feb 14, 2014, 2:23 pm
Suspended

King bed was available, was given a std queen. Suites may have not been available, but at least an upgrade to the best room available would have been the king?!? Should i be asking for this at check in, or should it be automatic?
You were given what bed type you were booked. You do know the bedding rules, yes?
Old Feb 14, 2014, 3:46 pm

Sorry, I don't know what the bedding rules are, or how they influence the upgrade process. I'm always happy to be educated if you would be willing to point me in the right direction. (I did search bedding rules but nothing came up).
Thanks!
Old Feb 14, 2014, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Sorry, I don't know what the bedding rules are, or how they influence the upgrade process. I'm always happy to be educated if you would be willing to point me in the right direction. (I did search bedding rules but nothing came up).
Thanks!
FAQ: Starwood policy: guarantee bedding and smoking preference on paid stays

you are upgraded based on the bedding type booked. So your Travel Agent booked you a Queen room and that is what you were assigned.

You didn't want a Queen room, so you as to be reassigned. Based on that, I'm going to assume the property put you in the best room based on your status at the time of this change. In addition, rooms could have been turning over in the system for arrivals and departures or taken out of service for maintenance.

This is why I do not think your situation was a fail.

Based on the first post of this thread, was there something the property DID NOT do to upgrade you according to the T&Cs?
Old Feb 14, 2014, 6:03 pm

I scanned through that thread but didn't think that was what you were referring to.
I'm now confused by your statement "assigned based on bedding type booked" - so if a standard suite was available with a King bed, I wouldn't be upgraded because the bedding type booked was queen? I find that strange, as I always considered a room with a kingsize bed to be superior to a room with a queensize bed. Do people prefer a room with a queensize bed over a room with a kingsize bed?

Thank you - i have learned something.
Old Feb 15, 2014, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
You were given what bed type you were booked. You do know the bedding rules, yes?
i was under the impression that the bedding rule was for a single bed as compared to 2 beds....

also, if you booked a king & were downgraded to a queen then i can see that as a problem but the other way around is an upgrade....

very often i book a queen bedded room since they tend to be a little cheaper than a king, but then i am upgraded to a king pretty much all the time....
Old Feb 16, 2014, 5:15 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Property: Westin Paris Vendôme
Dates(s): one night in February
Room booked: Superior Double
Room received: Superior King
BRG stay: (yes/no) No
Comments: Suites, Junior suites and Eiffel Tower view rooms were available at time of check-in on spg.com
Did not ask for an upgrade because Mrs Yul_voyager arrived one hour earlier and made the check-in.
Old Feb 17, 2014, 9:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager
Property: Westin Paris Vendôme
Dates(s): one night in February
Room booked: Superior Double
Room received: Superior King
BRG stay: (yes/no) No
Comments: Suites, Junior suites and Eiffel Tower view rooms were available at time of check-in on spg.com
Did not ask for an upgrade because Mrs Yul_voyager arrived one hour earlier and made the check-in.
I do not understand how this is a fail. Is this the proper procedure a property should take if a non elite guest checks in before the elite guest?

I haven't stayed at this property, but out of the suite types listed above which are considered Select Standard Suites and how many does this property have?
Old Feb 17, 2014, 3:30 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
I do not understand how this is a fail. Is this the proper procedure a property should take if a non elite guest checks in before the elite guest?

I haven't stayed at this property, but out of the suite types listed above which are considered Select Standard Suites and how many does this property have?
I would think Junior Suite are Select Standard Suites, but even without a suite upgrade, I think a room with a view is not a unreasonable expectation if they are available...
Old Feb 22, 2014, 4:28 pm
uxb
Original Poster

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Property: Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa
Dates(s): 18-23 February 2014
Room booked: Traditional x 2
Room received: Traditional x 2
Award stay: Yes x 1, FAN
BRG stay: Yes x 1
SNA(s) requested: Yes
Comments: Not one request was honoured despite having made this reservation a half-year ago. 30 min + wait at check-in since priority queue went ignored. Rooms weren't ready on arrival. Room received at check-in was dirty. Shouted down by the housekeeper for complaining about her "work." Broken in-room internet for entirety of stay. Seems about right. Thanks SPG for mucking up the one stay of the year that counted.
Old Feb 27, 2014, 9:03 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Hotel excelsior naples, italy
Date: feb 2x - march 0x
To: deluxe king with sea view
Award: YES

- Only 1 category up upgrade and as per front desk and bellman 50% occupancy rate (low season). Out of curiosity just asked as it was so quiet. Didnt push/demand for suite upgrade as i never do that.

- But whatever, service counts the most and the guys/gals working here are super friendly and smiling, unlike the other excelsiors in italy. So not complaining at all.

18 REAL Suite upgrades out of 23 nights so far for 2014 this year is a blessing considering i still have all 10 SNA's intact.

- And to this one pitbull who questions every posts here that a deluxe room or corner room or room with a view, or even a club room at any given starwood property 'may' be a SSSuite as per hotel's policy...Please dont bother questioning me as you, yourself dont know each and every single hotel's policy regarding select standard suites, unless you have stayed at all the hotels in question that we flyertalkers have considered as a 'fail'.

Last edited by supatight80; Feb 27, 2014 at 9:34 pm
Old Feb 28, 2014, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by uxb
Post what you feel is a failure based on the T+C (which upgrades Plats to the best available room, including standard suites, at check-in). Failures may include instances where the front desk is challenged on upgrade availability. Failures may also include instances where SNAs requests were not honoured. To post your failure, please use the format below:
Property: Westin Golf Resort & Spa Playa Conchal
Dates(s): 2/22 to 3/1/2014
Room booked: standard
Room received (if different than above): standard
Award stay: (yes/no), type (C+P, FAN, FWN, FRN, SPG50, etc.) yes
BRG stay: (yes/no)
SNA(s) requested: (yes/no)
Comments:
SPG platinum status

A standard room was booked. A standard room was received. There was no upgrade for my platinum status.

I am exploring a way to keep track of upgrade failures on this OP. Stay tuned.

Last edited by arkyrab; Sep 18, 2014 at 5:31 pm Reason: clarification
Old Feb 28, 2014, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by supatight80
Hotel excelsior naples, italy
Date: feb 2x - march 0x
To: deluxe king with sea view
Award: YES

- Only 1 category up upgrade and as per front desk and bellman 50% occupancy rate (low season). Out of curiosity just asked as it was so quiet. Didnt push/demand for suite upgrade as i never do that.

- But whatever, service counts the most and the guys/gals working here are super friendly and smiling, unlike the other excelsiors in italy. So not complaining at all.

18 REAL Suite upgrades out of 23 nights so far for 2014 this year is a blessing considering i still have all 10 SNA's intact.

- And to this one pitbull who questions every posts here that a deluxe room or corner room or room with a view, or even a club room at any given starwood property 'may' be a SSSuite as per hotel's policy...Please dont bother questioning me as you, yourself dont know each and every single hotel's policy regarding select standard suites, unless you have stayed at all the hotels in question that we flyertalkers have considered as a 'fail'.
I'm just wondering how you know what you got wasn't the best available room? Was this confirmed somehow?

Cheers,
Old Feb 28, 2014, 6:31 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Originally Posted by Flews
I'm just wondering how you know what you got wasn't the best available room? Was this confirmed somehow?

Cheers,
Hotel has quite a number of suites from jr. up to 4 different levels of suite category. For standard rooms its only superior and deluxe. Its like i got a 'gold' upgrade.

Hotel is really, really, really empty unfortunately from what i noticed. As mentioned, front desk said 50% occupancy rate and said 'slow' season. Doubt it if everybody registered booked all the suites.

I also check platinum reviews at spg.com to see what they got as upgrades. Also checked online if can book suite. All were avail. at time of checking.

But like i said, didnt mention when checking in if i can get a suite upgrade...maybe its my fault for not trying....but im just by myself on vacation so no problem and staffs here are fantastic Just saying it wasnt the best available room incl. SSSuites upon check-in.

And on a side note, 3 min. Long distance call to canada from this hotel was 1.30 euros Hotel doesnt add surcharges or nuthin like that. What they pay at home is what you pay at hotel

Last edited by supatight80; Feb 28, 2014 at 8:10 pm Reason: wrong gramming and wrong speeling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.