Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W New York Downtown, New York City [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

W New York Downtown, New York City [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2017, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I was here again last year. I still found the staff better than expected for a W, only thing to note is that the weekend parties seem to be a bit livelier - have never heard them from my room though.
its a work stay so won't be there during the weekend....its the only w in new york i haven't stayed in....
Old Jan 31, 2017, 5:56 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by Keyser
no update for a year....anyone stay here recently????i have a 2 night brg stay coming up next month....got a great $149 per night rate....
I have a 2 night stay in a months time for the exact same brg rate! Am waiting to hear back from my Ambassador what the plat breakfast offering is!
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
its a work stay so won't be there during the weekend....its the only w in new york i haven't stayed in....
A couple of things:
1. Depending on traffic, you may want to walk out to the main strip (out the hotel to the left) to catch a cab or an Uber. A couple of times I have spent 10-15 minutes getting 100 yards from the hotel in a car (the traffic pattern could be different now).
2. As has been reported, the rooms are of the white W style and pretty functional overall, except for the lack of outlets.
3. There are a few pretty good choices for food within 40 yards of the hotel, including in the hotel.
4. I would definitely request a view of the memorial as the rear view is definitely in the dark. I would take a regular room with a view over a rear corner view.
5. I have been upgraded a couple of times to a wow type suite, but that would be 2 of like 20-25 stays.
6. Never gotten room service or breakfast at all, I think, other than the complimentary coffee in the lobby.
7 If you are willing to walk, over on Vesey street there is a movie theatre and some other restaurants that will have more activity. I know that Brookfield place also has more food/activity as well - and is all indoors.
8. I have always found the staff to be efficient and welcoming.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Score8
A couple of things:
1. Depending on traffic, you may want to walk out to the main strip (out the hotel to the left) to catch a cab or an Uber. A couple of times I have spent 10-15 minutes getting 100 yards from the hotel in a car (the traffic pattern could be different now).
2. As has been reported, the rooms are of the white W style and pretty functional overall, except for the lack of outlets.
3. There are a few pretty good choices for food within 40 yards of the hotel, including in the hotel.
4. I would definitely request a view of the memorial as the rear view is definitely in the dark. I would take a regular room with a view over a rear corner view.
5. I have been upgraded a couple of times to a wow type suite, but that would be 2 of like 20-25 stays.
6. Never gotten room service or breakfast at all, I think, other than the complimentary coffee in the lobby.
7 If you are willing to walk, over on Vesey street there is a movie theatre and some other restaurants that will have more activity. I know that Brookfield place also has more food/activity as well - and is all indoors.
8. I have always found the staff to be efficient and welcoming.
thanks for the tips....

i'm well aware of the area....i used to be a regular at the millennium hilton before i gave up on hilton a few years ago....

not really counting on a suite upgrade as i understand that the property only has 3 suites....i guess i can hope for a cool corner room....
Old Apr 13, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Strange

Staying here now. All their restaurants are closed for indefinite renovations. And tonight their bar is closed for a private party. So I'm at a W Hotel with literally no food or drink service.

At least it's NY, but still?
Old Apr 14, 2017, 4:17 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I'm booked here for later this weekend and saw the same. Definitely disappointing
Old Apr 21, 2017, 7:07 pm

Programs: SPG
Originally Posted by remymartin
I'm booked here for later this weekend and saw the same. Definitely disappointing
I have been staying here. It is my favorite out of all 4 Ws in Manhattan. Yes, the restaurant is closed, but I don't think I have ever eaten at a hotel restaurant in NYC anyway. Why not take advantage of all the great things the city has to offer? Or order UberEats -- oftentimes it's faster than room service. Same goes to a bar -- there are so many great options.

I really like views of the Freedom Tower -- pretty cool falling asleep to it. Rooms are tiny though, even upgraded ones. But that's NYC. I would really like more outlets, however -- that's really a major drawback.

I find it to be easily accessible to everything I need as well.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 2:39 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
I had a nice stay here - an extremely generous upgrade, pre-stay reach out and so forth. I would stay here again.

​​
​​​​​
Old May 21, 2017, 10:00 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
I had a last minute stay here. Upgraded to a Fab room b/c they didn't like me enough to give me a suite, which was available, but not a standard suite... I think it counts as a failure, but that's a different thread. No USB charging anywhere. Seriously? In re: restaurant, that was easily the least of my concerns, but pretty surprising that everything has been shuttered. Hope whatever they are doing is worth the squeeze, but it also explains why this costs as much as a moderately priced Aloft. Alt Breakfast Amenity is $10 Starbucks gift card, which is laughable on its face. You try to get breakfast for two w/ a $10 Starbucks GC in NYC.
Old May 22, 2017, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uxb
Upgraded to a Fab room b/c they didn't like me enough to give me a suite, which was available, but not a standard suite... I think it counts as a failure, but that's a different thread.
there are no standard suites at this property....they only have 3 suites & all are considered specialty suites....
Old May 22, 2017, 11:14 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
there are no standard suites at this property....they only have 3 suites & all are considered specialty suites....
Well aware. They could've if they had wanted to though. I suppose I should be happy that they cleaned the room.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:22 am

Hey all: considering W, Westin and Chatwall for 2 nights this upcoming weekend for my wife and I and our 10 month old. Is Chatwall the easy answer?
Old May 22, 2017, 11:32 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Question questions for clarity

Originally Posted by gumercindo
Hey all: considering W, Westin and Chatwall for 2 nights this upcoming weekend for my wife and I and our 10 month old. Is Chatwall the easy answer?
I would check out the NYC master thread. Have you reviewed that thread? If not, please review that thread and ask any detailed questions. There is no "easy" answer since your question is vague.

I say that as NYC has multiple W's and Westin's. I do not want to assume you are only interested in the W Downtown. What properties are you interested in? You can also look at individual property threads.
Old May 22, 2017, 2:07 pm

Thanks, Ken. I'll cheek that thread out.
Old May 23, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: Delta, Marriott, Kimpton
Originally Posted by gumercindo
I would also check out the W Union Square. Rates are decent for this weekend (we are doing a staycation one night this weekend) and the rooms are bigger than the W on Lex. Hope this helps.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.