Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W New York Downtown, New York City [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W New York Downtown, New York City [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:38 am

Programs: SPG Plat, WN CP, Many Others
Originally Posted by heakja
Nice! Anyone know if the plat treatment has improved at this hotel? Numerous posts on tripadvisor suggest that its not very good...
I dont think they have rooms larger than the Cool Corner. I booked a Spectacular for the guaranteed view. I checked in around 11am (2 night stay) and asked about a corner room and they said if I waited until 3-4pm to checkin they had one, but it would not be the WTC view. I opted to get the spectacular room I booked so I would get the view and my room right then.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 1:23 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA Gold
Originally Posted by millere2
I dont think they have rooms larger than the Cool Corner. I booked a Spectacular for the guaranteed view. I checked in around 11am (2 night stay) and asked about a corner room and they said if I waited until 3-4pm to checkin they had one, but it would not be the WTC view. I opted to get the spectacular room I booked so I would get the view and my room right then.
They do have something called "Ultra Cool Corner" -

Ultra Superior Room In W Style, Located At End Of The Hall, North & West Views From 2 Windows, Upgraded Stereo.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 12:56 pm

Programs: LH, SPG
At the property right now.

I have to say I was rather disappointed with the rooms - cool corner and a regular room booked at $800 and $500, respectively. The regular room was upgraded one notch, but the cool corner (where my wife and I were staying) was just super tiny and I didn't think it was anywhere near worth the price of admission. Talked to staff last night, but it was late and all their better rooms (cool corner on higher floors or suites) were taken. This morning however our cool corner was upgraded to an extreme wow at no extra charge (last minute cancellation by an a-list celeb) and I'm very happy. Now it must be said that "extreme wow" in NYC is still pretty small, definitely not the same as, say, in Boston or Barcelona, but it is a very nice suite with wraparound views incl. the twin tower sites. Anyway, my initial disappointment is gone and mad props to the staff (especially GM Warren) for their attention.

So the takeaway is that the hotel is a NYC hotel with pretty small and rather expensive rooms, and their room categories don't quite match those at other Ws, but I guess that should be no big surprise for anyone spending time in NYC regularly. The staff however is unprecedentedly nice.

Sorry about typos and brevity; sent from iPad.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA, WN, SPG, HGP, FPC
Keep an eye out for the Linsanity! Jeremy Lin, Knicks fad phenom just rented a condo in the W.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...c5EaT3Fw9wuiUK

Breakout Knick star Jeremy Lin is renting an all-inclusive, impeccably furnished pad at the W Hotel in the Financial District, sources told The Post.
His swanky, 1,182-square-foot condo at the Sunshine Select Residences is in addition to his new digs at the Trump Tower in White Plains.

And both are vast improvements over crashing on a couch at his brother’s Lower East Side pad, which was Lin’s living situation just weeks ago.

The two-bedroom W suite comes outfitted with $30,000 to $35,000 worth of Tui Lifestyle furniture.

Rents there range from $3,600 to $8,900 a month, according to Streeteasy.com. The owner of Lin’s unit had put the two-bed, two-bath apartment up for sale for $2.315 million before renting it out.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 4:09 am

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
anybody stays here recently?

i'm considering where to stay between this hotel and andaz wall street

both prices are nearly the same in my period of stay.

thanks in advance
Old Apr 8, 2012, 8:11 am

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
We stayed here last weekend and had a great stay. Overall, it has a boutique-y feel to it and service was quite excellent. We debated between the Andaz Wall St (where we have stayed before) and here, but went with the W because they have a state government rate and the Andaz does not and we kind of like Ws of late. Both are great hotels IMHO.

Originally Posted by 3rdworldresident
anybody stays here recently?

i'm considering where to stay between this hotel and andaz wall street

both prices are nearly the same in my period of stay.

thanks in advance
Old May 24, 2012, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Just stayed there this week and had a very nice stay. Was upgraded to some sort of corner suite which was a nice size for NYC. Bed was incredible-felt much better than even the standard W bed.

Note: no standard suites at the hotel, so the super-duper-happy corner rooms, or whatever they're called, is as good as it gets. But they're quite nice.

Check-in and, for that matter, everyone at the hotel, was very friendly. When they gave me my wake-up call, it was a personal call and the person said, "Hi, it's your 6am wake-up call. Don't forget your umbrella today!" Cute touch.

Ordered room service both nights and food was delivered quickly. Oh, $5 for the soda? Okay, I'm used to that, but couldn't you at least bring me a can instead of the 8.5oz mini-bottle? Oh, and what's with the fact that it's BLT Steakhouse, but they don't have a BLT on the menu (Yeah, yeah, I know.)?

The room itself had one of those "insert your key to turn on the lights" guys, which doesn't bother me, but does seem to bother some around here.

The bathroom was just odd. As somebody else mentioned, there is no room for a toiletries kit on the sink and the towel rack is across the bathroom from the shower, meaning that there is a 50/50 shot that I'll go flying. I lucked out this time.

Nice TV which actually turned on when I pressed the button on the remote (which was covered in crumbs from the previous guest). No list of channels other than the one on the TV, though.

All in all, it was a nice stay. I'd stay here again if I am downtown.

Mike
Old Jun 17, 2012, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
I'm here right now. I'm in an Ultracool Corner room. It's pretty nice, but what committee of TOTAL MORONS designed a new-built hotel and decided to provide NO POWER OUTLETS next to the bed? The only power outlets are clear across the room, and pretty much used up by the phone and desk lamp (the noise machine is not even plugged in).
Old Jun 17, 2012, 7:11 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, UA Gold, EK
Originally Posted by EricH
I'm here right now. I'm in an Ultracool Corner room. It's pretty nice, but what committee of TOTAL MORONS designed a new-built hotel and decided to provide NO POWER OUTLETS next to the bed? The only power outlets are clear across the room, and pretty much used up by the phone and desk lamp (the noise machine is not even plugged in).
Agreed. I frequently stay here and get upgraded to Ultra Cool Corner and this annoys me a lot.
Old Jun 20, 2012, 11:22 am

checking in today

Excited to try this new W out for the first time today, will try to post a review when i leave tomorrow. SPG Gold with a reserved Spectacular room, wondering if i will get an upgrade...
Old Jun 20, 2012, 12:28 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, WN CP, Many Others
Originally Posted by shiframeir
Excited to try this new W out for the first time today, will try to post a review when i leave tomorrow. SPG Gold with a reserved Spectacular room, wondering if i will get an upgrade...
The only upgrade golds can get according to the terms is a better room within the room category booked. So unless they go above the terms you can expect a high floor spectacular room or maybe one away from the elevator, but that is about it. When I was gold I only received one upgrade above my room category I booked so dont count on much.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 8:42 pm

Programs: A few
I stayed here last week thanks to the wacky NYC BRG promo. I found it overall a very enjoyable place to stay. I am just not sure the regular rates make it particularly competitive against other compelling options in the downtown area.

I wrote up a review here: http://milesabound.com/w-new-york-downtown/
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:07 pm

best views are near the elevators in W Downtown

Generally really liked the W New York Downtown, with a couple tiny issues.

As an SPG gold i wanted a view of ground zero, and they gave me a great spectacular room overlooking the grounds and a direct view of the new buildings. room was really nice and we especially liked the design and little details (kids loved the ocean sound machine for going to sleep, and DVD player is a necessity if you have kids since they don't have a 24-hour toddler channel ala PBS kids/ Nick Jr).

the service in general was great, including a call to confirm all is well, bringing me a personal coffeemaker (but unlike Westin's and Sheraton's, this one had only medium starbucks, not the dark flavor we prefer and have gotten used to). they brought us free unlimited bottled water, and even came up with a bottle opener to open a beer for us (we bought it in a deli a few doors down for $2 instead of 6-7 in the minibar). They also allowed late checkout at 3pm (could have stayed til 4) the next day (SPGGold). That said, i didn't like that they didn't respect my free night (Best Rate Guarantee program) to allow me to have an SPG Gold amenity, but that could have just been some confusion.

the bathroom and room in general is funky and cool, and i loved the lemon scented bath bar etc., but the shower pressure could be better, and we found a little bit of hair on the side of the shower wall towards the back.

if you are staying here with a car, would suggest using the Groupon deal or a coupon (from the icon website) at the Icon parking lot just a few buildings down on albany street.
Old Jul 14, 2012, 9:41 am

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
Same here, I really enjoyed my second stay at the W Downtown. I really like the design + the location in DT. As SPG plat, I received an upgrade to a cool corner room which was fine (requested a room to the non-WTC side - got it).

Platinum breakfast is offered at the BLT bar and grill on 2nd floor (a la carte).
You have the choice of Coffee/Tee and Orange/Grapefruit Juice + a choice of Yogurt with fruits OR bakery basket OR cereals.
Anyways, the bakery basket is enough for at least 2 people!! I really enjoyed the breakfast. Would choose it again!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EXP 5MM, DL DM, Bonvoy Titanium, Avis CHM, National VIP
Stayed at the W Downtown for one night this week and was very disappointed. I've stayed there 2 or 3 times before and guess I was lucky with upgrades - must have been in Ultra Cool Corner rooms, as they were significantly larger than the Cool Corner room I was assigned at check-in. Clerk at front desk said they only have 3 suites and none are "standard" (just Wow and Extreme Wow) so they do not upgrade Plats to those).

Room was on the 6th (lowest) floor and was tiny, although it was a corner, with an ice machine directly across from the door (not in a nook or room, but right in the hall). The room also smelled of food - like it was above the exhaust vent for the restaurant below.

Asked if they had another room on a higher floor, and although spg.com showed Ultra Cool Corner and Cool Corners available, they said nothing else was available. Opted to move to a Spectacular room on a higher floor, which turned out to feel much larger than the Cool Corner.

However, the hallway smelled strongly of food odors - like people were cooking in their rooms. In fact, the whole floor smelled like a NY apartment building hall with food odor. Don't know for sure, but I suspect that they are housing some people displaced by Sandy. When I checked in, I heard the desk clerk mention "FEMA" a couple of times to other people checking in, and they were filling out some sort of form. One apparently had no valid credit card and that was causing a problem. I'm guessing that if that is the case, there is indeed cooking in the rooms.

Anyhow, given the lack of upgrade opportunity at this hotel and the relatively high rate (actually paid more than our corporate rate at the Ritz Carlton Battery Park), I don't think I'll be staying here again. In contrast, I've had great stays with nice upgrades at the W Union Square.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.