Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG survey - new benefits in the works?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2010, 7:09 am

Programs: *wood & marriott plat, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by Pizzaman

If Starwood does institute lifetime status AND won't count my nights accumulated since I joined the program, I will most assuredly move every stay over to Hyatt. I don't want to be overly dramatic, but I think not recognizing the patronage over the years would be a big factor for me.
I wouldn't move my stays but that would really . Prior stays or nights count half would be an Option.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 7:35 am

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by SC Alum
I wouldn't move my stays but that would really . Prior stays or nights count half would be an Option.
Or, they could just recognize our full commitment. I would feel differently if we were talking about program integration (SPG acquired some hotel chain and didn't want to offer me full credit for stays with that chain).

However, in many instances, I have paid more than I needed to in order to log a stay with the SPG program. I mostly received my Plat benefits, so I don't have much of an issue there. But, for them to introduce a lifetime status, and then tell me that the hundreds of nights I've accumulated don't count would be, IMO, disingenuous.

Hyatt has given me credit towards lifetime status for every stay I've had. They'll get virtually all my business if SPG goes this route.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 7:57 am

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I gave up on the survey after about 10 mins, I was sick and tired of the same most desirable and least desirable questions being asked and compared against one another

For 500 points it's not worth 30+ mins of my time.

FAIL to Starwood to have a survey that takes that long!
Old Sep 30, 2010, 8:12 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by AndDee
I gave up on the survey after about 10 mins, I was sick and tired of the same most desirable and least desirable questions being asked and compared against one another

For 500 points it's not worth 30+ mins of my time.

FAIL to Starwood to have a survey that takes that long!
7k to 15k SPG points would have been more satisfying, if curiosity hadn't gotten the better part of me.

For a comparable length survey, Hyatt's given me 10,000 to 20,000 Hyatt points.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 8:30 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Originally Posted by goplaces
Did anyone else get asked about how often they purchased fresh vegetables, or whether decor was important when choosing a hotel?
Yes, I got those questions as well--sometimes I think those are just added in to make sure you are really reading the questions, rather than just hitting the buttons.

As for Infinite Elite status, I'd love it to count ALL past stays. After doing the survey, I checked my Hyatt account and since 1995, it appears I have over 600 nights accumulated. It would be great if that counted for something, especially as I'm down to a mere Platinum with them now
Old Sep 30, 2010, 9:54 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by kyunbit
How do I get these surveys?
The best thing you can do is be sure that your SPG account is opted in for receiving surveys. Other than this, not much. SPG's market research is sent to a random sample of members and as such, they don’t control who receives the survey.

However, for those members who may on occasion receive a survey, SPG greatly appreciates the time that you take to respond and provide your input.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Sep 30, 2010, 9:57 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Originally Posted by mauld
Yes, I got those questions as well--sometimes I think those are just added in to make sure you are really reading the questions, rather than just hitting the buttons.

As for Infinite Elite status, I'd love it to count ALL past stays. After doing the survey, I checked my Hyatt account and since 1995, it appears I have over 600 nights accumulated. It would be great if that counted for something, especially as I'm down to a mere Platinum with them now
Agree. I'll qualify with 500 nights in a year or two (I don't travel as much now) and pretty sure quite a few people would qualify right away. It should be nights not stays to curb hotel hopping. I like the Platinum as it is now but I think it is fair if some real road warriors (100 nights at least a year) would get "Diamond". Status based on $$ spent is also in SPG's best interest and will be fair to St. Regis customers.
(Didn't get the survey here in YYZ -- Plat since 2001).
Old Sep 30, 2010, 10:27 am
ftv

Programs: AS MVP 100K, F9 dirt Hilton damond, Choice Gold, Former DL Plat, UA 1K
Originally Posted by ldsant
I don't understand how Starwood can't even live up to it's current Platinum benefits and yet they're trying to talk about a new level?! Amazing. . .
My thoughts exactly.

SPG needs to put their efforts towards solidifying Platinum benefits and assuring 100 percent delivery across all hotels before even thinking about another level which may-or-may-not deliver.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by goplaces
I got the survey too, and after 20 minutes of trying to parse very fine distinctions between adding breakfast or adding fitness center access to the current Starwood program vs. Hyatt's fictional "super elite" program vs. Hyatt's current program (about which I know nothing) vs. InterContinental's fictional "super elite" program I just gave up and said I'd split my nights evenly. I perked back up when they asked about 500 nights earning lifetime status....yes please! And give credit for nights this year, thanks.

Did anyone else get asked about how often they purchased fresh vegetables, or whether decor was important when choosing a hotel?
yes. I think my survey was slightly different as I dont rarely travel for business, but I do have the SPG AMEX.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ftv
My thoughts exactly.

SPG needs to put their efforts towards solidifying Platinum benefits and assuring 100 percent delivery across all hotels before even thinking about another level which may-or-may-not deliver.
I agree. Please first make the hotels really honor Plat published benefits without hassles (suite upgrades and late check-outs are still persistent problems) and get rid of the language that allows hotels to evade the rules (suites not ready, convention/resort exemptions).

Hotels should be required to post accurate lounge opening times and days on their websites and to confirm this information in writing automatically whenever a Plat makes a reservation. I'm sick of doing everything I reasonably can to check that the lounge exists and will be open only to learn upon arrival that it's been closed for months or always closes for three days every weekend.

I've been concerned recently that the enlarged SPG Ambassador program is stealing upgrades from Plats anyway. It seems unfair that a call from the Ambassador can guarantee lots of goodies while Plats battle to get hotels to honor published policies and not play games with whether suites are standard and ready/available.

For the record, as a long-term member of SPG and its predecessors, I went from always comped Gold with almost no stay/night credits (because I was crediting to airline miles) to Plat with about 60-75 LC nights and 10-15 St. Regis nights (which didn't post properly) down to requalifying Plat on stays at a variety of properties because I learned that I was not invited into the Ambassadors program when the experiment started. I find the Plat concierges get worse all the time, most recently with one last night whose spoken English was so bad it scared me because I had a hard time distinguishing the words "St. Regis," "Westin," and "Le Royal Meridien."

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Sep 30, 2010 at 11:33 am
Old Sep 30, 2010, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Sounds like I was in the minority of recipients who got the "lifetime status" version. The rest of my questions seemed the same as the other version (eg: health club access, breakfast, airline lounge access, guaranteed suite upgrades, ability to earn or redeem points at other chains, etc, etc). Even the fresh vegetable question! FWIW, my survey also focused on "nights" and not "stays". Nothing, however, focused on what lifetime tier would be granted...if it is gold, that's not worth much (I honestly can't say I've ever seen any benefit of being gold). Plat may be worth something.

I generally qualify on nights, and I have to admit that if my status were diluted by creation of a "supertier", I would have to seriously consider cashing out to another chain...probably RC/Marriott now that RC finally admitted they need a loyalty program (this AFTER I spent six figures with them!) . SPG platinum benefits have been spotty at best for me (30% on upgrades, denied the few times I wanted 4pm checkout, and weak domestic lounge offerings). But, the points rack up fast, and the ability to transfer them to an airline is very useful to me.

I think 500 points was a bit weak for the length of the survey, but I'm glad that SPG is asking my input. Hopefully this ends up going in a good direction.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, CO Platinum, SPG Platinum
Lifetime Status

Thought it was worth sharing that I was asked to participate by SPG in a survey (for which I would receive 500 points, of course I did it). The subject of the survey was clearly concerning various aspects of hotel lifetime status programs, and seemed to be comparing various aspects of a hypothetical SPG program versus other hotel chains. Questions related to how many night until a lifetime status was reached, whether the counting of nights for lifetime status would be going forward only or would reach back for a period oft time what benefits lifetime status might confer, and what additional benefits might be awarded upon reaching lifetime status. All in all, very interesting, and hopefully a prelude to what would be a very welcome announcement.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 4:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by CCFlyer17
I was asked to participate by SPG in a survey
As were lots of others....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...its-works.html
Old Sep 30, 2010, 4:58 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by CCFlyer17
Thought it was worth sharing that I was asked to participate by SPG in a survey (for which I would receive 500 points, of course I did it). The subject of the survey was clearly concerning various aspects of hotel lifetime status programs, and seemed to be comparing various aspects of a hypothetical SPG program versus other hotel chains. Questions related to how many night until a lifetime status was reached, whether the counting of nights for lifetime status would be going forward only or would reach back for a period oft time what benefits lifetime status might confer, and what additional benefits might be awarded upon reaching lifetime status. All in all, very interesting, and hopefully a prelude to what would be a very welcome announcement.
Interesting post.Thanks for sharing
It could be a brilliant move to insure a lot of business in a market where many of the heavy spenders bounce from program to program in search of the next best promotion and many simply seeking best rate/overall value.

I know I speak for myself/many how well this approach can work
I am just approaching the 4 million miles mark in the American Advantage program (still a small fry out there)
American cemented the lions share of all my business and took me away from United/Star Alliance.
United made it harder to reach life time status and American simply thought smarter IMO.

If SPG could execute this well this could be a huge driver for those that want to remain with SPG to obtain their new life sentence elite cards down the road
Sorry I just had to throw that in
Old Oct 2, 2010, 1:57 am

Programs: *wood & marriott plat, Hyatt, Accor
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I agree. Please first make the hotels really honor Plat published benefits without hassles (suite upgrades and late check-outs are still persistent problems) and get rid of the language that allows hotels to evade the rules (suites not ready, convention/resort exemptions).

"
Can't agree with you more MSP, 'super elite' will most definitely diminish Plat status, even if *wood vehemently denies it. There are just so many suites available to go around, with 'super elite', the probability of plats getting upgrades will be diminished significantly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.