Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W New York Downtown, New York City [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W New York Downtown, New York City [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2010, 9:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
Originally Posted by From NYC
Thanks for the report. As an aside, we here in NYC don't refer to subway lines by color, but by number or letter: #1, 2, 3, 4, etc, or A, B, C, D. If you ask someone on the street where the yellow line subway is, they'd look at you like you don't know what you're talking about. Same thing if you're already in the subway and looking to transfer from one line to another: you won't find signs indicating directions to the yellow or red line; they'll be by number or letter. Granted, signage and such is a continual problem if you're new to riding the subway here, but better not to add to the confusion that can happen.

Just an FYI.
Unless we're in the habit of calling it the IRT...
Old Sep 24, 2010, 10:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
I made a free weekend night award redemption reservation here in July. Two days ago, it was booked as a Wonderful King - all good. This morning, I call and inquire and they let me know I'm now blocked into a Spectacular King (no suites yet, they say). I land for my flight in and check the SPG app and see I'm now in a Wonderful Double. Huh? So, I call the hotel and argue with someone who tries to convince me I always selected a Double and they don't owe me any preference anyway for an award (technically true). I go back and forth a bit with them, and they ultimately swap me back into a King (probably punting someone else out of it), but not before giving me such a nasty attitude that I inquire about if they could just cancel the whole thing without penalty and let me stay elsewhere.

Ultimately, I made it here, checked in, and am satisfied with where I ended up, but oy what a struggle. And, incidentally, for what? This property is nothing to write home about: fairly small rooms (I saw the Spec. K and the Cool Corner K) with so-so views (condos got the good ones). Decent style in the rooms, but to be honest I've been spoiled by the Andaz WS downtown: larger rooms, less nickel-and-diming on things, and a staff that makes me feel welcome. Oh, well... I've got a few more FWNs to burn, and they won't go here (my paid stays in NYC seem to be going Andez WS or 5Ave anyway).

A shame, really, I used to be such a *wood fan. Well, maybe next time.
Old Oct 7, 2010, 5:19 pm

Just posted this on Tripadvisor (added it here FYI and added the question on the bottom):

Only open just 7 weeks, we were surprised to see just how smoothly everything runs at the new W New York Downtown. We learned over the course of our 5 night stay that many of the staff have been with W hotels for many years. They must have chosen the cream of the crop for opening this new location. Every single person we met was friendly and solicitous and if they did not know what to do, they did not hesitate to find someone who did. We were made to feel as valued guests.

Hip,sleek, shiny, modern and pretty...... as you would expect from a W. The rooms were a good size for NYC standards. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom and shower was great. Linens were top notch and the towels new and plush. Kind of everything you would expect from the words "W" and "new."

Although you are waayyy downtown, 3 major subway lines are within a block or 2 walk. The hotel has a Acura service that will drive you anywhere in the city for free. Just be prepared for a marketing pitch on the Acura. Not a hard sell though and it was a nice feature.

We ate at BLT for dinner and it was outstanding. Still quiet but the food and service was great. Breakfast was just "ehh."

Our only complaint involved noise:
Understandably, the dismantling of the building across the street is beyond their control. All of lower Manhattan in transforming and building. We were on floor 8 and unfortunate enough to have that exact floor the one currently being worked on. I even got a wave from the work crew who could not have been more than 50ft from my window. We were told it takes 2 weeks per floor for dismantling. I wish we had been on floor 9 or visited 2 weeks later. We had busy days and most often, out of the room during the day but still. No one knows what might be built in it's place but the current construction will be short term.

We heard no noise from room to room....that was a plus!

But..........It is a tall and narrow building and almost all rooms on the floors have close proximity to the 3 elevators. The elevators did not create a problem in our room but the doors to the hall do not block the sound of the guests standing waiting for them. Almost all rooms are somewhat adjacent. No one seems to realize how loud their voices are and how they carry once they are out of their own rooms. As the hotel becomes more occupied, this might be more of an issue.

Finally, I don't know how they can fix our biggest issue. Late into the night (2-6am), when all external noise has subsided and the air-conditioner is not running, the music from the lobby can be heard through the air ducts. Our first night, we thought the speakers for the outside terrace bar had been left on. The next night, we thought it was a nearby rooftop club? Then we thought it might be from the elevators..... but the sound was coming from further inside the room. It wasn't until 3 nights into our stay that we figured out what it could possibly be. The Front desk said they have never heard anyone complain about this issue before. Maybe it was our room location or proximity to the lobby (were were on floor 8 and the lobby is on 5) or just the fact that we were up at that time (not by choice)??? I haven't heard anyone else mention this issue and cannot make recommendations as to how future guests might avoid this problem.

Other than that, we had a wonderful stay.
__________________________________________________ _

This issue did actually wake us up each night and effected our stay. We did have them put our complaint into our record but nothing was offered (room change, etc.).

I guess I am trying to figure out if I should send a letter of complaint to the management???? This was a points redemption stay.

Last edited by msk6261; Oct 9, 2010 at 2:10 pm
Old Oct 14, 2010, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by msk6261
This issue did actually wake us up each night and effected our stay. We did have them put our complaint into our record but nothing was offered (room change, etc.).

I guess I am trying to figure out if I should send a letter of complaint to the management???? This was a points redemption stay.
Well, I did choose to send an email to the GM after they sent a post-stay message asking "How was it for you?":

"Well Hello There .......,

Thank you for your stay at W New York - Downtown. Was your stay Wonderful? Was the service fabulous? We'd like to know if anything during your visit was less than perfect. We're genuinely interested in hearing about your experience and how we can fulfill your wishes in the future. Please e-mail any of your suggestions to [email protected].

Warmest wishes,"

I included the good and the bad but I have yet to get a response from the hotel directly. I would like to escalate this issue but don't know the proper channels

Starwood? SPG? or W Corporate?
(specific email addresses for individuals would be helpful as the websites only offer the complaint form with tiny little boxes for the most minimal of information.........and who knows who will receive that info?)

Last edited by msk6261; Oct 14, 2010 at 2:24 pm
Old Nov 18, 2010, 9:11 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
I'm trying to get a feel for the noise here with the construction. I used to stay regularly at the Millenium (sic) Hilton, but the noise became intolerable and I discontinued staying there.

Any tips on requests to make for where it might be the quietest, or if it is possible to have quiet at all?
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:35 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by l'etoile
I'm trying to get a feel for the noise here with the construction. I used to stay regularly at the Millenium (sic) Hilton, but the noise became intolerable and I discontinued staying there.

Any tips on requests to make for where it might be the quietest, or if it is possible to have quiet at all?
Definitely on the back side of the hotel (away from Ground Zero), if at all.

When we were there, the construction was at a standstill, as it was Sept. 11., but the building directly in front of the hotel, between the W and Ground Zero, was clearly in demolition mode -- just on hiatus at the time. Personally, if I were concerned about noise, I'd either request the opposite side of the hotel, and the highest possible floor (which actually doesn't go very high anyway), or stay elsewhere.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Definitely on the back side of the hotel (away from Ground Zero), if at all.

When we were there, the construction was at a standstill, as it was Sept. 11., but the building directly in front of the hotel, between the W and Ground Zero, was clearly in demolition mode -- just on hiatus at the time. Personally, if I were concerned about noise, I'd either request the opposite side of the hotel, and the highest possible floor (which actually doesn't go very high anyway), or stay elsewhere.
Thanks. I stopped staying at the Hilton when construction was going 24 hours a day. I can't find anything on the progress websites to say if that's still the case. I'm mostly just concerned with construction noise overnight.

Addition: Just got a nice note back from the hotel. I was told they don't get noise from the WTC site construction and the building in front that's being demolished is so supposed to be down to the ground by the end of December. That should work well for me since I'm booking for January.

Last edited by l etoile; Nov 19, 2010 at 11:10 am
Old Nov 21, 2010, 5:42 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
$199 - W New York Downtown

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
... but the building directly in front of the hotel, between the W and Ground Zero, was clearly in demolition mode -- just on hiatus at the time.
Might be a reason for this TVZOO11 rate?

http://www.travelzoo.com/hotels/new-york/922020/
Old Dec 14, 2010, 12:08 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
My review

Here is my tripadvisor review, posted here as well (I gave this hotel a 3 rating):

Just came back after a free night here using my SPG hotel points. The biggest problem with this hotel is its location. Their Acura drop-off service is a joke and no taxis will come to this area on weekend unless a hotel guest is arriving back to the hotel and taxi agrees to take you. The hotel is 1.5 blocks inside a main street with nothing but construction going on. The hotel is OK for weekday business crowd who are staying for business in downtown financial district. If you are arriving here for weekend (or weekday) stay for NYC attractions, look elsewhere unless you are getting a free night with your hotel points and all other starwood hotels in prime spots in NYC are not available. We had to wait 15 minutes for a taxi and I can see guests waiting for longer than 30 minutes during peak evening times to get one. It is about $18-19 each way from here to time square area by taxi. The contruction noise was not an issue for us as the contruction was not taking place on Sunday morning and it was raining, but I can see that as a problem also as noted by previous reviewers.

The staff is friendly and extremely helpful, lobby is wonderful (but no action at all when we were there on a saturday evening during prime Christmas time), and rooms are nice and comfortable.
Old Dec 27, 2010, 1:16 pm

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
valet costs

$55 for regular car and $65 for SUV with no in and out privileges.

WOW - two parking garages close by are $30 each for 24hrs...

Staying here for NYE will report back!

-cheers
Old Dec 27, 2010, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by sjuhawk_jd
Their Acura drop-off service is a joke ...
Can you elaborate ...
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:00 am

W downtown is OK

Check in for two rooms 30th through 2nd, using all points.

We drove there and parked in the parking garage (3 within 2 blocks), and shaved $20 off what W charges. Guy out front was nice and attentive (he was there daily) and took care of my wife while I parked the car. We saw him he was working...
Check-in: No recognition of Plat status and preupgraded to Spectacular room. No corner rooms as early check-ins got them all. Wasn’t asked about Plat amenity until I requested it...
One room was booked with more points to secure a double bed. Was given a King...so had to go back down and switch...
Elevators are fast....I mean fast. Key cards are used by touch in the elevator and door. In addition, the key card must be placed in a "holder" in order for the lights to work. Elevators had some issues with cards not reading and they placed a person in front of the elevator when not operational.
Room: Rooms are nice and bed comfy. Walls are THIN, full conversations can be heard. Restroom is nicely appointed but small. Again, the walls are thin so everything going on in the RR can be heard.
Views are awesome...until the building next door is built. Century 21 is great and Harry's Italian is great.
Location: can be boring immediately outside the area, but you’re in NYC and a few blocks away (even walking) and you’re in the middle of everything again.
Bar: Great bar staff – again talkative and generous. Not sure why but we were “hooked up”. Being nice always helps.
Staff: Other than FD everyone was great, friendly, talkative, Sir, Ma’am, etc
Acura Service: Prefer to walk so didnt use...saw it outside sitting all the time. Was off during NYE.

Construction: we were gone all day so didnt hear much...plus the holidays factored in.

I won’t stay here again, as there are too many properties, SPG and others, to explore and I prefer being able to walk outside and be in the middle of it all.

Kudos to the staff...best W staff so far.

Last edited by singtx; Jan 5, 2011 at 11:29 am
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:12 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Question

Originally Posted by singtx
Check in for two rooms 30th through 2nd, using all points.

We drove there and parked in the parking garage (3 within 2 blocks), and shaved $20 off what W charges. Guy out front was nice and attentive (he was there daily) and took care of my wife while I parked the car. We saw him he was working...
Check-in: No recognition of Plat status and preupgraded to Spectacular room. No corner rooms as early check-ins got them all. Wasn’t asked about Plat amenity until I requested it...still no Plat recognition.
One room was booked with more points to secure a double bed. Was given a King...so had to go back down and switch...
Elevators are fast....I mean fast. Key cards are used by touch in the elevator and door. In addition, the key card must be placed in a "holder" in order for the lights to work. Elevators had some issues with cards not reading and they placed a person in front of the elevator when not operational.
Room: Rooms are nice and bed comfy. Walls are THIN, full conversations can be heard. Restroom is nicely appointed but small. Again, the walls are thin so everything going on in the RR can be heard.
Views are awesome...until the building next door is built. Century 21 is great and Harry's Italian is great.
Location: can be boring immediately outside the area, but you’re in NYC and a few blocks away (even walking) and you’re in the middle of everything again.
Bar: Great bar staff – again talkative and generous. Not sure why but we were “hooked up”. Being nice always helps.
Staff: Other than FD everyone was great, friendly, talkative, Sir, Ma’am, etc
Acura Service: Prefer to walk so didnt use...saw it outside sitting all the time. Was off during NYE.

Construction: we were gone all day so didnt hear much...plus the holidays factored in.

I won’t stay here again, as there are too many properties, SPG and others, to explore and I prefer being able to walk outside and be in the middle of it all.

Kudos to the staff...best W staff so far.
Might I ask, what were you expecting?
Old Jan 5, 2011, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by KENNECTED
Might I ask, what were you expecting?
Fixed...didnt come across correctly and I didnt expect anything.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 6:48 am

Here now and the demolition of the building that was to be completed by the end of December is still going on. I wrote in advance and requested a quiet room and received a room on the backside of the hotel. I was originally upgraded to a corner, but was told a room not on the corner would be quietest so opted for the downgrade. The construction is not too bad, but does begin at 5:30 a.m. Noise is not constant and work has stopped each day well before I returned to my room to change for dinner. There is more noise in the halls from staff (noisy room service delivery to another room at 5 a.m., for example, than from outside). There also seemed to be some work starting rather early inside the hotel - sounded like handsawing and/or running wires through the walls.

Staff, especially door and greeters, are pleasant. The valets work hard to get cabs. The Accura service is very convenient. You can reserve up to a day in advance and they'll take you as far as 88th, I think, which could easily be a $30 cab fare.

The public areas are attractive and there is ice skating on the fifth floor through sometime in February. The room is rather funky, done in a Disneyesque space pod style, with all-white laminate and glass on walls in angular shapes. I keep feeling as though I'm on the Space Tours ride. I find the bed rather hard. The desk area is filled with so much - Munchie Box, stationery box, hotel guide, wine and wine glasses, water for sale and glasses on a tray, W book - that there's little space left for any personal belongings and a laptop. You pretty much have to rearrange the space.

While counter space is in short supply in the bathroom, there is a large nearly empty (only hairdryer is there) drawer in the bottom of the vanity so plenty of storage there. Overall, room is only slightly bigger than a dorm room.

For only being open four months, the hotel room isn't wearing well. The handle is broken on the closet door and on the sliding door that closes off the bathroom. The faucet on the sink swivels. The door to the BLT downstairs is flawed in its design and will likely hurt someone. It appears as though a smaller window section is the door, but it is actually the large section. When opened, the large door has a lot of momentum and swings out of control into the wall. I watched someone else do this and the hostess tell him, "That happens all the time." They need to have the installer out to fix that.

A pleasant staff (save for housekeepers that ignore the DND sign and try to open the room anyway in the morning), low rates and the car service that has saved me about $30 a day in cab fares even when including tip are the positives of this hotel.

BTW, for anyone planning on staying here after Jan. 18 (forget the to date) there is an offer on Travelzoo to get $100+ in drinks and appetizers at the hotel for $35 (came out today Jan. 12).

Last edited by l etoile; Jan 12, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.