Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SPG survey - new benefits in the works?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2010, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

SPG survey - new benefits in the works?

Just got a survey in the email from SPG - had some spare time, so I spent the 30 or so minutes to earn 500 starpoints. A lot of the questions were comparing SPG benefits to other programs (Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton). Several of the questions were "What if" type questions regarding possible new benefits, such as mid-tier airline elite status, airline lounge access, and lifetime status (with benefits such as free breakfast, etc). The questions regarding lifetime elite looked like Gold-level benefits, proposed at 100 nights, 200 nights, and 500 nights in different scenarios. Some of the scenarios counted the last 12 months of stays, others did not (but unfortunately, no scenario asked "would you really be cheezed off if we didn't count the last 12 months of stays").

Interesting to speculate - especially the lifetime elite status option!
Old Sep 29, 2010, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
I had a similar survey today. The big difference was instead of lifetime questions it was about a "super elite level". Questions were about benefits and also number of qualifying nights/stays.

The benefit that kept popping up for super elite was guaranteed suite upgrades.

Based on the way the survey was divided into sections, I would assume Hookem and I had the same survey except for the final third.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro (LT Gold), Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium, National Exec,Hyatt,Melia, BA Exec, Iberia+
lifetime status?

I had a similar survey today, focused on comparing different frequent hotel guest programs. There were several distinct sections, with the primary focuses seeming to be how much one might value lifetime status, and how much one values specific benefits within various programs. I would personally love if Starwood added some sort of lifetime status. I began my frequent travel focused on Marriott, and am not far from lifetime status there. However, in the past 2-3 years, I have converted to like Starwood more and stay more with Starwood. Would be great to have some recognition should my travel ever drop off for a year.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 3:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & Lifetime Platinum, United Platinum, Delta Silver
I received the survey about a super elite level as well. It basically asked what I would value most in a Super Elite level that would require either 100 or 120 nights to achieve and asked me to compare it to other programs' super elite level (and hypothetical changes in their benefits for super elites). Some of the options I was asked to evaluate included:

1. 10 guaranteed suite upgrades
2. 1 guaranteed suite upgrade per 10 stays
3. Free breakfast
4. Mid-tier level status on an airline
5. Discounts to airline clubs
6. One-day pass at an airline club
7. $50-$100 in spa/golf credit
8. Free dinners at a hotel
9. Ability to earn points at non-SPG properties if there were no SPG properties within 25 miles (no idea how they would operationalize that!)
10. Ability to gift status
11. Ability to "pool" points/status within a household
12. Increased points received per dollar
13. 5 "elite for a day" certificate
14. Free Internet

Plus others I cannot remember

I said I would be most excited about the guaranteed suite upgrades. The airline rewards do not excite me because I am already elite on my preferred airlines and I do not need free internet/breakfast, etc when traveling for business.

It seems that some of you on this board may get your wish for a super elite level depending on what SPG decides to do
Old Sep 29, 2010, 3:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I got the "super elite" version as well. I wonder if stay patterns trigger one version or the other.

The "guaranteed suite upgrades" just mirrored the Hyatt benefit as far as I could tell, but they also threw in things like 6AM checkin, free breakfast, handing out elite status, and getting comp (mid-tier) airline status.

Though I found a huge bug in the survey. It asked which FF programs I belonged to, then assumed that I was elite in all of them - it wouldn't take "no status" as an answer. And I still can't figure out why it asked if I purchased cereal for an adult in the household in the past year...

Now we'll see if the 500 points post.

Originally Posted by DCFlyer0306
Ability to earn points at non-SPG properties if there were no SPG properties within 25 miles (no idea how they would operationalize that!)
I was asked about redeeming at non-Starwood properties as well!
Old Sep 29, 2010, 4:02 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Mine was all about super-elite status too, but my excitement waned when the requirements for all the extra benefits were 75, 100, or 120 nights.

As a stay qualifier, I wasn't that interested and I hope that none of them get implemented for my own sake if it's a 75 night requirement.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 4:15 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, Hyatt Diamond, 10% progress towards lifetime Hyatt Diamond
I took some good notes of the survey. It was divided into two parts:

1. Comparison of possible benefit choices from a changing list of 5.
2. Lifetime Super Elite status

First, the comparison. They would put 5 random choices up on the screen and ask you to choose your most favorite and least favorite of JUST those 5. The list, if I got them all, was:

Rollover of nights towards elite status
Mid-tier status on a major airline
25% bonus towards highest tier hotel redemptions
Qualify for elite status based on points and nights/stays
Qualify for elite status based on points OR nights/stays
Access to concierge services
Free breakfast
Auto upgrade to best available room at check-in
Guaranteed 4pm checkout
Complimentary hotel lounge access
Airline club lounge day pass
1 confirmable upgrade for every 10 paid nights
Elite members can pool points across family members.
Complimentary spa or massage services
10 suite upgrade nights on any stays (paid or mileage)
Complimentary 2 entrees in hotel restaurant
1.5 times normal points earning rate
Companion ticket when you redeem points for an airline ticket
Use points for hotels outside chain
Welcome amenity
Complimentary health club access
Gift status to family
48-hour guaranteed room availability
Accrue points on any hotel stay if there is no availability within 25 miles
Top of the upgrade list for suites
Complimentary internet
No resort fees
5 night credit towards elite status for CC holders
Discounted annual membership to airline lounge
Check-in at 6 am
5 "Elite for a Day" certificates to give to family and friends
5 nights credited towards qualification of highest tier status automatically
Access to a dedicated individual to plan all aspects of your trip.
Exclusive access to premium cabin international flights
$100 gift card towards a round of golf

Then, the details for Lifetime Elite Plus:

Earned after 500 cumulative nights of paid stays
5 confirmable suite upgrade nights for every 25 paid nights
10 night credit towards highest elite tier
50% bonus points earned on all purchases
Upgrades to best available room at check-in
Complimentary newspaper
Free breakfast
Lifetime club lounge access
Dedicated concierge
Stays from the last 12 months will count towards the 500 night count.

I saw a few benefits that intrigued me (access to premium cabins, mid-tier status on airline, rollover nights). I have no belief whatsoever that any of them will see the light of day.

If Starwood does institute lifetime status AND won't count my nights accumulated since I joined the program, I will most assuredly move every stay over to Hyatt. I don't want to be overly dramatic, but I think not recognizing the patronage over the years would be a big factor for me.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 4:25 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Pizzaman
The list, if I got them all
Some of those options were also tied directly to having the Amex card.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Some of those options were also tied directly to having the Amex card.
In the survey I received, there was no mention of things tied to having the AMEX card. Sounds like there may be different versions of the survey. Not surprising.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Pizzaman
In the survey I received, there was no mention of things tied to having the AMEX card.
In particular, the 5 night "advance" sometimes had the credit card requirement, and sometimes didn't. I almost missed the distinction myself.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 4:46 pm

Programs: Delta-Diamond, Marriott-Platinum, *wood-Plat, Hyatt-Plat, HH-Silver, Frontier-Ascent, Hertz-Prez0
Just finished it. I think it was way too long for only 500 points but I appreciate being asked.

Mine focused totally on super elite level, no questions about lifetime status.

And yes the Cereal for an adult was there and the airline elite bug.

I think it sufficiently confused me, now I don't know where to spend my next 10 nights.

It seemed to me like they were very focused on what to set the night threshold at, 75, 100 or 120 and kept moving around benefits to see if I would bite.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
In particular, the 5 night "advance" sometimes had the credit card requirement, and sometimes didn't. I almost missed the distinction myself.
Oh, yeah. I vaguely recall seeing one option that was tied to the credit card and one that wasn't.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by politicalhack2
It seemed to me like they were very focused on what to set the night threshold at, 75, 100 or 120 and kept moving around benefits to see if I would bite.
I was very consistent - I always voted for the option that took the least number of nights regardless of the benefits.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
I got this and it took all of the advertised 30 minutes because I really had to concentrate oa a few of the comparission questions.

I am a refugee from Marriott Rewards and I always am suspicious of these surveys
Old Sep 29, 2010, 6:34 pm

Programs: United 1K MM, Starwood Platinum
I got the survey too, and after 20 minutes of trying to parse very fine distinctions between adding breakfast or adding fitness center access to the current Starwood program vs. Hyatt's fictional "super elite" program vs. Hyatt's current program (about which I know nothing) vs. InterContinental's fictional "super elite" program I just gave up and said I'd split my nights evenly. I perked back up when they asked about 500 nights earning lifetime status....yes please! And give credit for nights this year, thanks.

Did anyone else get asked about how often they purchased fresh vegetables, or whether decor was important when choosing a hotel?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.